An In-Depth Hasbro Masterpiece Starscream Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ...Optimus..., Nov 6, 2007.

1. ...Optimus...

...Optimus... Active Member

I know there's already a thread on this guy, but there are a lot of questions being asked about the figure that I feel can be answered with a close-up review. If it's appropriate to move the review into the other thread, feel free.

To start, I don't own MP-03 or MP-06, so if I reiterate things that have already been covered with other reviews of this mold, I apologize. It's all new to me! I'll end up doing a lot of comparing to MP-01, since that is a figure that almost everyone on this board is familiar with, and that has been well-reviewed.

Robot Mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starscream comes packaged in robot mode, which is most likely because he's the most recognizeable in this form. Upon first look I thought: "Oh man, this guy has some DETAIL to him." In comparison to Optimus Prime, Starscream looks very busy and angular. There are very few smooth surfaces to him, and he definitely doesn't have the solid, blocky look of OP. I don't prefer it or dislike it, it's simply different than MP-01. My girlfriend said he looked like "a badass butterfly", and I think that's pretty accurate (Note: she's new to Transformers, but I'm slowly breaking her in :wink: ).

I really like the G1 paint application, the colors make this guy feel like the real Starscream out of the cartoon. I also really enjoy the level of detail that went into the mold: The closer up you get on this figure the better he looks. Where as OP has presence from across the room, Starscream really takes a close look to appreciate the details.

[​IMG]

The articulation is generally good, with the arms being great. I had very little trouble having him stand up without the included stand, and was able to get him to stay in some pretty advanced poses (for this mold).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The foot design does hinder some stances, as the rear thrusters don't make great heels, but overall I didn't struggle particularily hard to get him to stay. The hands are highly articulated, and normally I'd call this a plus. The struggle with this figure is that the hands simply are not big enough to support such intricate articulation. There just isn't enough plastic in the joints to hold onto large objects. Frequently while posing this guy I would have to put the gun back in his hands, simply because it's not being gripped very hard. Plan ahead and add Megatron last if you're going to have the two pose together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one major knock against the mold is the hip kibble. Looking at pictures, I hardly noticed it, but after owning the figure and looking at it from multiple angles, it really started to bother me. It's the only part of the figure that looks out of place and less-than-G1 accurate to me, and it also hinders hip articulation quite severely. Because Starscream cannot bend his hips outward, it just makes for less "athletic" looking poses than OP.

[​IMG]

(Attempting the same pose)
    [​IMG]

But I could easily overlook this because of how great the rest of the figure looks, if not for one thing: It could have easily been remedied. There is a seam about 1/3 of the way down the hip kibble that could have rotated and tilted without much trouble, and a clear gap between the bottom of the wings to tuck the kibble back into. This shows me that the kibble/tailsection could have folded up underneath the armpits onto Starscream's back, and tucked away nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Why not do it? The only reason I can see is that it would add more upper-body weight, making the figure less easy to balance. Worth it? Well, if they're already including the stand, I think I would have preferred the cleaner, tucked-away look. Just my opinion.

Overall, the robot mode really does look great, and is a nice contrast from MP-01's design and vibe. I think the accuracy could have been even better by tucking away the hip kibble, but as is the figure still looks very, very good. I don't mind the black joints in person, and the switching head is a very cool touch. The plastic is not as sturdy as the metal of OP, but I'm certainly not afraid to transform and play with it.

9.2/10

Transformation:

I really think this one of the coolest figures to transform that I have come across. The design is really well thought-out, and everything feels solid (I wasn't scare to break it). It's really quite complex, but I was able to do it without instructions the third time. Everything just seems fairly intuitive after the first few times. It reminds me of Alternators Windcharger. I transformed Optimus after, and came to a few realizations: 1) OP's transformation is less complex, and 2) Everything about Optimus is just thicker than Starscream. Starscream has a lot of small, detailed parts, and while it makes for a busier-looking robot mode it also makes for a more enjoyable transformation. I dare say it's one of my favorites, ever. Might have been a perfect 10 if fingers and wings didn't pop off.

9.8/10

Vehicle Mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where the figure really shines. I mean it. While MP-01 was definitely a robot first, truck second, this figure seems to be the other way around. The jet mode could easily be mistaken for an F-15 model, based on correct form and intricate detailing. It's racked full of features and goodies to play with. Some examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't feel like the undercarriage was too muddied, and while it's not perfect (no transformer is) it's certainly passable.

[​IMG]

A note on the weathering: While this has gotten generally good feedback, most of it has been focused on the air-brake streaking. Yes, there is heavier weathering here, but I feel like it's not solely focused to this. All of the white/grey paint is subject to minor weathering here and there, and it adds a bit of grit to the figure. It is more noticeable as a plane because the panels are less split-up than robot mode. I like it, it's different than MP-01's clean, shiny look.

[​IMG]

Not all of the joints fit perfectly snug, especially the nose of the plane:

[​IMG]

While this bothers me a little, it's not really that noticeable. For how detailed the figure is, they did an incredible job making it all fit.

A wonderful jet mode. Period.

