An In-Depth Hasbro Masterpiece Starscream Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ...Optimus..., Nov 6, 2007.

1. Altercron

Altercron Well-Known Member

What I meant by his own Megatron gun was a new mold that had a small enough grip that didnt need to be slid down.

As for the Pat Lee thing, its the way they tried to deal with the leg kibble. It looks almost tacked on and unatural. OK maybe "Pat Lee" was a bit harsh, but the old proto still doesnt look as good to me.

2. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

The old proto doesn't have as good an alt mode IMO

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    well the sad fact is that they could've had just as good a robot mode when they made the jet mode improvements, and it shouldn't have been an issue. a ton of us have made it so with really minimal effort, and that includes people who've never done anything to a tf before. justa couple cuts and a groove later and voila!. there's more than one thread about it in the radicons area.

4. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Curses. I got mine yesterday and I see stress marks on the problematic piece already. He's a jet right now, and he'll have to stay that way for a while.

Did anyone figure out a way to strengthen that piece yet?

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I have the same problem as Nutcrusher. I got him today and the second he was in vehicle moe there was a stress mark on the wing joint.

Otherwise: Best jet TF ever. No competion.

6. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Ah shit guys. Is there some trick to easing the stress on his wings? His wing joint is already showing some white stress marks.

7. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I just noticed, if you angle the red things beside his head forard, they look more cartoon acurate and somehow (I don't know how) make him more stable. (?)

I love this figure so much, I want to get Skywarp if he wasn't so goddamned expensive.

8. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I'm pretty sure that's how they're supposed to be, thats how Takara pictured him on the box, yet another transformation error by Hasbro

9. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Oh, okay.

I lost my instructions but I distinctly remember them mentioning the red things.

All the galleries I've seen (including the one on this site) excluding Seibertron.com's have them back, but looking at the box you are correct.

10. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

?!?

Doubt it. The point to having the red parts pivot was to unlock the fuel tank kibble (which unlocks the wings, which unlocks the leg kibble, etc. etc.) I've never seen G1 Screamer, in toy, anime, or otherwise, with those parts forward -- this mold is the only one I can think of that even LETS you do that. Having them back @ a right angle is kind of iconic for all the seekers.

As for cartoon/toy accuracy, it's probably more an issue of how you position the head (which is a whole other story, since it only turns left/right when it's far back).

Fair enough, but the leg kibble's always been "tacked on" like that in toys and show, more or less. The big difference here (besides detaching the kibble) is that the tail flaps fold up instead of pivoting 90 degrees (which leads to other issues if you do the kibble mod).

-XCN-

11. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    All the 'Con jets in the cartoon had them swept forward (i.e, so the front is at a right angle) with a curve in the back. Here, here and here are perfect examples of this. The same design was used in the comics.

Obviously the figure would need to replace those parts during transformation to replicate the curve, but it does a pretty good job regardless. (and makes the wing point-things less noticable.

On an unrelated note, I thought there wasn't supposed to be any die-cast in Starscream? Yet the painted black frame and the bars that hold the back part of the jet (that has the air brake panel on it, not the piston on the air brake) are both metal.

12. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Ah, my bad. I still find it looks awkward on MP Screamer, probably due to the white in the gap.

It was always the case that his internal supporting frame was metal; where did you get the idea that it wasn't?

-XCN-

13. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Honestly, I can't remember that good. I just always remember when MP-03 came out there was all this mumbling about no die-cast, and the same for when MP SS came out. I guess I took it as no die-cast period, as I never read any different.

14. KingForm

KingForm Banned

Is it possible to lock his waist? Mine just seems really really loose and it causes him to lean left on the stand.

15. Defbot1981

Defbot1981 Member

Thanks for the in-depth review ;) 

16. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    push it down hard till the waist clicks.

17. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Well. Bad news..

My MP SS' wing tabs broke, both of them; one for each wing. Funny story, I was truning them so I could mod them NOT to break. Now, I can't transform him without potentially busting them off the hinge.

Fuck me...

Well, at least he's in 'bot mode... my favorite mode for him.

18. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I actually found a new problem with MP:SS. I'll make a new thread about it later once I upload the pictures, as I think it's a problem nobody else has found before. But I'll state the problem here and let you guys judge what to do next:

In order for me to have more freedom in slicing off parts of the black connector piece, I took out the screwdriver and removed the "back kibble." It was just getting in the way of my hand when I was shaving the plastic.

There are 3 screws that keep a plastic piece between the metal swing-bar and the actual back kibble. Unfortunately, this piece of plastic has 3 screws on one side of the hinge. The other side is unsupported, and each time you lift up his back kibble, you are stressing the part.

Mine has a stress mark already, and is bending. It's only a matter of time before it breaks off. Which shouldn't be too bad, because a peg will keep it in place both in bot mode and plane mode.

I would've never noticed it had I not removed it.

I have pictures...