An old fan looking back, appreciating the new

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Azure, May 22, 2012.

1. Azure

Azure Member

HI all,

I just thought I'd start a thread about transformers prime in conjunction with Transformers G1 looking back and comparing the two, cuz it's been on my mind a lot recently.

You see back in the 1980's transformers G1 was my favourite show, I grew up on it. My favourite characters being Optimus, ironhide, ratchet, wheeljack, bumblebee and ofc Grimlock. And you know it's not weird seeing things differently compared to the two series, it's just different compared to those times then to now.

Example being: We get a story about the decepticons planning to get more energon, starscream voicing his dislike of megatron, Autobots getting wind of their plans a fight between the cons and bots starts and Megatron retreats when he can't win.

Sure there wasn't a hell of a lot of character development back then and as a kids show it was always the story of good vs evil where 9 times out of 10 the bots often prevailed.

The voice actors of the series were great and really played their parts well and really gave life to each transformer or rather the more central or often seen bot or con. Sadly many of those great voice actors have passed away ie, Chris latta who voiced starscream/wheeljack and Don Messick who voiced ratchet and Scatman Crothers who voiced jazz back in G1 (Yes these three stand out for me).

Then fast forward a tiny bit to the transformers movie where for the 1st time it shows the cons being far more ruthless then in the G1 series, killing a lot of the autobots and some cons too also got killed or injured. (As you all know many bots or cons when in the series were injured or close to death were simply repaired).

But looking back concerning the G1 series and it's continuation with Rodimus taking the mantle of prime and rolling with it, I can't really say I liked hot rod or the new generation of bots taking over for all those that were killed off in the movie. Yes it was a continuing franchise that had to keep growing and going in new directions but I couldn't really resonate or grow to like these bots as I did with the G1 bots. The only saving grace though is the dinobots were still there with grimlock and some old characters were returning, ie starscreams ghost. But after many of my favourites were offed, it just became a show to watch and that I grew up with or rather a show that helped me grow up on a more positive level.

Ok let's fast forward to where we stand now with a new series as you know called transformers Prime: Now straight off the bat the CGI in this series is amazing and that the new character designs for a majority of the old G1 bots and cons are well suited and much better for a more realistic view of the times. There's actual character development with mostly each bot and con, on their views, feelings, partners and situations and the show gives it a more humane feel to it, as realistic as it were with everyday situations we all face. Not only that it's no longer what I'd call a kids show anymore, it feels like it's for all ages and far more enjoyable then I remember way back in the G1 series. And let's not also forget theres a plot with each episode, some more interesting then the others, some with suspense and a wonder of what's going to happen next time and not to mention even episode references shown (Ie one of primes blades still hasnt been repaired when it was broken in his last fight with megatron).

But the series also does have it's faults also but these are just personal gripes with me so I don't expect anyone to agree with me.

1. No ironhide. Sorry but Prime, Ironhide, ratchet, bumblebee and wheeljack were often if not always together in G1 and not to mention Ironhide was or is Primes oldest friend back in G1. It's sad not to see Ironhide there kicking sum con ass and it would have been equally cool if peter cullen could come bk as the voice for hide as well just to give it that old G1 feel to a great character^^

2. No Grimlock/dinobots. Haven't seen them either however Im hoping were building up to them finally appearing soon as they were pretty kick ass and Im rather curious to how they would be developed character wise with a brand new series. Hopefully in a direction that would suit the fans but maybe in a fusion of the old personality of the dinos as we remember them bk in G1 with perhaps something new and fresh, I dunno honestly.

