And On Tonight's Menu........

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Baccala1976, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

2. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    People should immediately stop regulating everything.

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Ban salt? Wut the hell man.

Pepper won't approve

4. Baccala1976

Spinderella won't like it either (ba-doo-doom)

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    epic idiocy thankfully that ban is likely to never happen. if it did it would cripple the restaurant industry there.

6. Baccala1976

Ain't no way the honorable Mayor Bloomberg is going to let that happen.

7. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

This is where one would ask "What the fuck for?"

Ok so NY resturants are banned from using salt because some people can't manage their cholesterol, big frigging whoop. If they can't manage what they eat it's their problem, not the one serving the dish.

Actually, scratch that. Salt has nothing to do with Cholesterol. It's just that high-cholesterol foods have alot of salt in them for taste. If someone wants salt on their food, whether it's a spec or enough to fill an oil tanker, it's their choice and their problem.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    So... only freshwater fish on the menu then? What about pickles or other preserves? Would... would powerade still be allowed?

I'm pretty sure this idea was just to bring attention to the idea of excess salt consumption, seeing as salt is actually pretty essential to human health. At least, I hope it was just for that purpose.

Encouraging restaurants, especially those who make fast food or prepare processed foods, to cut back on salt isn't that bad an idea though. I'm not sure reading this article if the bill is for the 25% reduction they mentioned, or a total ban though. They should probably be more clear about that to avoid sounding like alarmists.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  9. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This sounds more like a trial balloon being floated to gauge public response than anything that actually has a chance of passing right now...but I could definitely see it happening in the future. Even so, I'd just carry a small container of salt with me when I go out to eat. Because when salt is outlawed, only outlaws will have salt.

I think you're forgetting that this is America, the land where no one is responsible for the negative consequences of their own personal choices any more. Where anything bad that happens is always someone else's fault and the solution is not to exert some willpower and change one's own behavior, but to instead run to the government and demand they not allow anyone to choose to do anything with a potentially negative outcome.

10. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Clearly, people can no longer be held responsible for their own actions, this man is a hero for making the tough decisions for us.

Seriously, wtf. I cannot stand things like this. Like others have stated, it isn't the chefs fault if people can't regulate their diets. Its called moderation, eat a salad once and awhile.

11. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

I like salt on my salat :) 

I hope they do pass the ban. D'you know the killing you could make bootlegging salt?

12. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Rolling my eyes so hard at this.

Not the idea of banning salt, but at all the fatties getting up in arms over it. Also the yellow journalism about a "OMG SALT BAN" when apparently the call is simply to reduce sodium content of foods. Im all for this. Shitty restaurants need to stop disguising their shitty food in layers of salt. Its tricking stupid people with no taste. The personal end result is that I have to go someplace like Chili's when I am in a group of people looking for something to eat because some idiot will agree that a over-salted slab of meat is "amazing!".

13. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Salt in it's self is not bad for you. MSG is awful. Sea salt is best.
    Diet-soda is worse for you than regular soda as the sugar-substitute they use is basically rat-poisoning. Don't do diet, just do less soda.
    Generally, everything within moderation.........................

14. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The call to reduce sodium is something else that Angell and the city are working on, as stated in the article. The specific bill that the article is actually talking about...

...seems to be fairly clear: This bill is going to prohibit, forbid or bar (or ban, if you will) restauranteurs from using salt in any form in the preparation of any food.

15. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

As someone with hereditary High Blood Pressure and does not use iodized salt at all, this is a good thing. Of course, Sea Salt is much better in usage and should be recommended as a healthier alternative.

Besides, it's not banning restuarants from putting a salt shaker on the table for those who like it saltier.

16. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

My mom went on reg sodas for the Christmas holidays and lost weight. I always feel bloated after a diet cola and that splenda crap makes my teeth hurt.

Pure cane sugar FTW!

17. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    um...don't you need some salt in your diet to live?

18. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This idiot should be permanently hooked up to a seawater I.V.

19. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Not to drag politics into this, but whomever submitted this bill should be drug out of the courthouse and beaten with rolled up newspapers until he (or she don't remember) dies of paper cuts.

20. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Ohh that was unclear. First they mentioned the bill for the state then they mentioned efforts for the city for some reason. That'll learn me to stop trying to get into the meat of the article.

But still, this is a publicity bill, or a not so clever attempt at strategic bargaining. Dont worry, people will still be able to waddle into their restaurants to enjoy their salt and sugar. There just might be a little bit less salt in it from now on if something like this passes.