Heavy/Scratch: An ancient Hooper_X thing - Spychanger Wheeljack

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Hooper_X, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Since I appear to be catching the bug again, I figured I'd show off one of my older deals. Wheeljack here was done in early/mid 2002. Don't recall precisely when, but he was completed by BotCon '02, where I gave him to Ant from TFU.info as a gift, 'cause dude is a massive Wheeljack mark.

Base figure is RiD Spychanger Side Burn, heavily heavily dremeled down and built back up with epoxy putty. A lot of what's going on here is pretty primitive by modern kitbashing standards, but six-odd years ago, this was fairly impressive, if I do say so. Could definitely use a smoother sanding job (I was in a rush to get it done by BC, IIRC), some better paint work (all the stripes are freehand, and it shows, the white is plain ol' Testor's acrylic) and stickers that weren't done on CD label sheets. (the Autobot symbol is from Reprolabels - this was so far back in the day that you still had to cut everything out by hand)

I do like how the head turned out - that's just Side Burn's noggin with a thin line dremeled down the middle and a piece of plastic glued into place. Still looks great, IMO. Anyway, Spychanger versions of Wheeljack, Hot Rod, Jazz, and the Stunticons were kind of the high-water marks of my kitbashing career. I'll probably post the rest later, although I only still own Jazz and Hot Rod (Ant bought the Stunticons too).

Anyway, I really enjoyed working with the Spychanger molds - they were cheap and small and accepted putty/paint/etc relatively easy. They were also a snap to disassemble, even before I knew how to knock pins out.

Attached Files:

2. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I like it.

This should have be included in the Universe G1 Spychanger's line.

3. Paul Prime

Paul Prime Well-Known Member

It is impressive, no matter when it was done. The head is amazing! Post the other ones too, please. I have some Spychangers, maybe I could try something like this.

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Excellent work!! I love working on the little guys! Same level of difficulty (more?) but cheap enough to thrash away without emptying your pockets! I also like that you can have a bunch on the shelf and not be cluttered!
    I think your body work is damn impressive, and I like the head too! Definitely post pics of your others, I would like to see them too!!:thumbs2: 

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This looks great and it seems that I remember seeing this when you first made it somewhere (in the original Radicons Yahoo! Group perhaps?), but I can't remember where. I'm a RiD nut, and I have a soft spot for Spychangers especially.

You really did a nice job on this. I would like to see you make another down the road sometime. I also hope we see more and more from ya! :thumb 

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

very sweet piece