An honest question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Travicon, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travicon

Travicon Nerdbot

Whats wrong with bringing up old threads?

I'm always reading, "there's already a thread about this, *link*. Use the search next time."

And yet I also have read, "dont bump old threads, locked" and stuff like that.

So anyway I think my question is valid. But if the only answer I can get is simply, "because they are bad" I have another question.

If that is the case lets say, a thread about Unicron is created, how long after that thread dies do I have to wait to start a thread about the same topic?

Thanks for any light on the subject, its just a question ive had for a while.

Oh, and if this is in the wrong place please point me in the right direction.

Thanx

2. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In a nutshell, its because its in the RULES, and unless there really is something new to report or add to an existing thread, especially those of a year older or more,just read a few posts and if its all been said before its unlikely the mods would want you to start another thread with more of the same..Plus most of the people here don't like posting to the same thread or almost the same thread over and over, we like new items
    to discuss and go crazy about, not the same old stuff..Hope that helps a little..

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Well, Based on the rule it sounds like you can bump an old thread but only if you have some new information to add. However, I can see why bumping dead threads isn't the best thing to do. Check out the Junkion Exchange... tons of newbies bumping stuff from 06. If the thread is that old, the super sweet deal is probably long gone to.

That gets a big
    C'MON MAN

Here is my question, since it is bad practice to bump older threads, can zombie threads older then a year automatically be locked? That sounds like it could save people a lot of problems.

4. TRANSJAZZ

TRANSJAZZ Fighting Cancer RIP 10/31/16 Veteran

News Credits:
    They could do that but it would take more money to rewrite programming. Why spend the money on that when they can spend the money to increase the space they have so they can ad new forums for us to enjoy instead. It is an honor system here, if everyone would just adhere to the rules there would be no problems. Everyone bumps a zombie thread at first. It is almost expected. If you do not learn from it, that is when the problems start. Hope this helps.

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Moreprimeland pretty much nailed it. Notice how that very rarely a zombie thread is re-animated with anything new or interesting. That's when it'll get killed for realsies. If someone does bring something new or interesting to light then it's a judgement call based on what happens after that post.

Hint: posting that its an old/zombie/in before lock is going to get it shut down and if you persist in not adding anything other than tired meme's, well, you're going to start recieving warnings/infractions for it.

In short, unless you have something super awesome to say in there, make a new thread for it. If you don't have either, don't post :lol 

6. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

the only time i think it's ok to revive a zombie thread is if it's a situation where you have say a movie or a game that had a thread started with a bunch of hype, then 6 months down the line a new trailer or screenshots are released, generating interest. if you add lins to such stuff to the thread, it's acceptable to revive it, but replying "this looks cool" 6 months later is pointless.

7. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

It's because we all have a mild form of attention defect disorder and we cannot handle bringing up old thr-

HEY!! You wanna go ride bikes??!!

End of Line

8. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I have read a new post on something that refers to the original post and the original post asks a question "what will the new masterpiece be?" And everyone is saying Grimlock. I'm like WTF? And the thread is from October of '08.

Also people that revive old post pets threads, not thinking that the thread is 4 years old and people's pets in the thread have died. And then people have to see cute cuddly rememders of a pet that has passed.

The flip side to this is over the summer, everybody and their brother started a "what will the new classics 3.0 be?" thread. We had like 10 of them going at once. I feel that everyone has the need to feel they're opinion is the most imposrtant one, so they feel the need to have the first post in a thread. Why?

Listen, if you have a valid point and an educated opinion, people will pay attention to it.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  9. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    That said -

Going forward, please direct any board-related inquiries to a mod, who will be more than happy to aswer your questions, instead of creating a thread about it.

10. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Or alternativly, use the Tech Support forum to ask board related questions.

11. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Because ... it's ... in the .... rules.

It's called a 'Zombie Thread'.

12. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

So, nobody's up for a Bike ri-

LOOK!! A hamster!!

End of Line

13. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran