An open letter to Steve Jablonsky

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Dear Steve...

There's been a lot of congratulations passed around to the voice actors, the character actors, Our Lord And Savior Michael Bay and, of course, plenty of thanks bestowed upon Hasbro.

...but I think a few folks have forgotten about you, so I wanted to take a minute to let you know -

You did a hell of a job with the orchestral score. It was fantastic.

Now, I won't lie to you - there were, pretty recognizably, some "Michael Bay action movie" style themes in the music, but that's understandable; this movie matched those themes very well.

...but the use of music, the timing and your ability to blend the themes with each scene was remarkable. You added a beautiful, well-orchestrated (pun intended) pulse to a powerful action film...and you did it really well.

I don't know if you were in any way involved in making sure that there wasn't any singing during the "rock and roll car chase" music, but I really appreciate the fact that there wasn't. If you had a say in that, thank you. (On the other hand, if you were advocating singing during those scenes, then we shall fight with knives. Kidding.)

Still, all in all, I figure there are more than a few die-hard movie score folks amongst the Transformers fandom (and, consequently, the movie audience) and they'll be eagerly looking forward to seeing your score in stores or on iTunes.

Thanks again, Steve. You did an amazing job.

--Aaron Smith / OWAT

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    seconded. the music for the chase scene was awesome, and the music that plays when the autobots are coming to earth all the way to the end of prime's first transformation has been stuck in my head since monday. such an amazing piece.

3. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

The music sounded like it was nicked from the new Doctor Who.

4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, parts I like:

1. Sam and his gf getting into Bumblebee to meet the Autobots

2. Autobots landing on earth and scanning for alternate modes.

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The music for the arrival of the Autobots was FANTASTIC.

6. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    The Autobot arrival scene was AWESOME.

The only thing the score needed IMO was some version of the Transformers theme in the main battle.

Possibly a derivation of Vince DiCola's riffs or something. Basically some way to extend the score into full battle music.

7. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lord and Savior Michael Bay? Are you kidding me? Die Hard 4.0 is way better than Transformers. No fuzzy camera movement, no double-flip camera takes, no MTV style editing just pure Die Hard action you can clearly see.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    thank you mr jablonsky for that most generic score.

pass the salt?

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    why dont you go post over at diehard4rulez.com then?

10. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

LOL DH4.0 way better than Transformers? Are you kidding me? LOL Hey you may have medical problems where your eyes can't follow fast enough for the camera shakes, but I don't. What I saw was clearly DH4 pwnage. DH4, like I explained in your previous thread, was unoriginal at best and provides absolutely nothing groundbreaking. If you have seen just about every action flick out there, DH4 is cookie cutter with a little bit of sprinkles on top. DH4 for the lose!

11. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:
    I write music myself, so I think I pretty know how hard it is to write music for a movie, especially for a part like the scene where the Autobots arrived. It was so spot on and so beautiful. I also heard the 'Decepticons' Theme' (the one from the Burger King site) a few times throughout the movie, it was magnificent.

Jablonsky did a great job!

:) 

12. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought the score really help make the movie. The Autobots arrival would have been about %40 as emotional without its music. Thanks!

13. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Oh yeah I agree the backround music was definetly a huge contribution to the awesome factor of this movie. Plus points for not using the themes and music from the 80s cartoon and movie.

14. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

Jablonsky does great work, and this film was no exception. I really want the original score for this.

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    Viper, Nuopus, Sector Seven...is there any way you could possibly not turn this thread - which is supposed to be praise for the film's music composer - into a lover/hater debate? I mean, honestly - is it possible?

16. EagleEyeJoe

EagleEyeJoe Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the score and I will add my voice to those who say the Autobot arrival score made the scene. Yes, the FX was great, but the score just promised something.. almost spiritual. Like your hero is coming to help you and save the day. It was grand and solem at the same time. You knew something big was happening. For a score to convey that, it is worthy of praise.

17. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Agreed. I enjoyed the score to the film alot. And as much as I like the song from The Used that was played during the chase scene, not including the vocals made it stronger.

18. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I can’t really remember the music too much, but if the fact that I had goose bumps the entire time and the music had much to do with it, then I can say he did a great job.

19. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    After hearing his score for Steamboy, I knew Jablonsky would do something spectacular.

I'm glad he didn't disappoint. I really loved his inclusion of choral pieces into the overall score.

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    The arrival of the Autobots was, probably the first scene in the film where Jablonsky's score got me all teary & emotional. From that point on, it was just...whoo.