9.7/10

A few other notes:

Starscream is not meant to be displayed with Optimus Prime. They are too contrasting in too many ways. The height and size difference is a definite, well-documented problem. But the detailing of these figures just don't compliment each-other either. One is intricate, weathered, and plastic. The other has smooth, shiny surfaces and bright metal paneling. I just don't think they look very good together. Here's another way to put it: They both look great separately, but do nothing to compliment each-other's style. Too bad, because they're both amazing figures.

[​IMG]

After transformation, it's clear why Starscream is smaller than OP: His jet mode would have been gargantuan if he we're the correct bot size:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After comparing vehicle modes, I think they found a happy medium.

In conclusion, I think Hasbro Starscream is an excellent addition to the Masterpiece line. I didn't buy MP-03 because of the color scheme, and that has obviously been remedied with this guy. I'm glad they decided to release him in the appropriate colors, because I probably would have missed out on an excellent mold simply because of paint. He's not perfect, but there are very few things I'd change. Find him if you can!

[​IMG]

9.6/10

2. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    great review and photos!

3. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

man, I can't wait to find this guy!!! awesome review.

4. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Good job on the review and photos. I wouldn't call the current thread "insufficient" but you have hit all the points for sure.

I'd have to agree with the hip kibble part, except it eliminates the need to remove the rear wings/stabilizers like the G1 seeker toys. I guess it could have been attached at the ankle, and the legs could have been beefier. But I think at this stage of the game with this being the 3rd release of the toy, we're all cool about it.

Honestly, until I got him out of the package... I didn't even notice how that was attached.

5. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Yah, great review indeed. Would not have notice the hip areas if you have not pointed it out. Thanks! :D 

6. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Awesome, I was waiting for someone to take some good pictures of this guy.

7. fezool

fezool Well-Known Member

Good review.
    The hip kibble bugs the hell out of me, and the tips of the wings being attached to the shoulders.
    Wish we had gotten this one:
    [​IMG]

8. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

Here is one of the better shots I took this weekend...
    [​IMG]

I like him holding the gun, but I felt like after adjusting the gun a second time the fingers had gotten looser and weren't holding it as tight. Guess I could always rubber band it in, so it doesn't fall. Eh.

9. madman1366

madman1366 "The Bad Guy"

News Credits:
    You can get rid of that gap in the cockpit. I thought I had the same problem but if you drop the nose completely down then you can pull it out a tiny bit and pop that arm that holds it then it will go back up and lock in the way it should.

It sounds weird, I dunno how else to explain it. Just mess with it more and I'm sure you'll figure it out as I did.

10. ...Optimus...

Hey thanks madman1366, cockpit gap solved, just like you said:

[​IMG]

11. Numlock

Numlock Starving Artist

I've yet to be lucky enough to find MP Starscream around my parts... and don't own any Takara version of this mold... however, I have seen the pictures on Invincible Robot Laboratories... and there seems to be some kind of trick they did to remove the large kibble piece by the hips and place it on the legs.

[​IMG]

Obviously since I don't own one I don't know the details on how it's done, but it looks like the large kibble piece must snap off at the ball joint and attack to the peg on his lower leg.

Check out IRL gallery I guess, maybe it'll make sense.

http://members9.tsukaeru.net/ty1_toys/toys/MP_03a.htm

12. ...Optimus...

You know, now that you mention that Numlock, that would absolutely work. I'm not sure how well it would STAY like that, but that's where the hip kibble attaches to the sides of the legs for the transformation process. My only concern would be wearing out the ball joints from pulling the kibble off every time I transform him. I'll have to try this.

13. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah I want that mould too. Less kibble, nevermind the not so accurate F-15 mode its the better mould. Wonder why they never used it.

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is how a review should be done. A+ review mate.

15. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    EXACTLY RIGHT

It is meant to attach like that. I remember that when MP-03 came out, the first thing I did was pop off his "hip kibble" and place them on the posts of the legs, ala G1

Problem is, is that they are longer at the fin tip then the feet are, so his posing is out the window. He does look nice like that on the stand, though.

16. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

17. bryan_too

bryan_too is Deadpool

That's not too bad...... Looks better like this... Good review there, by the way:thumb 

18. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    nice review, but you should just include yours as a post in the existing feedback. if everybody wants to have their own 'special' review, then we'll see a lot more individual review post and thatll just make the mods job harder to merge them.

if you really wanted your own thread, you couldve done it as a toyark post and name it 'my hasbro mp ss gallery' or something.

19. ...Optimus...

I really don't have a preference one way or another, I just thought more people would see it if I made a new thread. If a mod feels it belongs in the original thread, or needs to be moved and relabeled to anywhere else on the site, I'm all for it. I just wanted to provide a little bit more in-depth review of a figure that hadn't had one yet. Move away mods!

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    if you want to avoid you post getting lost in the feedback thread (which i think is reasonable with the amount of effort you put into it), i recommend asking a mod to rename it (say, my hasbro mp ss with detail pics) and move it to toyark, it would get a lot more exposure that way.