An honest aprasial of the bayverse......

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by ultramagnus1, Apr 10, 2018.

1. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

With the studio series out and doing well and and the bayverse pretty much done bar a bb movie that may be connected its time for an honest look at Michael bays impact on the tf franchise.

Okay well to start with I was a fan of TFS since the beginning. So a g1 fan. I read marvel UK watched Sunbow, loved the animated movie and got a few figs. In 1990 feeling I was getting too old I decided to quit the franchise and got into music sport and girls

17 years later a live TFS movie by the director of the rock Michael bay is announced. Interested to see how a live tf movie would be done I went to the first movie with my fiancee. I loved the updated optimus prime look but hated Megatron and starscream. But I was interested in seeing more. I felt the franchise calling me back. I bought some titan tf movie comics and found myself becoming invested in characters I thought I had outgrown. There were some good moments in the first movie. Good new characters like barricade were introduced plus the allspark.

When rotf happened I was back to collecting. I bought some figs like mixmaster stratosphere and voyager optimus. My first prime fig in 23 years. Despite its shortcomings I loved the forest battle in rotf. One of my fav sequences involving prime. I was back. I didn't hate or even dislike bay for the designs of these characters I had grown up with. Becausecwhat I realised is bay isv"just the director"

What is easily forgotten is these movies were written by Robert orci and Ethan kreutzman or something like that. Bay to my mind didn't write them and even if he had a hand in it it wasn't all him

Dotm followed. My fav bay tf movie. By then i was reading IDW and collecting figs like a good thing. I loved a lot about this movie. We had Leonard nimoy back in TFS. He even quoted a Spock line or maybe misquoted a Spock line as sentinel. Bay did a good job. Yes some of the action sequences were hard to follow but again its not all strictly bay. Yes he directed the scenes but other designers played a part.

Aoe brought my favorite version of movie prime....evasion mode optimus. Suddenly the Autobot leader was an angry bot. Tbh I didn't blame him. He had been betrayed by the humans. He was pissed. I didn't hate how he was written. It made sense to me. We had movie dynos. I wasn't impressed with the grimlock look or lack of character but his action sequences were great. Prime had some great lines.

The last knight was my least fav because they brushed aside Galvatron and didn't explain how megs returned. It felt like a retcon in a way. Barricade was back and we had nitro and prime briefly became nemesis.

It wasn't perfect. There are a lot of issues with all the bay movies but without them I'd have never returned to the franchise. I have a lot to be thankful for. So becausevof that I say

Thank you Michael bay

From a ,g1 fan.

Long live transformers.

• Like Like x 14
  2. Insurgent

Insurgent Well-Known Member

I do like seeing folks enjoying these movies and positive talk bout them.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ultramagnus1

Cheers

To me they were always good fun popcorn movies and a good night out at the cinema.

And they had some great moments in them across all the bay movies

4. Insurgent

Insurgent Well-Known Member

Exactly. Tlk is the only one i fel hurt by, but i watched it again on a plane and seemed to enjoy it more. And there are little bits that are good, like barricade.

Exactly right. Summer popcorn movies. And they achieve that. Sometimes you want to watch a shawshank redemption. Sometimes you want to see explosions and robots. I think sometimes people expect too much from them. Dotm is still my fav, although I'll happily watch them all, despite their shortcomings.

5. Necrisha

Necrisha Creative, vindictive-possibly a deception.

Eh, the only one that left a real sour taste in my mouth was the 'alice' scene in ROTF- it was more of a, 'seriously? They do realise a good 30% of their viewing base is going to be parents and their kids under 10 brought in because they vaguely remembered watching the series as a kid, and dump that blatantly sexualised scene in there without thinking?' Other then that, and the pacing and use of cringe humour- which I don't enjoy in any popcorn flick, it was alright. I mean if I wasn't fond of transformers as a kid I wouldn't have bothered for the same reason that I never bothered with American pie, or Scary movie...

But hey, all the movies were at least on par with watching the Stargate movie for the third or fifth time, or re-watching Contact after going through highschool and attending an angry physics teacher's rant on how many inaccuracies were in that movie. But then, I'm that weirdo who considers district 9 and all saw movies after the 1st one a popcorn flick...

• Like Like x 1
  6. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee I must be some kind of nut...

*Reads the title of the thread* Oh, this will be good... *Goes in expecting the usual spiel about Michael Bay is the devil and the Bayformers are ugly*

*After reading* Okay, that was... actually a nice story.

My enjoyment of the films depends on the movie. I genuinely enjoy the first film and to an extent Dark of the Moon, Last Knight is a guilty pleasure, and I strongly dislike the Revenge of the Fallen despite the nostalgia I have for it, as well as Age of Extinction, though I do acknowledge that AOE had definite strong points. Easily the best things about the movie are the designs (with some exceeptions), and the action. I also love the toys based on the movies more than anything else, and the Movie Tribute Series Bumblebee set is the proud grail of my collection.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

Impact for the franchise has largely been good, but between AoE being the worst attempt at a soft reboot without being a straight up hard reboot I've ever even seen, and TLK being so bad that all but the most hardened of movie defenders could actually justify its existence (while ironically, many people who downright hated the previous films actually liked TLK for some reason), the time has come for the bayformers franchise to give way to something new.

