An honest Question directed at todays Fans.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GAUGE, Apr 5, 2012.

1. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    What would you like to see happen in order to love and enjoy being a part of the Transformers Fandom?

Personally for me, I'd like to see the naysayers and haters and the people who cry and complain about all things transformers and are impossible to please no matter what you do to make this franchise better be silenced once and for all. :)  Then finally peace and tranquility will rule and the fandom will be once again in harmony.

(Ah, to be in a perfect world)

2. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    That would also be my first response.

But then you have to consider that there can be a fine line between "needless hating" and "genuine criticism". "Criticism" for one person can be "earth-shattering complaining and hating" for another. There's no set rule/gauge for where complaining ends and where expressing critiques begins. Take the forums here for example. How often have people been flamed for "hating" when they say that they're simply expressing their opinion? They're called out on hating by someone who obviously has different standards on "hating" than they do. Who's to say what's hating and what's not? Therein lies the problem.

But yes, in a perfect, impossible world, all of the needless hate-centric comments would be no more. :)  There would be a magical device on every site that filters any comment with a hater/negative intent/overtone.

3. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

Honestly, I'd like to see conventions happen closer to where I live. I don't have the finances to travel , so something closer would be nice. It would give me the opportunity to connect with other fans, and really get to see what a convention is all about.

Maybe if they had convention in every region of the country, say like Columbia or Myrtle Beach, or Raleigh.

4. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    I'd love to see a botcon happen here in Phoenix Arizona.

5. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

Wait...I love and enjoy being a part of the TF fandom already!

But, to answer your question.....

I think some of the Transformers fandom need to take a deep breath, exhale, and relax! It's gonna be alright!

Maybe it's because people love TFs so much that the reactions/opinions are so strong and swift...

There is certainly a lot of that, for sure. That's why I enjoy THIS so much.

[​IMG]

6. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    -I'd like to see Funpub lose the Transformers and GI Joe license
    -I'd like to see Transformers prices drop in Australia

7. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Bravo, sir. Hyper-sensitivity to honest criticism needs to either go away or folks need to remember these are "discussion boards" where everyone can offer their opinions.

I already enjoy being part of the fandom :D 

8. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Prime feels too episodic. From what we've heard of upcoming episodes like Grill, Armada and Flying Minds, the individual episodes aren't going to be that interesting and they don't add up to anything. Basically, I want either a TF show with better episodes or a better developed overall plot than what we currently have.

Also, when I got into the fandom, I was led to believe that the Decepticons were very powerful. I had watched TF1 and energon volume Megatron Resurrected and the Decepticons seemed like high quality villains. It seems it was all false advertising. (And before I get flamed by the ridicules white knights that this fandom is composed of, the false advertising theme to this paragraph is a joke.)

Those are my biggest complaints but it would also help if every toyline didn't downsize the toys. Compare Animated and TF1 toys to DOTM toy and then try comparing them to RID. I can't buy TF toys anymore because they're way too small for the ones I already have.

9. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I'd love to go back to a time when shows had Autobots and Decepticons ranging in the double digits on a regular basis. I'm personally sick of seeing a core cast of five Autobots and a handful of Decepticons.

I'd love to go back to a time when the line could survive *without* Optimus Prime as the Autobot leader. I know the current IDW comics are doing it now, but both G1, Marvel G1 and to an extent the Beast Wars series also did so and, in the case of Marvel G1, we got some amazing stories featuring lesser known Autobots out of it.

10. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You asked an honest question, now here's my honest answer:

I wish people like you would understand that no one is impossible to please, and that this "Hater" strawman you like-minded people continue to label others as, in fact, does not exist. People shouldn't have to have this stupid "Blind Hater" label thrown on them when they express legitimate complaints you don't want to hear. Nothing is totally peaches and cream, and since this is a discussion board these complaints, and even the nitpicks, are largely what fuels conversation.

Now that that's out of the way, I'd like to see at least half the fanbase raise their standards a little. I hear the equivalent of "Transformers are shit, so _____ being shit is how it should be!" waaay too much from people who are supposed to love these fictional robots. McCarthy and Costa's Dark Age would've lasted much less if droves of people hadn't kept buying them for the brand name and (sometimes) pretty art. I also believe stronger fan backlash could've improved or fixed some things in the Bay movies. A little more active backlash could've likely dislodged FunPub from the club as well.

As it is now, expectations seem so low that anything gets a pass.

11. TheosPrime

TheosPrime Complete Amateur

Ebay:
    Actually, to be honest this is one of the best fantoms I have been a part of, so far. I use to be pretty active in the Super Sentai/ Kamen Rider fandom. And, it wasn't the case. I played WoW for six years and never dear post on the forums because of the atmosphere. I don't want to speak too bad about other people. But, I have to say bravo to this fandom, because it seems very sensible.

