And Hugo Weaving Loves Transformers Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much. Ouch.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by neospark1, Feb 15, 2010.

1. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well at least about Orson we know that he was really bummed that he voiced a villain from some toy based kid show.

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

Oh, you know. Stuff you hear. From around.

But most of it is inference on my part, educated guesses... based largely on my being an all around awesome and super-intelligent human being who is fundamentally better than other people.

Man, Frank was over at my place the other night (Poker Night) and you should have heard some of the choice things he had to say about Transformers. Whooeee... get a few beers in that guy, and he'll tell ya.. that's for sure! :lol 

zmog

3. Autobot_Wall-E

Autobot_Wall-E The Musical

Fire him. I don't care who you get instead but fire him. If you can't even watch the movie you just got paid to act in, get out.

4. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Um.... Did you not see this post?
    By your rationale, Johnny Depp should be fired from every movie he's in too. Yeesh.

5. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Yeah, I remember that. I never thought I'd hear Fred from Scooby Doo say words like that. Though I often dreamed about it.

6. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Do you realise how many noteable actors make a point of not seeing their own movies? It's something that crops up a lot in bios/interviews. Actors, like others working in many professions, don't really care about the details of their work - they're in it for the money. I'm the same, once I leave the office I forget about work for the day. Should I 'get out' for the same reason then?

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Clearly. And put back all that stationary!

8. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Dagnammit. :(  *puts pens back. And calculator. And stapler. And PC.*

9. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Back to the original point of the topic, can I ask why it even matters if Weaving reviews his finished work or not? Does that decision on his part lessen his ability as an actor and voice actor at all?

[EDIT]

And fyi, for the heck of it I shot Mr. Welker an email regarding how he feels about Transformers beyond memories of work. Maybe he'll get back to me, maybe he won't, but if he does respond I'll post the reply here.

10. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are many, many valid reasons to be critical of ROTF. This isn't one of them.

11. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Could you be a little more ridiculous about this?

I've known a lot of actors and folks in TV in my time. There are a LARGE amount of actors who do not watch their finished work.

There are a lot of different reasons, but the main reason I have heard over and over again was that they couldn't enjoy it, because they were constantly self-critiquing their performance. They'd be watching it and picking apart their performance, and it would just get too stressful.

Also, believe it or not, a lot of movie actors have a touch of stage fright and get uneasy watching themselves. There are plenty of other reasons.

Not everybody who is on TV is like the obnoxious guy on the news who thinks it's amazing that his image will be on the little box in his living room or the kiss-ass reality star who loves hearing his own voice and seeing his own face. Despite what we expect, most comedians don't watch their own stand-up acts, most musicians don't constantly listen to their own music, and most writers don't go back and read their own books. Radio guys don't go back and listen to their old shows.

I collect old radio shows, including old countdown shows. When I talk to guys like Shadoe Stevens, Dave Sholin, Joel Denver or other high-profile disc jocks, they invariably are surprised that anybody still listens to their shows--or that they were anything more than "one and done"--and they generally don't own a whole lot of tapes, records or mp3s of their performances.

And it doesn't necessarily boil down to "just a job." A lot of artists are satisfied with their work as it is and don't really feel the need to go back to it once its done.

12. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

I'm just gonna note that most of the comedians I know review their performances and how the material went over. They also go over timing, subject, and mood change. The magicians I know are almost obsessive about reviewing their performances, and with good reason.

As for actors though, I can't argue with this. They get feedback as they work from the director and other actors, and in reviews afterwards. many actors do not watch their own films as you stated above. Of course others just don't give a rat's ass about some crap they did to get paid. Michael Caine and Jeremy Irons, 2 fine actors, have been in garbage just for paychecks and, after things die down a little, are not at all shy about admitting it. Caine famously said of Jaws: The Revenge "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

He's also said "First of all, I choose the great roles, and if none of these come, I choose the mediocre ones, and if they don't come, I choose the ones that pay the rent."

Wise man.

- Coeloptera

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :eek: 

:lol 

14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    I'm a theater student myself, and have been in a good number of plays. The ONLY reason I have watched many of them on tape is because my dad likes recording them and he doesn't know how to put them on DVD.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't you just hate looking back at your performance? Hearing yourself talk? I know I do. Same goes for drawings..don't care if people think something is awesome, when you are looking at yourself, or something you made, you get critical and embarrassed at the same time.. :p 

16. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Good point. And of course the reason for that is not because they want to enjoy their show. They watch it for the same reason that a football coach watches and re-watches old game film: to see what went wrong, where, and how to fix it or, conversely, to see what went right and how to do it again. They do NOT watch it because they are huge fans of football.

17. SoundFire Prime

SoundFire Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Funny, the other day I was reading an article via a link on TF Wiki that had an interview with Eric Idle (dated around 2003) and when the '86 Transformers movie was brought up in the conversation, he said that he's never once seen the movie. And here we have Hugo Weaving saying that he hasn't seen the two Transformers movies he's been in. That's irony for ya...

18. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Irony... This word you use. I do not think it means what you think it means.

/Inigo Montoya

Or there's the worse side of the coin... folks like Stan Bush who hang around the Transformers fandom trying desperately to wring one more CD sale out of a flopped career. Which would you prefer?