An Englishman in New York - Where to source TFs in the Big Apple

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by I-Primus, Feb 23, 2012.

1. I-Primus

I-Primus Well-Known Member

Howdy to my TF cousins across the pond, I may need your help. I'm travelling to New York City in March and will be at some point on the hunt for Transformer figures so I'm trying to put together a list of where to shop to find some. This is what I am thinking so far:

Toys R Us Times Square
    K-Mart
    Target - Jersey City
    Walmart - either Secaucus or North Bergen

I know I might come across TFs in the likes of Forbidden Planet etc but I'm looking for general retail releases. Is there anywhere else I should be looking? Dollar stores? Clearance outlets?

Thanks for any info :D 

If this isn't the best place for this thread Mods, apologies, wasn't sure where to place it.

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Go go to New Jersey or Connecticut. They have a lower sales tax than New York State, better yet New York City. Oh, and don't go to TRU, they overprice figures as is.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TRU Times Square is a fun experience and worth checking out if you are in the area but it's not worth planning a whole trip around. Stuff there is usually higher price and older than other TRUs. There's a TRU Express at the Manhattan Mall which is on 32nd and 6th or Broadway (I forget which) that sometimes has fun stuff. Midtown Comics is crap for toys but has a huge selection of comics and is quite fun. There's also a store called Image Anime which is down on 30th between 7th and 8th that has quite a bit of TF stuff, but it will be quite pricey.

Under no circumstances whatsoever go to the Forbidden Planet if you only want TF stuff. They barely ever have anything interesting and if they do it will be insane prices. $20 for ROTF Tunder Mudflap? GTFO

4. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Out of interest, how much would they be at NY TRU with Tax? I'd like to know how much cheaper an 'overpriced' figure in the US would be against UK retail.

Nice to know your Forbidden Planets are as rubbish as ours :) 

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Last time I was there, a Generation Deluxe was $15.99 + tax, which was about 9%, making it about $17.50. That's just over 11 quid, which from a UK perspective is not too bad at all. I'm British, so I'm used to overpaying for everything anyway :lol 

6. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    You went to the wrong country. You want Canada, where the better stuff is at. Nothing but DOTM Bumblebees in this land.

7. mikenoynoy

mikenoynoy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Maybe the toy shops in Chinatown?

8. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    For what, KO's?

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you're in Manhattan, I'd say go to TRU and Image Anime. You may not find much to buy, but they're both cool stores and worth a visit just to browse.