An interesting story....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpencimusPrime, Jan 19, 2010.

1. SpencimusPrime

SpencimusPrime _

News Credits:
    NYT: Should I let my son meet his dying dad? - The New York Times

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Holy shit.

That was quite possibly one of the most depressing things I've ever read.

3. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Wow even kids know how to survive.

4. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Why would you even post that?

A douche bag gets a women pregnant, leaves her, has a change of heart when he finds out he is dying and wants to see his son. Not because the son needs him, but for his own selfish need to feel better about himself, knowing full well that he may not make it. So he leaves the world of the living with a happy heart, while his 2 year old son has to deal with the traumatic experience of loosing his father, a father that he would have never know until Cancer came into the picture.

Poor kid...

5. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Did you two read the same story I did?

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    When I was... a young boy...

7. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Maybe. What did you get out of it?

8. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

That's what you got out of the story?

Kid now has actual firsthand memories of his father, a semblance of closure (how many people who had a parent leave them as an infant go searching for that parent later in life, even knowing that they were abandoned? This kid will forever be spared that nagging sense of a lack of finality, and with the added bonus of knowing the parent willingly came back for him, regardless of his initial douchebaggery), and judging by the last bit, seems to have acquired a healthy perspective that a lot of adults could use.

Found it fairly uplifting in a bittersweet way myself, and I don't usually go in for this sort of stuff, as it sounds like the contents of one too many apocryphal chain emails.
    My fadder?

9. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Yeah, that pretty much covers it. I really don't see what's depressing about this, other than it's sad the kid didn't have his father around for longer.

Y'know, most people who know me would say I'm a pretty cynical bastard, but around some people here I'm a Disney princess in comparison. It's like some of you go out of your way to find the darkest, nastiest spin on anything put in front of you.

10. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Ok, I do not take kindly to men who fail to live up to their responsibilities as fathers. This guy knew that his wife was prego and he still wanted to jump ship.

Well you know what buck-o, tough shit. Congrats on being another dead beat dad.

Then he got sick, which is admittedly a terrible thing, but it was the sickness that made him want to own up to his responsibilities. Why was that? maybe because he felt guilty? Why was the kid not good enough to see before he was sick?

I dunno, maybe I am overreacting, but lets be honest, this kid has been forced to deal with a great personal tragedy in his young life and has apparently coped very well, but I really question the purpose of it all. Was it for the well being of the child, or the well being of the Dad.

Maybe your right, maybe this is a feel good story, but I just can't past the Dad leaving bit. The kid is amazing though. Probably has a better view on death than I do...

11. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    Not very interesting but it was kind of sad.

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    damn buy that kid a transformer he deserves one for coming through the loss of his father and still be well adjusted