3. Soundwave doesn't actually speak. Well he does when repeating voice recordings he's been listening in on and repeating but Soundwave himself has never actually talked, (at least I don't think so). Yeah he's the real strong silent type but it was how he spoke bk then that made him such a cool character back then^^

4. Altho it's explained that B had his voice box torn out by megatron, I miss the voice actor from G1 who voiced B back in the day. Can get annoying at times with all the beeps and not to mention this seems to have continued from the TF movies.
    *Thoughts on the bots and cons*

Optimus: Prime is and has always been as I remember him. A leader, warrior, a wealth of knowledge and compassion (and the kinda guy you would look up to as a father figure, I know I did) If anything has changed that I've noticed is that yes he has become more 'ruthless' or determined to try and bring an end to the cons and their conquest for power. We all know prime wants it to end peacefully but when that is no longer and option no matter how long he wants to believe megatron can change. He's stepping up trying to sever his memories of the past and his feelings with them in order to protect all that's good. Definetly showing more of a backbone, so yeah I'm liking how some things are slowly changing but he's still the same prime we all grew up with.

Ratchet: He's sarcastic, grumpy, often annoyed and can get quite personal when it comes to anything scientific even in lengths of taking great pride in it. He helps out the team anyway he can but often his grumpy or old attitude can make him a tiny bit of a loner as this ratchet seems to enjoy his own company, looking and taking care of situations from onlookers point of view. But like prime he is highly intelligent and wise and an obvious 2nd in command as noted when prime went missing. I actually enjoy this incarnation of ratchet the most compared to any other version he's appeared in. There's far more depth and personality to him and the voice actor jeffrey combs truly brings ratchet to life.

Wheeljack: Ok he's only been in 3 episodes (correct me if im wrong) But this incarnation of wheeljack is a whole lot different compared to G1. He's badass, a loner, who likes to kick ass and ask questions later (Kinda like ironhide). He is the loose cannon of team prime and often prefers his own company but when asked he will assist anyway he can. I think its sad that he doesn't fully stay with the rest of the bots but at the sametime with his losing fellow wreckers and other bots over the centuries it's made it easier for him to accept or rather not get too close to the other bots in case feelings get in the way (thats what I think). Sure Bulk is his best friend but he knows that he can take care of himself and the others look after him. I think James Horan does an exceptional job of voicing Wheeljack and I hope to see far more of him in the series.

Megatron: Ok straight off the bat NOBODY voices Megatron better then Frank Welker PERIOD. The same applies for peter cullen who voices prime. Sorry if that offends some fans out there who liked the other voice actors who did prime/megatron but they have nothing on cullen and welker. Megatron in G1 was ruthless and cunning, always wanting to conquer whatever he desired however went things back then went pairshaped he often retreated to fight another day. Something I could always picture starscream doing more often then the con leader.

However Megatron in TFP is still as ruthless and cunning as ever, perhaps even more so then ever before. However it has been noted that megatron isn't completely malicious. He has shown small bits of compassion within his inner circle of trusted cons and even gone to even greater lengths to work with the autobots to achieve his goals but only when its absolutely neccessary or by the fact that he alone has no choice. There's also more fight in this incarnation, by the fact he doesn't retreat, he doesn't cower from a challenge and he will do absolutely whatever is neccessary to achieve his goals as no will or desire is greater then his own. His is the only authority that should be followed and obeyed and he rewards those who perform to his expectations but on the flipside he berates and shouts at those who fail to bring him what he wants. Of course megatron isn't stupid, he could easily dispatch all those who fail him but as malicious as he is or can be he needs every con he has on his side to crush prime and co and he's even gone to lengths to give those who have failed him more chances to prove themselves. I'm looking forward to see how megatron becomes further developed and im curious as to how his character will further grow.

Starscream: This incarnation of scream is everybit if not better then the G1 version. He's ruthless, cowardly, selfish, deceptive but still holds a small linger of honour. Steve Blum voicing scream was the best move they ever made and by the fact he's highly entertaining and also by the fact that scream isn't either a bot or a con (even tho it still mostly points to him being a con). He's on his own, trying to achieve whatever he desires but knows fully he will never be the con leader as long as megatron lives as he really can't out match megatron in anyway physically but has shown his mind is as dastardly as ever and has on a few occassions outwitted megatron. Highly entertaining and fun to watch, I wanna see more scream.

Soundwave: Silent and badass. Wish he'd show up more and actually speak, perhaps get more of a pivital role. But always gd to see him. Intensly loyal to megatron and the con cause and to no other.

