An email-to-fax website to avoid Botcon registration hassle...

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Wajo357, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Wajo357

Wajo357 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey all,
    I'm anticipating the botcon registration forms to be released soon and like many of you, I don't have a fax at home to send in the registration for Botcon. So I did some digging and I found a free fax service. You upload the document as a word, excel of pdf file and it will fax it for you once you confirm through your email address provided. I haven't tried it, but it seems like it could fit our needs:

FAQ: About FaxZero.com

Some specifics from FAQ:
    1) Allows only 2 faxes per day for free
    2) Maximum pages allowed for free per fax is 3
    3) Free version has a cover page with the companies logo
    4) It will try connecting 5 times before giving up. (And it will send you a failure notice via e-mail when it does.) - This MIGHT NOT BE ENOUGH for Botcon (but you can try again for free)
    5) Scans are in Black and White - don't fill out your form in red ink.
    6) Try to keep files uploaded to under 10mb

Does anyone have experience with something like this? This sounds good to me if I'm home and not at work.

2. Repugnus

Repugnus ActionMaster

News Credits:
    Nice find! If it works, it could make things a whole heck of a lot easier once the Botcon registration forms show up.

3. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will never understand why they still do it this way.

4. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Nice find. It's a great idea for those who have fax machines. Though if the phone/fax lines get tied up, even a proxy service is going to be out of luck.

5. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is the method I've always used, though a different service. It isn't any quicker than a real fax except I can send it from home at whatever time forms go up. Usually 9-12 pm when nowhere with a fax would be open.

6. bradforj

bradforj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have had better luck faxing at night.

7. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't you have to fill out your credit card details on the Botcon fax? Potentially a bit risky, yes?

8. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    Yup. What she said. :D 

I'm taking my chances, faxing it on my own, that is...

9. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yup. That's why I'm glad my Mum's printer/scanner/thing is also a fax. Although after the eleven hours it took to get through last year, the sooner FP ditch such a twatty system (hell, even if they got in extra fax lines instead of just having ONE, it'd be a colossal improvement) the better. I promised myself last year that this would be THE last time I'd do the fax thing; if it's still done like this next year I either won't go, or I'll get some other fucker to waste nearly half a day on it.

10. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    It is rather unbelievable that FP insists on such an insanely crap method of registration. Especially when some much smaller-scale cons I know of often have online registration.

You know it's bad when that's the worst part next to the long, slow moving lines at the f-n' con itself! :D 

11. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OK I just looked at the link. I'm not sure I would you a free thing like that. I used I a site, MyFax, I think. It's a proper company that you pay a monthly fee too plus the cost of sending the fax. But they do free one month trials and the first few faxes are free too, so it doesn't cost as long as you remember to cancel before the month is up. I've never had any problems with my sending card details, but I'm always sure to check my card regularly afterwards, but I do that after any unusual payments.

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Those shitty fax machines.

Next thing you know, they'll break us up in to color-coded groups and have us spend HOURS getting the toys we paid for.

Blasphemy.

13. TheMonarch

TheMonarch Still arching Venture

News Credits:
    I've used FaxZero.com the last few years running for my BotCon registration. I usually pony up the $1.99 for the premium service. It works pretty well, and I haven't had any issues with the sensitive nature of the cc number.

Hell, I sent a 13 page fax to the Governor of Ohio with it... scholarship thing...don't ask.

14. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Great find.

Its still the biggest turn off to Botcon for I, having to fax in a registration form in a day and age where everyone has easy access to the internet and having to queue for the paid plastic for longer than the time it took to get there.