• Like Like x 2
  8. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

Agree with you. Bay brought TF to mainstream audience well. They're nice popcorn movie. Unfortunately, TLK is very lacking and instantly killed the franchise :(  I just hope Bumblebee will do well so hasbro would consider reviving the franchise sooner than we expected

9. ultramagnus1

Tbh I think the particular movie universe had ran out of steam by tlk. Ironically the Megatron design was my fav design of megs from the movies and it was great to see barricade back and in a position of authority.

I've picked up more tlk figs that I care to admit but I wish it had ended properly and not have the open ending with Unicron. Proper closure

10. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

The studio lost focus when intended TLK to be the opening for cinematic universe. TLK trying to do a lot of things, but also forget lots of things. It forgot the big action scenes, optimus prime, and character development while TLK also developed the myth that intended to be a cinematic universe. It's a lot of wasted potentials. If only the plot is not so convoluted and not set so many things, it could be the best TF movie yet

11. ultramagnus1

Yeah it felt it was the beginning of a grand project with Unicron which would be brilliant to see. It was a set up movie for......nothing.

Massive potential wasted and for me that's the biggest crime

• Like Like x 2
  12. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Well done OP. Pretty much sums up my feelings I have stated many times on here. Without Bay, Paramount, Orci/Kutzman, I never would have gotten back into this world I gave at the age of 10. The movies aren't perfect, and TLK is a trainwreck, but they made me fall in love again with a franchise I so once enjoyed. So yes, I give a big thank you to that crew.

• Like Like x 4
  13. ultramagnus1

Hear hear. Solidarity brother

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's still all a mixed bag for me. You have those oh cool moments in each film and there were moments when the production team would hit on a really solid idea even if they didn't always follow up that idea properly. But there are also those moments where it's damn I'm never going to be able to wear a Transformers tee-shirt in public again. Also just couldn't ever get into the design ascetics, but people have different tastes in robots so it's not like there would ever be a design where every last person would say that's my thing.

I kind of wonder though if we can really call them popcorn flicks because they were made in that era of movies being too damn serious for their own damn good. After The Dark Knight went crazy at the box office and even managed some Oscar buzz every studio seemed to get this crazy idea that all people wanted was overly serious movies. So Transformers tried to play off as we are this super serious movie about super serious things and we have to kill off our villains because we are dark, grim, gritty, whatever buzz words are hot in movies. It was only when they got called out for something inappropriate in the humor that they seemed to spin with hey it's just a popcorn flick, but we are going super serious next movie. Sometimes those tonal shifts in the movie were really rough, one minute it's like the Planet of the Apes reboot films and the next minute it's as close to a raunchy comedy as you can get without slipping into an R rating.

Now that big goofy not the brightest bulb in the pack fun is the new thing in Hollywood I'm interested in seeing where they can go with Transformers. It always seemed at least to me that the best parts of the Transformers movies where when they embraced the madness of just how silly it is that robots from another planet are beating the crap out of each other and leaving the city looking like a drunk Godzilla stumbled downtown. Lets just cross our fingers that memorable bad ass villains become a Hollywood trend because in the age of bigger than life over the top heroes the movie villains lately have been lame, forgettable, and overly disposable.

15. MegaPrime1007

MegaPrime1007 The Great Defender of the BAYverse

News Credits:
    Lol, yeah that's my main issue with the films. While I love these movies so much, a flaw that bugs me is the tonal shifts. One moment it's super serious, next moment there is goofy humor. I personally would just prefer that movies stay serious the entire time through, and just let the humor come naturally, lightly, and still be serious humor, much like in TF1 and AOE. If you were to rip out all of the goofy moments from the films, clean up the plot holes, they'd be near perfect IMO.
    I know a lot of people dislike the gritty, dark, Nolan-esque tone of recent Hollywood films, but I really love it and embrace it.

16. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

"Sam's Happy Time" was serious humor?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That's what I absolutely love in Michael Bay's TFs and that's what makes them close to G1 and other TF media. I understood it long ago. I love funny adventurous movies, like Pirates, but always felt, that they need something more emotional and deeper. From the other hand, I love epic movies, like SW prequels and LOTR, but feel, that they are too heavy and pathetic. And TFs in 2007 and further just hit me right in the heart! I adore, how MB keeps this fine balance (not in TLK, but that's not fully his fault) between seriousness and humor. This makes the film so optimistic and sincere. The life itself has the same features. If you have something bad happening, you must keep the sense of humor or you will sink into depression. And also I deeply apreciate Michael Bay's bold manner, because no one films the movies in such way. I respect, when people do something new, regardless of what others think about it. Also, where did you see plot holes in TF 1-4?
    The Movies have PG-13 rating and never were intended for children. I know many children adore them, despite of this "adult" moments (there was very little truly "adult", if not nothing, you underestimate the curiosity of modern children), but they badly understand the plot and meaning. TFs are rather movies for 16 and older, because of Sam's and Tessa's maturing problems.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It's a good point that you don't have to shift tones to add humor to a movie. I laughed really hard at the Joker's pencil trick in the Dark Knight but it didn't feel like you had jumped into another film when there was a moment to laugh. They used dark humor to fit into the feel they were going for with the overall movie.

• Like Like x 2
  19. MegaPrime1007

MegaPrime1007 The Great Defender of the BAYverse

News Credits:
    I'll PM you.