And here I thought AFA was really worth it and credible!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mweeuser, Aug 20, 2009.

1. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not! I think the whole thing is a scam and the typical greedy mentality of, "lets come up with a way to make people think it's a more rare authenticated collectable and then add 500% or more to the price!" Ok, that rant is done. But as a true collector of G1 I have to say this one is pretty pathetic,

G1 1984 THUNDERCRACKER ? AFA 75 EX+/NM ? PRE RUB - eBay (item 190315893175 end time Sep-18-09 06:45:56 PDT)

Ok, the new loose AFA stuff is dumb enough, you g1 connoisseurs look at the closeup of the underside. See anything? Guys, remember that girl whose carpet didn't match the drapes? That thing doesn't even have a correct matching pair of wings, mains are solid/short peg, tail ones are hollowed/long peg. I guess there really is a fine line between experts and idiots when it comes to AFA. Makes me wonder how many reissue, knockoff parts or even figures get graded and sold for hundreds.

Thank you for reading my rant!

2. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    I've never understood the value or some poeple's obsession with the AFA. It seems rediculous in so many ways to me.

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    why don't you do the right thing and report it to ebay then? Save the poor soul that doesn't know any better.

4. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I had the money, I'd buy an afa g1 figure and proceed to open it up... and take pictures. Man to be able to open a fresh g1 toy again....

5. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Apparently AFA caters to a niche market so someone must enjoy it enough to pay for the services. That's all good. I guess grading loose stuff is just another way showing their "authority".

6. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I heard they were grading loose samples now, but this is the first time I've seen something for sale on eBay. It seems more common for GI Joe figures since most people ditched the cards.

Still, $220 for a fair condition Thundercracker is ridiculous.

7. mweeuser

mweeuser Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    all opinions of AFA aside, the issue I see is they are selling a figure that has accessories mismatched from various releases of the figure. You would never have had that figure as it is in the AFA case sold back when it was in retail. They have no regard to authenticity at all. So their "authority" is pretty limited unless your a sucker and don't really know much about what you're buying in the first place.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ain't the first time, won't be the last. Meh.

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

AFA is bullshit? Say it ain't so!

I think AFA is a great way for people to inflate the value of their collection. I remember one guy who had some non-show BW character MOSC that he'd had AFA graded. He couldn't understand why he couldn't get his asking price of $300 for a toy that normally sold for around $20-30.

10. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

You know, I was just checking the poop-senders thread on GD a couple days ago, and this thread now just gave me an idea...

11. trystendaycey

trystendaycey Captain CAAAAAAVEMAAANNN!

Although I wouldn't mind having some of the boxes they are displayed in!

12. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay doesn`t give a shit about people selling KO`s. They occasionally do something, but very rarely

13. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    As with buying anything, caveat emptor man.

Whether it's sealed, AFA, loose, etc, doing your own homework, rather than relying on others is essential.

One of my favourite AFA mistakes:

HIGHENDTFS.COM | "Seperating the Crème from the Crap"

On a similar note, there's an Overlord on ebay right now that's boxed and complete, but has a mixture of Euro/Jap parts, resulting in colour mis-matches.

14. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    This makes me upset when I always had a dream of buying AFA graded G1's.

Ummmmm screw that now. For some reason I have just been convinced to buy loose samples.

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I once had it in mind that at some point I'd track down AFAs of the entire '84 line... but my desire to do so has decreased dramatically over the last few years.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    personally i could careless about AFA graded toys as i like to play with mine and im not the kind of collector who brags about how much my collection is worth

17. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Neither am I, but I still collect AFA G1.

Kkthxbb.

18. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    well for me it partly budgetary reasons its hard enough to get G1 with the current prices and AFA examples are always out of my price range

19. Mr. Ginrai

Mr. Ginrai Godmaster

Here is my opinion (apologize in advance if the seller is a member here):

Check this out: G1 1985 BLITZWING ? AFA 85 NM+ ? w/Box & Inserts - eBay (item 200367404561 end time Aug-26-09 05:29:38 PDT)

This is the first loose AFA graded transformer I ever saw. I almost fell out of my chair. This thing made an 85 (even with the sticker wear, look closely). Now, it is in very nice shape, but I am pretty sure (correct me if I am wrong) that the AFA loose figure grades are determined by the condition of the figure and accessories. I don't think it matters that this one has the box and instructions and used sticker sheet, just the toy, gun, sword, and missles matter.

The thing that kills me is that I have 5 or 6 loose Blitwings that are unused and/or even nicer than this one. So does that mean I might have one that would grade a 95 or *gasp* 100? I think if I did get one graded and it was higher I doubt I would get 200 for it. Who the hell would want it?

The point of AFA is for those people that want the creme of boxed/sealed toys. The only loose stuff that should get graded is prototypes, short runs, bagged figures, mail aways, if it came "loose" originally, etc. As the OP pointed out there is a large window for intentional/unintentional deception due to piecing figures together, repros, kos, etc.

This is not the way to go especially with TFs and Joes and similar toys unless they fall into the categories I listed above.

The cases are really really nice as someone said previously and would be great for those who don't have boxes but remember those are probably custom made for each loose toy.

I know its not an affordable option for some people (or me for that matter) but I think if you are going to collect AFA stuff you should not go for the loose stuff.

The only other gripe I have is that you are paying AFA to basically tell you how well your sh*t stacks up to someone else's. I don't mind if you have something super tough to find - but we have all heard the good and bad AFA stories, whether it graded too low or too high, the tape came loose during shipping, it looks double taped, etc.

Point is I know how nice my sh*t is and you guys all know how nice your sh*t is. If someone doesn't believe me, I say just look at my [Toy Name] and you will see the condition its in. I don't think it's worth the time and money to pay someone for this "loosely" based grading service (as opposed to somewhat worth it for sealed toys).

I have never graded any toy that I owned but I have thought about it for a two obscure, sealed toys I recently obtained (and I am really on the fence, most likely won't do it). Really though, I just can't see the point for the loose figures though, even if we didn't have the problems to contend with and TFs were 100% identical. They're already out - put 'em in a case and play with them/look at them whenever you want...

20. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I wouldn't mind picking up one or two of those cases.

So who's grand idea was it anyway to start the AFA?