An Email From Hasbro...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PrimulArchangel, Aug 24, 2007.

1. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I recently sent hasbro an email asking them whats up with the limited amounts released for figures like the 08 Bumblebee and Deluxe Arcee . I let them know that it sucks because the scalpers are having a field day with these and the True Fans are paying the price for it . This is the email responce i got back from them

So i was thinking that anyone that is upset about the limited numbers of figures should start emailing hasbro and letting them know about it and hopefully get something done to where we can get them to make at least equal amounts of every toy and put the scalpers out of business. It's a long shot and maybe someone already started something like this i dunno , but it cant hurt to try .. Just go to the hasbro site and send them an email.

Just an idea :) 

-Curt

2. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At least they didn't tell you to go find one on Ebay. :) 

3. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think they are doing their best ATM...They have the whole world to supply...just wait it out and see. The only people putting scalpers in business are the people who are buying them. If we don't want the scalpers to win, just simply put, don't buy it from them and wait it out. The trick is if we don't buy it, they won't see scalping as profitable. Easy.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    It's really the RETAILERS and NOT Hasbro. Hasbro has made plenty of figures, it's just a matter of the RETAILERS to get them to the customer. (Old stuff being restocked, anyone?)

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I hope YOUR Hasbro listens more carefully than ours.

6. fastballspecial

fastballspecial SAY SOMETHIN'!

News Credits:
    Hasbro is the one packing these cases with ONE Bumblebee, at least in certain assortments. If cases were FULL of Bumblebee, at least now, do you seriously think anyone would be mad? There would be plenty to go around so board members wouldn't have to act as retailers and buy them all for other board members. Yeah, it's about the nicest thing someone can do right now, but is there really a reason we should be doing that when there are retail stores basically on every corner of every street that SHOULD have these things all over the place.

I mean, damn, get a clue. This flick just made over $600 million dollars in theaters alone, not counting merch, advertising, and the like. Retailers/Hasbro don't think... "hmmm... maybe non-fans want a toy or two?", which do include scalpers. If 7-11 is selling Halo 3, then we should be able to buy TF's from crack dealers in Detroit. These things should be EVERYWHERE. Instead, they are nowhere.

Oh, and I have my '08 BB, it just ticks me off that everyone who wants it can't get it.

/end rant.

7. PrimulArchangel

PrimulArchangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly the reason why i emailed them and told them whats up.. I even replied to there email and sent them the link to the guy on ebay selling 18 Movie Jazz G1 Repaint figures IN HAND that aint even suppose to be in stores till September i read. So im waiting to see what they say about that.

All i want is a Purple Arcee bike for cost and i cant even get me one lol

8. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    It blows that you guys can't find the figures that you want, but I don't think that Hasbro gives 2 shits about the availability of a certain figure.

The retailers are the ones selling the stock to scalpers; maybe you should e-mail them the same thing. Hopefully they will change there policy.

9. fastballspecial

News Credits:
    Hasbro should care about availability of their figures in general though. Store shelves shouldn't be empty, should they?

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As mentioned, the problem right now is with the retailers, not Hasbro. I realize there's a knee-jerk reaction in this fandom to blame Hasbro for every single problem, but there are other factors to consider.

As they mentioned in their e-mail, Hasbro makes enough figures to meet national demand and that "demand" is set beforehand by what the retailers order, not afterwards by what becomes popular with fans. Hasbro could make a massive amount of a particular wave, but if retailers don't order any, then Hasbro can't force stores to carry them and we won't see them (ie - Universe Seacons, the unreleased 6" Titaniums). In the case of the Movie stuff, it's clear that retailers underestimated the demand (probably based on the poor peformance of SM3 and PotC movie toys, I'd wager) and didn't order enough of the figures. Result: Figures sell out and retailers need to order more. But it's not like Hasbro keeps a bunch of extra figures sitting around "just in case", as that wouldn't be economical; they need to actually produce more toys and that takes time. Add to that time to actually ship the things to stores. From what I've heard (the Allspark had a thread discussing this awhile back), there are massive delays at some ports overseas, which may be holding up the shipping of the new figures from the factory to stores. Now, concerning some of those "no new TFs until October because of manufacturer" signs at some Targets? Classic CYA manuever on Target's part. They obviously aren't going to put up "no new TFs because we didn't order enough" and make themselves look bad, so they're shifting the blame elsewhere. And it's an effective tactic, given how many people really don't seem to understand much about retail distribution of these items.

As far as certain figures being rare, Arcee is definitely shortpacked (one-per-case in one assortment), but the case ratios for everything else are pretty equal. In the four most 'recent' assortments listed on BBTS, 08 BB is 1-per-case, 2-per-case and 1-per-case in assortments 0004, 0005 and 0007 respectively. The case assortments are including plenty of this figure but those assortments haven't hit shelves in quantity yet for a number of reasons, some of which I listed above.

11. fastballspecial

News Credits:
    I agree with you, Scantron, but does no one (Hasbro, retailers) realize that this IP is mainstream now?

