An idea for a Transformers reboot

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Xenomrph, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    So I'm driving to work, trying to come up with a way to really emphasize the "robots in disguise" aspect of the Transformers concept.

So what if you had transforming robots from outer space, and there's 2 factions, and they come to earth and take the form of various earth machinery. However, they're not any more durable than the alt-forms they take, which means they're not particularly hard to destroy. As such, they really have to use their alt-modes to hide in plain sight, otherwise they'll get annihilated.

So the humans don't have any idea when the Transformers really showed up on earth, so literally any machine could conceivably be a Transformer. Also, there's no way for the humans to detect Transformers or to distinguish, say, a regular car from a transforming-robot-car. So your car you drove to work today might be a normal car, but tomorrow it could be a transforming robot and you wouldn't be able to tell.

This would introduce a huge element of paranoia and mistrust - maybe the Decepticons aren't outright assaulting human stuff, but they're doing shady things behind the scenes... but then again, so are the Autobots. They're just as vulnerable, and initially the Autobots aren't exactly trusting the humans to a huge degree either, so the humans are just taking the Autobots at their word that they're the "good guys".

So you've got robots hiding in plain sight all over the planet, taking any alt-mode they want, and the humans have no idea just how many Transformers are actually on the planet and what their intentions really are. That rusted-out old clunker sitting in the vacant lot down the street? It could totally be a Decepticon and when it gets dark and no one is looking it's going to turn into a robot and do Bad Things. What do you do? Do you recall every car on the planet, even though you've got no way to ID which cars are robots? And those robots are going to sit and wait in car-mode until you get bored and give up, because demolishing every car on the planet is unrealistic and the Transformers know that.

Maybe it's all told from the perspective of the humans experiencing it, and maybe the Decepticons have been present for a while and have actually manipulated themselves into positions of power somehow, through blackmail and assassination, and the Autobots have now shown up to defeat them.

I know it's a pretty radical shift from the "tone" of most Transformers fiction, and it's much more like a Tom Clancy techno-thriller (or McCarthy-era anti-communism Red Scare stuff) blended with Carpenter's 'The Thing' horror, so that'd make it pretty hard to translate into a toyline for children. :p 

Just sort of thinking "out loud" here, haha.

2. Fierceawakening

Fierceawakening Deceptigeek

That has some interesting creepy-dark-plotline possibilities.

3. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

That's a pretty unique idea. I wouldn't like it though. Part of what always made Transformers great to me is that there's nothing we can do to harm them. The whole point is the Decepticons want our planet, and it's the Autobots that stop them from getting it. That's one out of a million reasons I hated the Bay film; Transformers getting killed by humans. They shouldn't be treated as just alien robots. They're former gladiators and former slaves made of durabyllium-steel. Humans should have this effect on Transformers-

[​IMG]

I don't mind the stealth concept. That's something that played an important role in the original comics but lost importance in the cartoon as early as... the first episode.

4. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very nice idea, I like it except for the part where they are the same strength as what they mimic, but very nice idea.

5. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    I think it's an intriguing idea. It would be like back in the golden days of Marvel Comics, and they could bring in ideas of different social issues in the modern media. Fighting for equal rights, lol maybe the autobots could petition for American citizenship if they come out in the open.

6. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    Yeah, it would beg the question, "why don't they just all become tanks, then?", but I'd still want them to be weak enough that humans with guns and rocket launchers could conceivably take them out without that big of a problem.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Very cool idea. That would make for a very interesting TF movie.

8. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    Interesting idea, but...

Where's my explosions?!

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Would they just be complex machines and vehicles? Could they be more simple objects, like the stairs in your house?

10. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    I'm really not sure, but I'd probably more of have them turn into complex machines. Like, think of them like a reverse-T-1000 -- the T-1000 could only turn into people, solid objects, or flat surfaces, but these "stealth Transformers" would be the opposite.

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    +1. TFs being taken down by humans killed the Bayformers experience for me more than anything else. It devalues the threat the Decepticons pose, and makes the Autobots superfluous. I don't mind 'lesser' TFs like Frenzy and Ravage going down to humans, but major players like Blackout and Megatron should be all but invulnerable.

That being said, the 'cloak and dagger', 'robots in disguise' concept the OP proposes is very nice. IDW's Infiltration title used it to a certain degree, but I'd certainly like to see the idea used more extensively. Remember, though - the Transformers' reason for adopting alt modes isn't so much to hide from Earth's populace as to hide from one another. They don't fear the humans; they fear their opposite numbers on the other faction. Also, alt modes aren't purely a means of cover. They serve to amplify certain qualities; for instance, a TF flying in robot mode can only fly as fast as a helicopter or propeller-driven aircraft, but turning into jet mode to travel allows him Mach 2+ speed (a matter of aerodynamics).

12. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    Sounds interesting. Someone with a creative mind should write with this base

13. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    Figured I'd bump this for anyone else who didn't see it. :) 

14. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Isn't this basically the plot for Asylum's "Transmorphers" movies??

15. Prime9409

Prime9409 Well-Known Member

But how would a reboot set up how the transformers came to be?

16. Xenomrph

Xenomrph Mr. Fix-it

Ebay:
    I have no idea, I haven't seen that.

What do you mean?