An eye for an eye

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chaos Muffin, May 16, 2011.

1. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    But many Arabs consider themselves Persian. Being Persian now a days is like being Canadian (a whole bunch of races mixed into one big Nationality)

No surprise, looking at the Middle East is like watching humanity as it were in the stone ages.

Civilized nations learned a long time ago that, the promblem with an eye for and eye is that everyone goes blind.

2. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not really. A lot of my close friends are Iranian/Pakistani/Iraqi and they delineate themselves between Arabs and Persians very easily, and quite vocally. I'd say it's more likely those who are no longer in the country of origin might do so, but the Persian culture as a whole is a proud one, and built on tolerance, whereas the practices mentioned in this article harken back to another culture, and it branches off into religion so I'll end my point there....

it's also worth noting the Persian culture is oppressed in the countries of origin, so it might be that they are more "free" to express it in the North Americas than elsewhere as well

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good for her!

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    awesome, but if she is blind, how will she aim correctly?

5. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    What I was refering to is that you get a lot of non Persians claiming to be Persian. And I don't know abotu a proud civilized culture. Middle easters have constantly migrated to new countries and caused problems, France, Germany, England...I'm sure a quick google search will shwo you how happy they are with their Middle East migrations. These people were brought up in war and live every day in a war torn culture. They are not a civilaized people. When your country spends your entire life keeping you oppressed and under a violent thumb...shit sticks to you and well, this is getting to deep into psychology, world issues and most importantly politics so I will end it now and stand by the fact that these people are still stuck in the stone age in regards to living civily.

6. Dr. Grimlockisking

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not disputing that there are people who claim to be a part of a group when they're not. That happens in ANY group. If you spend time around those who were in the culture, and left it, there is a lot of pride in the culture. And I can do a google search and come up with countless examples of ANY culture who cause problems when they go elsewhere, it's not really a valid point, not to mention you are lumping the Persian cultural group in with all Middle Easterners. It's like lumping all Somalian Pirates in with the entire continent of Africa. It doesn't work.

One of the benefits of the work I do with my employer is all the people I deal with are immigrants, and my doctorate is focused on that as well. The point I was making is those who adhere to the Persian culture, ideals, et cetera, are a proud people and preach tolerance moreso than other cultures in that area. Now if you want to talk about the COUNTRIES in the area are stuck in the stone age in regards to civil rights, human rights, et cetera, I'll agree with you. There is a line separating a culture of the country, and the subcultural group. Persians are the subcultural group there, and not the majority. The majority of the people in Iran fall under the Islamic Cleric rule and culture, while Persians are the "minority" there.

That said. It's still jacked up that this type of stuff goes on in our world. And yes, it's very much a part of the Iranian culture that the man would be catered to in his punishment, though honestly, I'm still surprised he got any punishment for it. Had they been married, he would have gotten no punishment whatsoever.

7. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    this 100%

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot The Strongest.

The thing that sticks out to me is that they're actually putting the woman on equal footing in terms of humanity with the man. Iran is not exactly known for that.

9. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Agreed. And I was surprised too. I thought killing woman in the middle east was pretty much common practise. (An I am exaggerating but I am sure you can pick out what I mean)

10. Dr. Grimlockisking

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah it is. There was a big uproar last year when a woman whose husband had passed away slept with another man out of wedlock (after her husband had died mind you), and she was going to be stoned in an arena. A bunch of HR groups got involved, and they backed off, but quietly followed through later anyways. It sucks, but that's why the younger generations there are leaving in mass exoduses.

One of my best friends was born and raised there until she was 16, and was married off at 14, one of the reasons her family left was her husband got her pregnant, didn't want to have any children and beat her so bad she miscarried. And she was considered "shamed" by the police for reporting against her husband. Needless to say, she's less than enamored with the thought of ever living there again.

11. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Grimlocksking pretty much hit the nail on the head. I've never heard anything about Arabs considering themselves Persian at all, but I certainly know that Persian do NOT like being designated as Arabs, or Iran designated an Arab country. Iran and it's people are my primary focus/interest in the Middle East, and have been for over 15yrs. I also live in Southern California, which has the largest Persian community outside Iran in the U.S. I've never made the mistake of mixing up Persian vs Arab, but it's the underlying theme I've heard in person from people, and on any message board I visit. Furthermore, not all "Persians" in Iran are viewed as equally Persian.

A lot of aspects of Iran are different. The youth are very much into American culture, and a great number of people are very much into a "western" style of living. The main problem IMO is that certain "religious aspects" from the older generation have yet to modernize, and I'll leave it at that.

Yes, yes, we've all heard this Gandhi line. Problem with it is this - you find yourself in position where if you let someone take out one eye and do nothing, they will take out your other eye as well. Then it's just YOU who are left blind while the bad person goes on about doing more evil deeds to other people. That doesn't do anyone any good.

People have to be punished for bad deeds. To this extent (re:the article subject) is the only thing that should be up for debate.

:dj 

12. Dr. Grimlockisking

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never seen my friend fly off the handle like she did when someone called her Arab. It's a HUGE disrespect to them and their culture. Even the differences between Farsi and Arabic languages (written and spoken) are enough to merit it when someone gets them confused.

13. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

Indeed it is. Kam Farsi sohbat mikonid <--- I know just a little bit. Mostly self-taught since Sothern Cali is all about Spanish classes instead of offerring a broader language palet for people to choose from.

14. Dr. Grimlockisking

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used to know much more......not nearly as much now, I'm hoping to get back into it and certified as a translator so I can do more background work at my job. I can read the written language a bit better than I can speak it. Sadly, once I got married, I stopped hanging around said friend as much so my farsi's a bit rusty.

I remember welcoming phrases and goodbye phrases mostly. Erm...baad az zohr bekheir is good afternoon if I remember right. Lotfan is please and khodahafez goodbye. other than that I'd have to write it down in Farsi to remember it lol

15. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    You should try living in a part of the world founded on Christian values. No eye for an eye there and yet, for the most part, we all got one or both of our eyes.

You are over simplifying an eye for an eye into something that if you don't do an eye for an eye you do nothing at all. And we all know that in Modern Western Societies there is a huge spectrum of things that can be done other than an eye for an eye.

16. Phil

Phil Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a hardcore ruling right there, makes me glad to be in the US.

17. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    You know I hear a lot of folk harping on about the fact that justice is blind, and all about balance, often referencing the statue of Lady Justice (adapted from Themis) and her blindfold and scales. Take a look at her other hand; its holding a sword

For the most part, the balanced and considered judicial review, or the scales if you prefer, is how we should run things: but when a really good example of inhumanity is brought before the courts, never forget you also have the sword at your disposal. Some folk need help, rehabilitation or a fresh start. Others need 38 inches of cold steel and a shallow hole in the ground.

The fellow in the article is getting the steel, as he should. However until Radical Islam (as opposed to a peacfully practiced faith) are gotten rid of, then the Middle East is not going to improve

18. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

win

This guy is getting off way to light this is one of those cases where "extreme melee revenge" should be allowed

19. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ... what happened to the good old days when you'd get strung up in the courtyard for the entire village to prod & laugh at until you died of starvation & heat exhaustion?

20. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    My Dad is Persian and he always rants on about it being the Persian Gulf, not the Arabian Gulf. He also hates lots of rules over there, especially the Human Rights. But the food is nice :)