An ode to our last "Childhood Transformers"

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TrueNomadSkies, May 23, 2011.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    So as the title suggests, what were the last transformers that we got as a kid, or otherwise before we drifted away from things for a while? Also if we can remember, what caused these guys to be our last ones for the time being, and were they also among the ones that remained on display/not buried as deep as the rest?

I know for me, it was either my Transmetal Depthcharge or Transmetal Cheetor that I got last (as a kid anyway), but I honestly can't remember in which order I came to have them. Like, I'm "thinking" it was Cheetor who came last because I recall my dad freaking the fuck out & saying that I'm too old for toys and that it'll be the last one I get (it was also one of the last BW toys that Wal-Mart had at the time), but I also remember Depthcharge being the one that I got when I was older & who always remained relevantly on display (at least in my room), even when I went through other phases.

Dinobot, Cheetor & Quickstrike followed close behind, but yeah. What were our last childhood transformers, and how relevant did they stay as we got older?

2. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had Armada Stuff. I'm trying to sell it off. My most memorable would be Super Pants Prime. It became less relevant because I discovered Armada's toys sucked for the most part do to being bogged down too much by gimmicks and taking as step back from RID. I bought a new one to stick with my other Primes, but the one I had went through hell and back.

3. Predakign2000

Predakign2000 All Hail Unicron!!!

back in the day.... Some Action Master.... I can't remember... I was at that age when you stop playing with toys and start chasing girls I guess... and actionmasters sucked!!!

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Why is this thread tagged with the word 'vagina'?

My last 'childhood Transformer' was the Decepticon Micromaster Anti-Aircraft Base. I love that set; it's still with me. Stopped collecting afterward due to none of the releases from subsequent years interesting me the slightest. It was only when the Classics line made its debut that I started purchasing TFs again.

5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    The last one I got as a kid was RID Skybyte. Then the teenage years TF rate was lower mainly because I lost my factions and I hated the modern bricks phase.

6. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    Hmm, I'm young so I think my last toy was Energon Storm Jet. I stopped getting them because I couldn't really stand when Cybertron came out; it was just a not good show.

7. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    Micromaster patrols and bases, mainly. I seem to remember 1 or 2 Action Masters in my hands way, way back... I know I've at least got a piece of Jazz's skateboard sitting in a parts bucket somewhere. But Micromasters were really the last hurrah for me before I turned my attention full time to Micro Machines (briefly) and then Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

As for what they mean to me now? I suppose it depends on how you look at it. If you feel that Mini-Cons were the successor to Micromasters, then I guess they had a large place in my heart because I was a mad fiend for Mini-Cons throughout Armada and Energon. If not, then bubkis. The lack of related media (didn't read the marvel comics as a youngin') failed to cement a lasting impression as the years waned on.

I think its really neat when a Micromaster gets homaged in a larger figure these days, like Stormcloud or Tread Bolt, or Fansproject's Warcry and Flameblast; I enjoy when that happens. But I've never felt any powerful urge to go back and get a whole gob of Micromasters to add to the collection.

8. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I think my last one was Seacon Nautilator.

9. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    The last things I got were the McDonald's Beast Wars toys... ironically, they're now the only thing I have from my childhood collection. I didn't stop collecting -because- of them, it was just a general "I'm in middle school and my parents arent buying me toys anymore and I keep forgetting to watch the show" thing.

10. VenomKing

VenomKing Well-Known Member

The last G1 I got in stores was a Nightbeat. Still have it, but Ive pretty much lost everything for it. :( 

11. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    Mine was the G1 Skydive. This was right around the time the G1 movie came out in 1986. I stopped buying Transformers back then because I thought I was too old for them (I was 10 years old at the time.)

The sad part is that the money I used to buy Skydive came from selling my older G1 figures at a neighbor's garage sale.

12. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    You're right. Action Masters really did suck ass, but from the looks of this thread (as well as part of my own collection), we weren't exactly strangers to them. The weapons that came with Optimus Prime were pretty cool, though.

Then as far as getting to the age of chasing girls (and by extension the vagina), that was definitely part of it for me as well, and so was the fact that Pokemon was coming out around that time. I know the two don't really seem to go hand in hand, but combine them both with the fact that Beast Wars (or Beasties as it was known in Canada) was ending... well, lets just say that my interest in Transformers went into hibernation.

13. sh002

sh002 Banned

lol

14. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I mostly drifted away with the release of the Cybertron toys, so my last toys were from Energon before getting back into collecting with Animated Grimlock.

15. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

Mine was Rotorstorm (he was also my second one). Afrter that i started to collect Batman figures for a little while and once i get my hands on video games, i was over with toys.

Rotf leader Optimus Prime got me back into the Transformers.

16. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    My final childhood TF was one Action Master or another. I was "getting too old for toys" as G1 was dying.

17. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    bw wolfang, hated the beast mode

18. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Vroom, followed by slog, followed by roughstuff. Roughstuff kinda killed it for me, and I was 9 so not cool anymore.

19. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I think G1 Blurr and 3 Predacons (Razorclaw, Divebomb, and Rampage) were the last 3 i bought as a "youth" (I was 16-ish at the time) I was spending my money on band equipment, guitars, etc. But I did actively display them until i was around 18-19. Then packed them up. Sold them off 2001-2002 and got into the newer ones at the time. (RID, Energon, Universe I think)

20. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    The last TF I got in my childhood that has left a strong impression on my memory was Beast Wars Cybershark - I had seen the figure once and not gotten it. I regretted that for months and very much wanted it but never came across one again...until one evening when my parents came back from running errands or something and surprised me with it. That was definitely one of the top 5 moments of my toy playing/collecting "career."