An interesting idea for a website.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by agravlin, Apr 1, 2007.

1. agravlin

agravlin Bearer of Reason

I personally can't cook anything... at all... ever - even if my life depended on it. However, I was thinking about recipes, and this idea came to mind.

Someone needs to start a website where people can upload their own recipes as well as the thousands of common recipes and widespread public-domain recipes from tons of other websites. I'm sure that a recipe upload website exists, but I have an idea that would take it a step further.

There needs to be a recipe website where someone can set up an account and maintain a list of the items currently in their refrigerator/pantry, and the website would cross-reference all of the available ingredients and generate a list of the uploaded recipes that can be made with the items you've listed in your personal pantry. Of course, the ingredients would be tough for an automated website to understand if typed by users who can't type that well (e.g. "cetzup" "brocklee"), so the webste would have to maintain an extremely extensive list of products, similar to the extent of the food list on FitDay.com which lists hundreds of thousands of foods including name-brands.

As a poor college student who rarely has any real food items sitting in the fridge, and instead has a bottle of ketchup, some powdered sugar, a loaf of bread, some pork chops, and a bottle of hot sauce, I'd really love a place where I can list my crappy selection of ingredients and find out if there is in fact something tasty I can make with them.

Anyone agree that this sounds like a really handy website? I'd be so happy if someone decided to make something like this. Unfortunately, I have no such skill.

Let me know what you think.

2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Sounds like at first, you want a Wiki for food. Somebody already did that it seems. A quick search came up with this:

http://www.cookbookwiki.com/Main_Page

I just found recipes for Palak Bhaaji and Gulab Jamuns. Awesome!

But the second part is interesting. Im not sure how this could be done effectively. I think it would be ineffective to update your list of stuff on a constant basis, and most people would not do that. But I think something may be possible with a kinda google made just for food (just type in a few ingredients, and see what you can do). Interesting idea. Hmmm...

3. agravlin

Oh God, Gulab Jamun... I could eat that until I explode.

My dream meal is a monstrous plate of really saucy goat Rogan Josh and some potato and lamb Samosa, with a pile of spicy yellow rice and a huge stack of Naan; and a dessert of Gulab Jamun and Mango Lassi.

I've never had this "Palak Bhaji" you mentioned, though. What is it?

But anyway... the ingredient entry would have to be pretty streamlined and quick - maybe some kind of Flash app that lets you type in the first few letters, and it starts narrowing down a list of items with an "Add" button next to each one. Because it's Flash, the page won't have to reload every time you add something, so you could just rapid-fire search and add. You could even just browse through categories like "Meats", "Vegetables", "Spices", "Cereals", etc. FitDay has achieved this variety successfully, even to the point that there are hundreds of thousands of name-brand items listed alongside the general food items.

We should apply for a grant and hire some folks to develop something like this. :) 

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Ohhh Mango Lassi! Thats one of the things I was thinking of that I wanted to look up. Thats easily one of my favorite drinks.

Naan is excellent. I would eat that all the time if I could. I also wish I had the proper oven to cook it.

And Palak Bhaji is pretty much something I would like to try. Palak itself is spinach. I hear its something like a spicy Palak Paneer without the cheese or something like that. I really love a good dish of Palak Paneer, so I would like to try some other good spinach dishes.

And yeah, the ingredients entry you posted there is kinda what I was thinking of. But that still would be really difficult to keep up to date. I know of a lot of people who buy tons of stuff when they go shopping. So I think the best thing to do would be to make a site where you can type in some ingredients you have, then it can find matches to recipes based on a percentage basis. So if I put in "hot dog buns" I would get a result telling me I need more stuff.

5. agravlin

Well, I mean... 90% of the things people buy each week are the same things they bought the previous week, so it's not like they'd have to compile a brand new list each week - they'd just add or remove a few things that aren't their regular groceries. There are lots of sites, such as MediaChest, where nearly all of the users put in the initial effort to compile their personal list of items, then just update them every couple of weeks. Doesn't seem to bother most people.

6. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Did you ever check out cooks.com for recipes? You can pretty much type in a few ingredients into the search and come up with something every time.

Also, look into cooking in aluminum foil - You can do chicken, beef, pork, and fish the same way, although cooking times and temps will differ.

Here's an easy one for chicken:

Ingredients:
    1. Boneless, skinless chicken breast
    2. Stuff to put on chicken - marinade, Italian salad dressing, barbecue sauce, ketchup, salsa, whatever.

Instructions:
    1. Preheat oven to 375°
    2. Rinse chicken in sink, cut off fat if necessary, and pat dry.
    3. Put chicken on foil, shiny side up.
    4. Cover chicken in whatever you chose.
    5. Fold foil into neat little package, sealing in ingredients.
    6. Put on baking tray/cookie sheet and place on middle rack of oven.
    7. Cook 15 minutes for thin-sliced breasts or 20 minutes for thick breasts or until chicken is white on the inside, and juices run clear.

Serve with rice or potatoes and vegetables.

7. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    http://www.allrecipes.com

Doesn't really have the whole, food item cross referencing things. But it is great for uploading your own recipes, you can rate them and leave comments.

It's great when looking for something to make, I tend to look at stuff with high ratings that has had alot of comments on it, some people give good ideas in the comments for adjustments or serving suggestions and side items.

8. agravlin

Well, I still want my idea to come to fruition. :)