I would voice my opinions for the other bots and cons but unfortunetly the others don't grab or interest me sadly. I know its been a long read but I had to get these thoughts out of my head and for my appreciation for transformers by the fact that it's 2012 and still going on strong^_^

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's almost exactly my feelings. I grew up with the old G-1 Transformers and pretty much lost interest after the '86 movie. Didn't get back into Transformers again until this year when my son turned four and we started watching the live action movies, old cartoons and the new Prime cartoon together. I actually like TF Prime better and he likes the old G1 cartoon better. We usually watch the new episode on the DVR on Sundays when I get home from work. My wife asked the other night if I was recording them for him or myself. Nice post.

3. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

I'll piggyback on bobby's comment and congratulate you on a solid analysis of TF Prime.

I am in the same boat with both of you: the first few seasons of Transformers up to, and including, the '86 movie represent the height of my infatuation with the series. There simply was nothing better as a youngster.

That being said, my opinion of Prime is that I think they knocked the characters of Optimus, Megatron, and Starscream out of the park. The voice acting is wonderful and as a fan I am very pleased. The other members of the cast are great, and while I agree on your comments relating to Ironhide and the Dinobots, we still have at LEAST a season and a half left of the show.

As a late 20-something Transformers fan, I think Prime resonates with me and evokes that G1 feeling with a modern flavor. It's special.

4. Drunk-Wheeljack

Drunk-Wheeljack MrTomo

this pretty much sums up my opinion on the series

5. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great post, Azure. Long, but well worth the read. I too grew up with G1 and fell off the wagon after the '86 movie. I think the show's timeslot moved or something, but I never saw it on TV like I had before. I didn't even see season 3 until I bought the dvd boxset.
    I like your analysis of TFP, though I do find the rest of the cast entertaining and likable as well. Welcome to the boards, btw. :) 

6. Stygian360

Stygian360 Well-Known Member

Great exegesis. I enjoyed most of it, but like many tend to filter out the 'wall of text' after a certain point.

I get that you like the show from G1 to today, get why you like the various characters, etc., and for the most part I agree with you. The one point I always take issue with when this topic comes up are fans who compare the G1 show to today, specifically in which characters should show up, and dislike that "things aren't like the old days".

It's not an unreasonable request to want G1 simply transplanted into whatever the new iteration of the toon is, but things obviously evolve and the old ways give way to the new. Do I like the fact that Prime isn't working alongside luminaries like Jazz, Hound, Smokescreen, Perceptor, etc., and is instead working with the same core group of Autobots season after season? Actually hell no I hate it, but there are merits to it as well that are undeniable. In the 'old days' of G1 we had new characters showing up by the bushel load practically weekly, but CGI is simply too expensive to allow for this, sadly.

So what am I driving at? Reminiscing about the old days unfortunately doesn't bring them back, and although many of us long for the days when huge teams of characters from both factions brought our favorite adventures to life each week, unfortunately those days appear gone. Let's mourn what we loved, but also celebrate what we now have because what we have today is very well animated, showcases engaging and fun stories, and keeps the franchise growing and maturing for audiences of all eras.

7. longhaulsub

longhaulsub PS3 Tag: Northporttroller

That is an outstanding post and represents many of my views, I am 39. One thing I do miss about OP and I was just thinking about this this week was he had a little bit more of humor in him back in G1, I would like to see some of that in TFP but I am very satisfied with this series. I feel like I am back in time, bursting at the seams, waiting to see the new weekly episodes, just like back in G1.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I love the show too. Unlike the live action films,I feel the writers actually are giving a crap this time to develop these charecter.

That's why i like this show because it's just not another explosionfest. :bay 

9. battlefudge

battlefudge Well-Known Member

I really enjoy Prime too. i feel like it captures the essence of what made G1 the center of my childhood imagination. I agree with so much of your post, especially ratchet.
    I actually really like that they ripped bumblebee out of the movies, I think that it is a a good move character wise. I also really like that Arcee has a purpose and is not a robotic Jem character.
    Just like everyone else I wish we had more bots and cons.
    All that said, it is really nice to see some appreciation on the boards, rather than whining.
    Good on ya!