However, I am going to kind of spin this on it's head. I would like to see the people OUTSIDE the fandom be a little more understanding. I can't tell you how many times people have given me the :wtf look. Gosh!

12. soundwaverulls

:eek: :bowdown:  This is one of the best posts I've read in all the time I've spent at TFW.

13. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Well said.

14. Decay_is_awesome

Decay_is_awesome Well-Known Member

I think its the knee jerk extreme reactions people have rather than the people who generally complain. It seems like as soon as one poor image or episode preview shows up there are people complaining about how hasbro has screwed them over again. I think it would be a much less combative around here if people took a more moderate approach and thought things over before saying its the worst/best thing ever.

Also all the Hasbro hating. They need to do whats good for business, not whats good for a small but vocal segment of their fans. Sometimes they make toys I like and sometimes they dont. When they do i buy them. Saying you wish something came out or are disappointed in something is cool, but sometimes people seem to think they are owed what they want and if they arent given it they take it personally.

More positively I really want to make it to botcon eventually and meeting some other transformers fans would be a great experience. I thought this year was my year but it didnt work out. Probably would have been a pretty sucky first botcon experience in hindsight..

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    + rep.

The fanbase needs to expect more from TF media than just 'commercials to sell toys', and 'dumb popcorn movies with robots beating each other up and explosions'. Works like Simon Furman's classic Marvel G1 stories, Beast Wars, Last Stand of the Wreckers and James Roberts' current work with the IDW ongoing need to become the yardstick by which the measure of a Transformers tale should be measured.

16. soundwaverulls

I hear so much good stuff about TF comics. I really should try and find some.

17. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

critical thinking requires that you are sometimes critical...

18. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    You don't like people that complain about all things Transformers? And yet you've started a thread complaining about Transformers fans? Bravo.
    And watch just how boring all that peace and tranquility becomes and how quickly people tire of always agreeing and then places like TFW die.

Glassy-eyed Loves Anything TF Drone #1: "I love this particular Transformers thing!"

Glassy-eyed Loves Anything TF Drone #2: "I love it too!"

Glassy-eyed Loves Anything TF Drone #1: "What do you love about it?"

Glassy-eyed Loves Anything TF Drone #2: "EVERYTHING!"

Glassy-eyed Loves Anything TF Drone #1: "ME TOO!!"

Glassy-eyed Loves Anything TF Drone #2: "I know! It's so great how everyone here always agrees and loves everything."

Glassy-eyed Loves Anything TF Drone #1: "Yes! So great!"

Glassy-eyed Loves Anything TF Drone #2: "So great..."

Glassy-eyed Loves Anything TF Drone #1: "So..."

Glassy-eyed Loves Anything TF Drone #2: "Would you like to see my naked balls?"

Glassy-eyed Loves Anything TF Drone #1: "..."

Glassy-eyed Loves Anything TF Drone #2: "Just the balls. Nothing else. Unless you wanted to."

Glassy-eyed Loves Anything TF Drone #1: "Go on then..."

I think everything's generally fine here with the fandom. The highs and the lows. The rant and the rave. Some people perhaps just need to grow a thicker skin or understand how these things actually work and realise the world and those in it aren't obligated to bend to their personal views.
    This of the day.

19. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Well, I think it is cool enough to see that there are still other people who knew Transformers from their childhood and still have a place for them in their heart. Even some among my acquaintances and friends. Though I'm probably the only one who collects Transformers stuff.

And I think it is very cool that there are still new G1 comics made by IDW.

The only thing that would make me more happy would be a new cartoon without CGI in the style of IDW. And if the waiting time for cool Classics and G1 legends wouldn't be so long. But I think we can be grateful that we even get such cool toys. Otherwise I wouldn't be collecting, just dwelling in nostalgia. I can still enjoy the old G1 media.

I personally don't care for people who hate G1 or Geewunners.

20. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'm not much a fan of people that always use G1 as the whipping boy to try and make their preferred thing seem artifically better. They can't just say: "I like this new thing", they feel compelled to say: "I like this new thing because a similar aspect of G1 is shit by comparison" even if it isn't. Or use G1 to validate where a poor newer version of something didn't bother to try harder. "Why are you complaining the new thing is cheesy? G1 was cheesy too". Yeah, 25-odd years ago. Shouldn't those standards have raised by now with advances in everything and more money behind the newer thing?

Funnily enough so many people use both of those 'tricks' to justify their stance on something new. 'It's better because G1 is crap' and 'It's just like G1 so what's the problem?'. I'm sure I can't be the only one that sees the conflict in someone using both those arguments, sometimes even in the same thread debate.

But is the way of the world and human nature, so may as well make a funny comment and get on with it. :)