Minor/Repaint: An easy "MP" Ratchet?

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Jul 18, 2008.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I was messing around with my Movie Rescue Ratchet figure, and I came up with this really simple mod that gives Movie Rescue Ratchet a decidedly more G1 appearance!

This is not a finished bash, but I figured I'd show this as a work-in-progress now, because I don't know how long it'll take me to get around to finalizing it.

Most of the modding here could be done in under 30 minutes if you have a Dremel tool, or maybe an hour if you've got a manual hobby knife. It's pretty easy. None of it changes the transformation to vehicle mode at all.

I also removed the grill bars and roof rack, because I wanted a more "urban" ambulance look, instead of the off-road style of the original design.

The hands are from Movie Voyager Optimus, but if you have a spare Alternator Jeep kicking around, those hands fit perfectly on this mold without any modding necessary. It's pretty sweet... but for Ratchet, I like these more delicate "healing hands".

The head and ambulance light-bar are just temporary placeholders. I want to get a slightly larger head and attach it with a hinged arm so it can fold out when he transforms. I've checked and there appears to be lots of space to store the head in Hummer mode.

There are a few issues with this mod...
    -the back view is a bit unattractive
    -his waist is TINY, though I have two possible fixes in mind for that...
    -his wheels occasionally conflict with each other. Other than that, he's pretty poseable!

He's also really TALL... I call him "MP" Ratchet because he seems too big next to Alternators... though with a bit of ingenuity, this mod could yield a really awesome Altstyle Grapple or Inferno too (who were pretty tall compared to the other autobots anyway)!

zmog

*EDIT* heh heh... I just realized you can see my cat in the second picture. Sneaky fuzzball!

Attached Files:

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Dude, you actually made the mold look GOOD! Now I'm wanting to get one and try this. Great work so far, bro--can't wait to see it completed (and the alternate mode). Keep it up!

3. SMOG

Thanks! The alt mode will look exactly the same as it normally does, except the grill bars and roof rack will be gone, and he'll have emergency lights on the roof. I'm hunting around for second-hand toy firetrucks to see if I can find a good light bar to use for Ratchet...

zmog

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

That looks dope. If you can do anything wit the knees, hit us with it.

5. SMOG

I sort of like his knees as they are... though the bars that cover his tail lights do occasionally get in the way of his knee joint, so maybe some of that kibble could be reduced a little.

zmog

6. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    Smog, This is genius.

7. djs in disguise

djs in disguise Active Member

nice one this is such a cool mod i may have to rethink mine now . i like the way you got the door panels on the front of his arms it does look more like a classic or MP now. i dont think i can quite work out how you have done it though is it just trimming down the hinge behind where his head would usually attach to give it more rotation or are the more cuts needed . this does look really good and i want to a least try it on mine this is a very cleaver mod cant wait to see yours finished

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

alright, that's it!!! if I see one of these again, it's mine! I so need to get two of these to do ironhide and ratchet to complete the 84 bots.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    he looks pretty cool. He part-forms, though, doesn't he? :( 

10. SMOG

NOPE!

No parts-forming! It's all "perfect-change!" :) 

Or at least it will be once I get his head permanently mounted on a fold-out arm... but first I have to find a better head. The Powerlinx Armada Hotshot head is just a touch too small.

It's a pretty easy mod. You'll see where plastic needs to be trimmed to make everything fit. But here's what I did... I hope my descriptions are clear, because I can't take pictures at the moment:

1. trimmed a bit of white plastic where the big hinge on his red "spine" connects to his upper body, so it can bend back the other way.

You also need to take a bit of excess plastic off the sides of the red piece so it will fit through the new opening you've made in the white plastic.

3. then you have to cut some of the plastic away from the neck guard behind where his head used to be... so the red spine piece can lay almost flat ... obviously, you should remove the head first and also that hatch covers it in truck mode.

4. Again, to get the red spine to lay nice and flat in there, you should remove the leftover neck pin that his head attaches to. Frankly this was a pain in the ass... that rivet is really stubborn.

That's pretty much it, but I took it a bit further...

5. In this new configuration, his shoulders sit really far back. I unscrewed each shoulder and used the dremel to cut a channel for his shoulder pin, that now enables his shoulders to slide forward towards his chest about 3 more centimeters or so... but it makes a difference.

6. This is an optional step, but to give his midsection a little more volume, I also took the hatch piece that usually goes under the front end and cut a chunk out of the middle (which also cuts it in half). Then I glued the 2 pieces back in place, but left a path between them large enough for the red spine piece to lie in between.

Like I said, about 20-30 minutes of work if you have a power tool to do the cutting, but honestly, I did most of this with wire snips and a hobby knife because I was too lazy to dig out my Dremel.

The result does not compromise the transformation at all. And then, if you don't like it, the only thing you can't really undo is cutting the bottom hatch in half, or destroying the neck pin when you pull it out, like I did. :D 

There are a few advanced steps that would make his waist less tiny, such as adding another hinge in the mid point of the red spine, but I'm not sure if I want to go through the trouble. I may just attach something extra that covers up the gap in his waist... it seems less tricky than chopping up the red part that holds the whole figure together.

Sorry I didn't take pictures of the steps... but it's really pretty obvious where to cut once you have the figure in your hands and start messing with it.

zmog

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Love it - it looks just so much more... well, Ratchet. Using the doors as shoulder guards and getting the windshield up at the top of his chest makes him look so much more like himself.

Can't wait to see how he looks finished...

12. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    Cool, looks good! Makes sense for Ratchet to be a bit taller than the Alt/Bt 'bots anyway; after all, a Hummer-type vehicle will clearly be bigger than a sports car. Can we expect to see Ironhide joining him? ;) 

13. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Tabarnacos!!! That is looking super freakin nice !

14. Rhinox555

Rhinox555 Insert clever joke here.

I think i may know some ways to get him to look near-identical to his IDW appearance. Awesome work dude.

15. SMOG

Thanks guys! :) 

Not sure about Ironhide. I'm going to mod my green Ratchet the same way, though I'm uncertain ultimately what will become of him. I might go the Soundwave repaint route that some others have followed, especially since the windshield can still flip up... perhaps to "eject" a minion? :D 

And then there's Grapple and Inferno, who I also think this mod would suit really well. Hey, I could keep him green, add a crane, and call him "Hauler"!

The funny thing about the size factor is that Movie Ratchet is actually a bit -smaller- scale than Alternators, so he will look a bit undersized next to them... but then he folds out to be head-and-shoulders taller!

However, while it's nice that Alternators all have a consistent scale, really minor scale deviations have never been that big of a concern with Transformers, so I can't get too stuck on that. :) 

zmog

16. Spurt Reynolds

Spurt Reynolds Puppet Show Justice!!

I love what you`ve done here SMOG,very ingenious work.

17. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Holy crap, man, that's awesome. Now I wish I had Ratchet...

18. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    What he said--this is fantastic! The scale is perfect next to MP Prime and the Alts--as an ambulance, Ratchet should be midway in size between them. Great work!

19. wwoptimusprime

wwoptimusprime Till all are one

If only there were a way to fold the fron tires under to give his body some more mass. Excellent work so far. your work inspired me to try and thats why Im saying the tire idea. Im not quite good enough to do it myself but I think you might be.

20. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    Wouldn't an Alt Prowl head work with him?

Also awesome It looks totally better then the actual transformation.