I run a comic shop, and after the movie came out, it's all I heard about. Customers who had never spoken of TF's before would show up with a Prime shirt on, or holding one of their new action figures. To me, that speaks volumes.

Granted, it has been seven or eight weeks since the movie figures were released, so it might take some more time for numbers to trickle in actually showing the proverbial shit hitting the fan.

12. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

I think those who are worried and/or freaking out should just RELAX. 08BB will be everywhere in no time, hec even I've found one, plus Arcee, longarm Final Battle Jazz, payload and dreadwing and this place has been dead for over a month now. Just be patient, you'll be sick of seeing 08BB soon enough

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hindsight is 20:20, though. I'm sure retailers are aware of it now (with a vengeance), but the problem is that they weren't aware of it however many months ago when Hasbro came around asking "How many TF Movie figure cases do you guys want to begin with?". Even if Hasbro went in with high expectations for the line (which I'd bet they did), it wouldn't matter as long as the retailers had low/moderate expectations and ordered according to those projections. On the plus side, there's no way this is going to happen with TF2.

Missed this one in my previous post. This is a case where you should e-mail Target and make a complaint, as Hasbro has absolutely no control over this situation. Hasbro isn't the one selling mass quantities of these figures from the stockroom before their street date (Aug 26th, BTW) and it's doubtful they're going to be able to influence the policies of Target as a corporation or as at the level of individual stores. Forwarding that link along to Target would be more likely to get something accomplished. Especially if you know the eBay seller's location and/or the store location where the figures were purchased. The shear number of figures involved makes me think an employee might be in league with this scalper and that's something Target as a corporation could deal with.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  14. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You guys gotta realize that there are a kagillion targets, walmarts, tru's, kaybees, online stores ALLL ordering at the same time...Hasbro has lost the mold to the machine that makes toys magically appear when called for...then it's not just the U.S., it's also the other side of the world that would like some too. Hasbro did make enough toys for everyone, it's just that there are some who wish to own 18 of the same items...you just have to wait...and chillax...

15. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I just have to laugh at Hasbro and the retailers on this debacle. They are losing unknown mountains of cash. If I want a toy bad enough I can go to eBay. After all...I'm and adult and I need to "grow up and stop playing with toys", according to my wife. I feel bad for the parents who have to listen to their kids whining like little banshees every time they walk down the empty toy aisle.

16. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    Wow, we've finally turned into rebelscum.com where everyone is bitching about hasbro not knowing how to distribute a toyline despite the fact they've done so with many toylines succesfully for over 20 years.

17. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Um, sorry about your luck? What exactly is Hasbro supposed to say on the matter? It's not like they can do anything about scalpers, and I don't think they really care since by the time the figures have left their distribution center, they've already been paid for by the companies that ordered them (assuming they pay their bills on time). Movie G1 Jazz in store in September would have already shipped by now, so even if a scalper got his hands on a bunch of them, Hasbro's already got their money.

I don't mean so sound callous, but even with the shortages and empty shelves around here, I've still been able to find Deluxe Arcee, and got my hands on an 08 Bumblebee, and I didn't pay eBay prices. I was just diligent in my search (read: look other places besides Walmart, Target, Meijer, or TRU) and patient. Look in overstock areas like at TRU--sometimes people hide elusive stuff up there, as that's where I found Deluxe Arcee. Whining to Hasbro isn't going to fix anything, as I almost guarantee the person reading your emails at Hasbro feels the exact same way as I just described above.

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Personally, I think a lot of fans are taking this drought too personal. It's not like it's something we absolutely need to live (like food). It's just toys, nothing with any real importance. That and what is Hasbro supposed to do about it? It's not their fault anyways. Blame the retailers for not ordering enough product. You can even go as far as to blame people that wait for something to go on clearance before even thinking about purchasing it.

19. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Okay, let's dissect this a bit. First, if there were cases of BBs, the same people complaining that they can't find him would be bitching about him shelfwarming and wondering what the hell hasbro was thinking doing that.

Second, board members "acting as retailers" is a part of making friends and a part of this hobby. Why do you think there's a sightings thread. I've got 3 people in different parts of my state that we all look for stuff for each other. That's one of the benefits of the internet. To me, and I'm sure my friends that I've made by doing so, that's not a bad thing. It's a joy for me to call one of them up and say "hey man, I just picked you up a xyz" and them to be excited that they've not got one. Make friends and help each other.

Lastly, be patient. Don't give into the scalpers and they will eventually give up. Be patient, more stock is coming. Be patient (and happy) that kids, yes KIDS are also buying up our toys. It is them that hasbro are catering to, not us. Always remember that.

20. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

In my typical cynical fashion.. Hasbro doesnt give a s*** that email looked like rehashed pacification malarky.. Hasbro packs the cases and the cases are short packed so they cant give an answer like they have no control... they do have control... dont short pack figures....pretty easy if you ask me. Ultimately its retailers especially huge ones like Wal-mart who dictate which locations get what and how much but Hasbro does have at least some control.