And here comes the next crossover.......

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Tekkaman Blade, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Newsarama.com : SDCC 08 - WAR OF KINGS BREWING AT MARVEL Here comes the next one, anyone else getting tired of all these crossovers? Marvel has been crossing over almost all their titles for over five years now. There isn't much non world shattered continuity left to keep me interested any more. I miss secret identities and personal lives that made me think the characters were just like everybody else. They've been at war for way too long now, it's getting depressing. Comics are supposed to lift your spirits, not depress you.

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    dude, i'm so with you...i'll probably pass on this...i'm not a big fan of marvel space stories, though nova and GOTG have been really good so far, and i did like annihilation too, but i am so tired of mega events constantly happening...i too just want stories that are good, not a bunch of lame attempts at crossing things over for the sake of sales...but then again, if this ends up being a good story, i might buy it...i just never really followed the shi'ar or inhumans, so they'd have to make it very accessable...

and, i bet marvel has another BIG marvel event lined up for next summer, not counting this...marvel never focuses on their space stories...so next summer with be CIVIL INVASION or SECRET HULK or HOUSE OF BENDIS or something...

3. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's actually the crossovers that got me back into buying Marvel. I do agree that they could pull back a notch and focus on individuality a bit, but for someone that hasn't bought comics in about 10 years this is all fascinating to catch up on.

I'm really digging Secret Invasion, too.

-D

4. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Secret Invasion has gotten me to buy a butt-ton more new comics than I ever did. I didn't get Anihilation, but a new space crossover could be fun if it has alot of the good characters... soemthing along the lines of Guardians of the Galaxy plus other guys.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Rachel Summers is there, ergo so am I.

6. Don Cassetti

Don Cassetti Active Member

I liked the first half of Civil War, World War Hulk was fun, Messiah Complex was awesome, and Secret Invasion has been good so far... but I getting burned out on these things. My wallet needs a rest, thankfully this doesn't sound as interesting to me as the others were. Then again, I felt the same about WWH before it came out...

7. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I haven't read a Marvel comic in over 6 months now. House of M, Civil War, WWH, all huge disappointments. Annihilation was pretty good at least.

Quesada though has pissed me off beyond anything. Can't stand him. I refuse to get another Marvel comic until he's gone.

8. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    Enough crossovers. When you need gigantic universe sprawling crossovers to keep readers interested then you know your doing bad. Crossovers should be a topping. Not the pizza.

Plus if you keep killing off and bringing characters back you lose the value of the effect, like putting out too many damn crossovers. After awhile you see people like us going "eh, another crossover."

It's like "OH GEEZ SPIDER-MAN AND THE X-MEN ARE WORKING TOGETHER TO FIGHT A VILLIAN!!! OH NOES HE KILLED ALL OF CHARACTERS EXCEPT SOME CHARACTER THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT! *BOOM* Yay, X character just sacrificed himself to stop the villian!! Now lets spend 30 issues showing remorse before his inevitable return!!"

9. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    I still can't figure out how he thinks a deal with the devil is better than a separation or a divorce.

10. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    i kind of like that they have developed it as ONE universe for the most part tho, throughout these crossover charachters, well atleast as much as they can. So what goes on in one is alittle more chance of carrying over to the others, like the new avengers pre the back story issues. and its hard to not have crossovers when the new avengers and in my opinion the ONLY avengers include spiderman and wolverine etc. it just sort of makes it more real to me that all the charachters in the Marvel U are interacting and aware of eachother more

11. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dont really consider this the same as civil war or WWH. This is basically the next step in the anhilitaion story. The reason these crosovers are so much better then the ones that take place on earth is that they are relelvant. Lets face it marvels cosmic heroes though kinda cool can not carry their own books. However, by keeping them all knitted together and putting them through hell every year you get some great story telling. These guys know how to do crossovers and could teach bendis a few things.
    Well...It's not that bendis or millar or morrison are bad writers, thats not it at all. The problem with their crossovers is they are not committed to the chracters they are messing with. Millar can say oh cool lets have spiderman reveal his idenity but he doesnt have to try and salvage a book out of it, thats somebody elses problem. These guys go into other peoples sandboxes destroy them and go "Wow that was a fun ride." Then they leave. They dont give a shit what was there before or what will come after then the next guy comes in and says what the hell is this and retcons everything

12. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I think this may be the straw that breaks my comic camal's back. I mean, yeah, I also voiced being tired of events when both WWH and Seccret Invasion rolled around (only to buy both), but yeah, I'm spent. I'm glad that the only two Marvel ongoings I get aren't likely to be invovled in this.

To whoever used the "toppings/pizza" metaphor, kudos. That was brilliant.

13. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Please someone make Quesada resign. It's getting to the point where I almost want to wish bodily harm on the twit.

14. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    DC has just as many, but the difference is you can read Batman RIP, Legion of 3 worlds, Rouges revenge etc, by themselves. Marvel wants you to read 26 different series to understand what is going on.

15. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    That's not entirely true. The Incredible Hercules tie in to the Secret Invasion is a really good example to that.

While At DC Detective Comics, Robin, Nightwing and Batman are all in one crossover, and seem to contradict each other.

At least Marvel puts out one cross over at a time. At DC there's Final Crisis and it's tie ins, Trinity, Reign in Hell and Batman RIP.

Lets not turn this into a pissing match between the companies; they're both over doing the crossovers. Luckily this looks like a nice big cosmic event. : D

16. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Though they claim to be the same Story Robin, Detective, and Night Wing are all individual stories set before(detective) or at the same time (Robin and Nightwing)as RIP They can be read by themselves.

17. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I wouldn't really count Trinity or Reign in Hell as crossovers. They're both limited series that exist pretty much in isolation from anything else. And while Final Crisis may have its fair share of tie-ins, at least they're all related miniseries and one-shots. We're not seeing it bleed into almost every book DC is publishing like Secret Invasion or Infinite Crisis. Actually, come to think of it, most of Marvel's recent crossovers have had both tie-ins with other books and tie-in miniseries. I'm not saying DC is totally innocent in this affair, but you have to admit that Marvel is milking these things way more (SI has, what, 90-some tie ins?).

18. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i too would say marvel hits overkill on their tie-ins...i like the way DC is doing it...its multiple stories, all taking place at the same time (final crisis, rogues revenge, revelations, legion of 3 worlds) but none are truly necessary to figure out the rest...

19. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    DC is just as bad...If not worse.

I used to only read DC and not touch Marvel.

Now it's the other way around.

Still this new crossover doesn't interest me

20. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    It's the opposite for me. I used to buy way more marvel than DC, but got tired of crossovers with lame outcomes and deals with the devil for stupid out of character reasons. The only Marvel titles I get right now are daredevil,Captain America, and Ultimate Spiderman.