An Objective Script Review *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Poho, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    I have just finished reading the entire February script. Before I say anything, I am a hardcore TF fan, but I have seen hundreds of movies and I'm overly critical of films when I watch them. I like too look at all aspects of them in order to judge them. Sometimes I can hate a movie that I know is an excellent film, or love a movie that stank (cough cough STEALTH cough). Not to insist upon myself or anything, I'm just saying I'm not a purist, nor am I a . . . not purist.

My overall feelings about the script are that it is good, but there are a few flaws, especially as the movie goes on. There are numerous . . . not necessarily plot holes, but continuity issues. I can only assume, however, that upon being revised by Alex and Bob that these minor details were taken care of (I also assume that this version was NOT revised by them, as Frenzy was still Soundwave, etc.).

One thing that really pleased me was the humor, although sometimes it seemed almost teen-movie-ish, the jokes and wisecracks actually had me laughing out loud.

One thing that really disappointed me was the lack of screen time for the robots. The Autobots, excluding Bumblebee, arrive on Earth roughly halfway through the film, and the Decepticons don't get "animated" until nearly the end of the movie. I really hope that for the actual film, this has been adjusted, as I'm sure they all realize that people like us are going to see the Transformers movie for one reason and one reason alone. To see Transformers.

I was a little thrown off by a few of the lines. Sometimes the conversations between people seem like they're coming straight from a bad made for TV movie. Not to mention that the "Glen" character is a total Jarjar Binks.

For those of you wondering, the amount of screen time per character is kind of surprising. Here's a small tally that I did (remember, this is coming from an unfinalized script):

Most lines: Optimus Prime
    Second most lines: Megatron (despite his brief appearance in the film, which allows for no character development).
    Least lines (excluding BB): Starscream, Frenzy, and Ratchet (for the tie).
    No lines: Brawl, Bonecrusher, Blackout, Scorponok
    Most screen time: Bumblebee
    Second most screen time: Frenzy
    Least screen time: Brawl (basically none at all).
    Most asskickery: Blackout
    Least asskickery: Ironhide (WTF!?) and Ratchet.

So anyway, I'm not going to give away any important plot points, besides, they may be changed. But my final feelings on this script, were it to be made into a movie as-is:
    A decent film, with a lot of funny parts, and some ridiculously awesome, yet brief action sequences. It will be a good movie, IMHO. But if they fix it up, remove some of the stupidity, and fill in the plot holes, itll be a five-star film.

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Do you mean Brawl as in the script or Barricade (who was Brawl in the script) because Barricade (Brawl in the script) does have a few lines.

3. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    I think he meant "Devastator," whose name was changed to Brawl. Devastator was Brawl's original name in the script.

4. Poho

News Credits:
    yeah i was referring to their current names. So i mean Devastator in the script (who is now Brawl) has no lines. in fact, he's in the script for a solid two pages, and gets annihilated by bumblebee.

i like how the decepticons speak in their alien language to each other, it's pretty cool.

5. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Talk about lame. He's a freaking tank, he should be able to take down Bumblebee with one blow.

6. Poho

News Credits:
    well, SPOILERS

he does. he fires a rocket/shell thing at the kids, and BB and Ratchet lift up a truck to block the blast and protect them. the explosion sends BB flying and his legs get seared off. after this, brawl charges at him, but mikaela uses a tow truck to lift and aim BB's arm cannon and the pulverize him just in time (he was already damaged).

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

There's no such thing as an objective review, but thanks for attempting it :) 

8. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    i agree, i laughed out loud at the jokes a few times reading it too

9. Dinotron

Dinotron AA2010 13-15 AUG BE THERE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    meh! i wanna read the script! i dont wanna wait no more. just like everyone else i guess.

10. KillerZees

KillerZees Annihilator of the lesser

I think thats pretty kick ass though...a little dude like BB taking out a big ass tank.

I could be biased, BB was always my fav.

11. Poho

News Credits:
    yeah, BB does some serious hero stuff. but in all honesty, blackout causes the most pain, destruction, and havoc.

12. kjeevahh

kjeevahh n/a

News Credits:
    you should read the prequel comic then, ***SPOILERS*** he takes on megatron mano a mano, thats how he loses his voice

13. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

i don't mind bb taking out brawl, but i HATE the crane thing, thats stupid to me, hopefully that was taken out of the script, but from what i've heard, the shooting script is half new, half old. i assume the half of the script that was replaced was replaced with more transformer stuff, so we get alot more fleshed out characters, or atleast thats what i hope.

14. Poho

News Credits:
    yeah, the whole crane thing i thought was pretty stupid. there were numerous parts in the script i read where i said to myself "i really hope they change this". but there were a lot of parts where i said "that's AWESOME". so hopefully they took out the bad parts, and put in AWESOME parts; and like you said, more Transformers screen time. after all, the movie is called Transformers; not "How a dumb teenager's life is affected by some giant alien robots".

15. flamepanther

Michael Bay likes to write his own action scenes, and it's one of the things he's actually quite good at. If the new writers didn't do it, I'm sure he personally shoved in some more AWESOME in spite of them. ;) 

16. Poho

News Credits:
    you are right, Bay sure does know how to do his action scenes right! to tell you the truth, most of the things that disgruntled me while reading were in the action scenes. hopefully he completely re-wrote a lot of them, because they seemed fairly lame. there was definitely some AWESOME but not enough to balance the tremendous amount of awkward screen time with Shia TheBeef.

17. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now, now, let's not creme the poor kid til he actually falls on his face (if he does - the leaked script has potential to AVOID that)... I don't think he's done enough work to be getting ragged this early on. I think he did a good job in "Constantine", given what he had to work with, character-wise. What I find more amusing is the obvious T&A in Megan's character, which I really don't see forwarding the story in the least - after all, Carly had brains from the get-go, but Spike did just fine w/o her in his initial interactions...

Then again, to be fair, they got Josh Dushamel(sp) & Tyrese for the ladies' eye-candy :p  , since they KNOW most women that get dragged into the theater will be mom-aged :confused2 

18. flamepanther

It might help Shia's case if he knew what he was talking about and used a slightly more imaginative vocabulary when interviewed about the movie. ;) 

19. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I read the script. its good but dont remember how Barricade gets wiped out at the end.

20. rdarkstream

rdarkstream Minicon lover

Ebay:
    sounds like a bay film.......SHOCKING