An Idea for Triple-Changers

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by The F.N.G., Aug 3, 2012.

1. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So, after playing through the demo the past couple days, I had an idea about making Triple-Changers work in FOC-style game mechanics.

Triple-Changers would be a new class, alongside the current four. Their health would be 350 points; stronger than Scientists (200) and Infiltrators (300), but weaker than Destroyers (400) and Titans (500). Transforming from robot to vehicle and back would be the same as normal, while changing between alt-modes would be the vehicle mode ability (ala Ram & Barrel Roll). Robot mode would play more-or-less the same as the other four (sprinting, melee, shooting, etc). However, as a possible way to balance the second alt-mode, there would be no robot mode ability (Shockwave, Whirlwind, etc).

Feel free to tear this apart as you see fit.

2. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

I don't know how such a class would actually work out balance-wise, but just an idea for the robot-mode ability, maybe it could either jump you straight into the second alt-mode or toggle which alt-mode you switch into when you hit the normal transform button?

3. The F.N.G.

News Credits:
    A toggle button in robot would be good. Give you a choice of alt-mode rather than which ever you were last using.

4. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Why not make use of the vehicle mode transitions already in the game?
    Pressing Transform would turn you into a primary vehicle (say a tank), and holding down LT/L2 would turn you into your secondary vehicle (maybe a jet) for as long as you hold it. Of course it would be a pain to balance as a tank that can just appear anywhere.

Perhaps you'd take more damage any time you were in vehicle mode. Maybe move more slowly than those picking either instead of both?

5. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

Use of the arrow bottons might work. Transform from robot to vehicle like normal then tap an arrow key for a third mode and use the other keys for weapon deployments. Games don't usually make use of those keys anyway so would be a nice way to put them to work.

6. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

We kind of already have a triple changer. Vortex can go from jet to helicopter in a satisfyingly simple manner. I don't see why they can't elaborate on that.

7. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    we could have the TC transform into a tank/car/ground vehicle, then when you press LT/L2 you turn into your second alt mode. don't know if this could work or not but I think it's a good idea.

8. Flaming Matrix

Flaming Matrix Murder claw master

I like this idea, but instead of taking away your robot mode ability, it should take away sprint/dash. Getting two vehicle modes at the cost of some robot mode mobility seems fair.

Of course, this would only work if they added back vehicle abilities, which I think they should.

9. shadowsfm

shadowsfm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    FullmetalPrime
    Are there any characters, save the Dinobots of course, that you'd like to have included into this months Fall of Cybertron?

Matt Tieger
    Triple changers. I always thought that concept was a cool one. We just didn't have the bandwith to do it right, that I am not sure how much fun Astrotrain's train mode would be.

10. Squints

Squints Well-Known Member

That's not really a third transformation in game-mechanical terms, though; it's just Vortex's boost animation. All flying alt modes in FoC act like helicopters when not boosting anyway (and they all act like jets while boosting), so the difference between the two is just cosmetic. A mechanic like that wouldn't really cover a character like Springer, for instance, whose alt-modes are completely different in capabilities and behavior.

I thought of this thread immediately when I saw that question. At least it's something that's on their radar for future installments, right?

11. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    I think the transformation mechanics should be, and I'm setting up an example here:
    1 Button click: Truck
    2 Button clicks: Jet
    (In vehicle form) 2 Button clicks: Switch between altmodes
    (In vehicle form) 1 button click: Change to robot

12. dunerunner123

dunerunner123 Optipottamus prime

personally i think that if they want to do a triple changer, they would have a character like blitzwing transform into a tank but will chamnge into a jet when you press the boost button. whenever you let go you will drop back down to the ground. i feel like this wold be a good way to do it because the inability to boost as a tank and the inability to hover as a jet would keep it from being overpowered with the two modes.

13. The F.N.G.

News Credits:
    Making Triple-Changing connected to the vehicle mode boost is an interesting idea, though I personally would prefer to have full control over both forms. Wasn't the "hold a button to transform" idea something people didn't like about the ROTF game? I never played it, so I couldn't comment about how well that worked.

Well, we do see vehicle abilities being used in the campaign. Bumblebee's Turbo and Vortex's Strafe in the demo, and I'm pretty sure I've seen clips of Optimus using Ram and Starscream Barrel Rolling. It's just a question of whether or not they're enabled in multiplayer in the full game.