An idea for Fansproject (Scheduled cycle of re-releases)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kuma Style, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    What would you guys think if Fansproject cycled their older products out on a specific cycle every year. I got to thinking about this because the Mrs. and I were talking about collecting all the old Disney movies on Blu Ray, but now they're released in cycles, so it's going to be hard to do.

But with these, since they're things everyone always seems to want, and people seem to miss out on, is this something you guys would like?

Something like this every year -

Q1 (Jan-March) - City Commander/Protector
    Q2 (April-June) - DIA Commander/Shadow Scythe
    Q3 (July-Sept.) - Shadow Commander/Crossfire01 (Superion)
    Q4 (October-December) - Crossfire02 (Bruticus)/Warbot Defender.

That way, if you miss out on a re-release, all hope isn't lost, and you have a specific timeframe that you know it's getting re-released again.

Just a thought.

2. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only concern with this would be to let them concentrate on putting out new stuff. They are a 3rd party company and most likely don't have a huge factory churning out hundreds of thousands of toys per month.

They most likely will have the molds break on such things as CC sets before long or at least become damaged.

As much of a good idea it is I want to see new stuff from them not stuff I already have. But that's my view I'm sure a lot of people still are after these items so it's a case of what's good for some isn't for others?

3. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

They need to do a blue Protector as part of that cycle!

4. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    Yea, they wouldn't be re-releasing anything I don't have (multiples of, lol).

Ideally it'd be something they do while releasing new stuff as well, but you're right, probably not being a big factory would hinder it while being able to consitantly produce new stuff... but on the same token look at the re-release of city and shadow commander (and the G3 trailer no one wants to spend that much money on). They're doing these right now while still releasing the Insecticons, so I think that shows they could do it.

5. skiss

skiss Crash and Burn

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd rather they just leave the superion upgrade to fade away and make a new one. Bruticus really ruined it for me lol.

6. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    I don't think they re-released CC probably a more hey heres some extra stock we had held back seeing as BBTS was the only one to get them. When I think re-release I see it as it's hitting everyone (retailers) like it did in the initial release.

7. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    Hey, I'm spending money on that G3 trailer! XD Is there a reason why I shouldn't?

8. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Bad idea. Move forward, not back, and don't devalue the shit everyone already bought.

9. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Fansproject has plans for Crossfire 3 and heartmaster that are being pushed back do to their release schedule for the insector ninjas getting delayed.
    Also apparently two more Causalitys after the ninjas.

t concepts and design work from the fansproject team has been more refined recently, than in the city commander days. I really want to see what comes next.
    Its more in tune with how I feel these companys should be run. They pander to the core audience a bit with iconic battle armor, and character gaps in takara tomy Transformers. But Ultimately Their not as Constrained artisticly, so they can approach a vision of Transformers that is original.

reissues are a fair idea. And it for a while it felt like city commander had a pretty tough production cycle. With City Commander, Shadow commander, TFcon exclusive powered commander, and the regular powered commander.

I agree that could be welcome to do a reissue alongside a new release. But its entirely up to fansproject If they want to constrain themselves on it. Maybe city commander no longer inspires them?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  10. kiyoshioni

kiyoshioni The Knife

Yeah, I think they need to move on and quit with the old re-releases. Im pretty surprised that they did a re-release of city/shadow commander. And Im sure a lot of people would be pissed and a lot of people would be happy about a re-release of scyther.

But I don't really care, I own all the kits so far and I get them day 1. I just want them to move on and make new stuff. Although, the slow speed in which they are coming out due to delays does help the wallet some.

11. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    kinda want a warbot defender. cheap :p  rkd has him for 99. so.. hmm i dont know if thats cheap for him. but its not in stock :( 

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I think the idea is that they don't want to overproduce and be left with a bunch of unsold stock. If they just keep reproducing this stuff, they will eventually satisfy every want and then make a pile that doesn't sell and just be a waste of money. From a business perspective, they're best to do what they are currently doing. Only doing another run when the demand appears to be high enough to sell the whole run. It's not cost effective to do a run too small, nor to do a large enough run but not sell at least a certain percentage of them.

In other words, they have to know enough people want it to justify another production run. To just churn them out on a schedule without any regard to demand would be a bad business decision.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this, if i know there's no chance of missing it, that it'll just be rereleased, i'd probably pass on them the first time around instead of instantly preordering them. keep moving forward, 99% of the people that missed it were complaining that they were too expensive in the first place.

14. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I see where you guys are coming from, and I agree for the most part. I have every FP release personally, so this isn't as much for me as the people acting like they're going to get on youtube with a shotgun and end it all when they miss out.

15. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If they rerelease scyther, I want a rerelease of SG roddy and Henkei Wildrider :p 

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    usually (other than scyther) they have months to pick it up, and just don't, so i feel no pity for them, especially with city commander, he was out twice in retail, and for months each time,

17. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That would be cool, but I wouldn't mind if they didn't do it either. The only thing I really need from Fansproject is the Combiner stuff...which is still in stock on some sites but at almost 2x the price.

18. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I think doing a cycled release schedule would kill it for FansProject. Like some have mentioned what's eventually going to happen is someone like FP, BBTS, etc. will be sitting on a bunch of City Commanders that just won't sell.

I'll steal one from you TJ and say this hobby is a sport and people need to be on their toys when we all know something is going to be released or re-released soon.

19. Billzilla

Billzilla Skeptic

News Credits:
    While I certainly agree that Fansproject would be wise to keep their flagship products available, I don't think a yearly rerelease schedule is the answer at all. Aside from the obvious issues of it getting in the way of producing new stuff and FP being a relatively small operation, I don't think the collector's market is nearly large enough to sustain yearly rereleases. I mean, yes, there is demand for the item now, but how many people actually want one that don't have one? I genuinely have no idea, a few thousand at most? Maybe a few hundred that would buy one but aren't aware of its existence? Then maybe a handful of people who'd want to replace broken ones or buy a spare one to make a custom. But that's just not very many people.

Also it's just not realistic to think that City Commander will be the "best Ultra Magnus" forever. I imagine even if Has/Tak, iGear and TFC never get around to putting up a serious contender for the crown, Fansproject will probably take another crack at it someday just for shits and giggles.

The only reason that recent BBTS stock sold out so quickly was because of people hoping to scalp others over it and people impulse buying it who would otherwise have given it a second out of the (legitimate) fear that they wouldn't have a chance later. I personally snapped up both a City Commander and Shadow Commander. I always wanted City Commander, but I'd never even considered buying Shadow until I saw him there in stock for under a hundred bucks and snapped him up before my brain could even ask me what the hell I was doing. And I admit I assuaged my fears by telling myself I could easily get rid of a Shadow Commander, potentially at a profit, if it turned out I didn't really like it.

That said, It would be wise of them to have a certain amount of stock of them and release a portion of their stash to a retailer whenever demand reaches a certain level or they need a quick cash infusion.

Actually, you know what would be neat is if Fansproject offered discontinued items for robot points that you could clip off their other products. That would be so dope I'm not even kidding you guys. I wish that was still a thing, someone needs to bring it back.

20. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. Online retailers are no different then brick and mortar stores. Take Zhu Zhu Pets as an example. Hot item sells out due to huge demand, retailers over order, product sits, product on clearance, life cycle over, retailers hesitant to order more product. And for a small company such as FP it could be game over.