An ALT Case Study...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Razerwire, Mar 27, 2006.

?

What is your main turn off to the ALT line if any???

1. Bad distribution

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bad designs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Bad character associations

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Not enough Decepticons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Repaints

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Remolds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Choice of materials used

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Constantly changing packaging

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Lack of extras

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Price point

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I was thinking about what I thought was wrong about the ALT line and wondered what this particular fandom thought of as a turn off to the line...

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    erroneous character association within context of established lore.

3. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Upon further evaluation, it would seem that a pattern has emerged where I would be led to think that each mold will have three figures...

If you look at it this way:

Subaru WRX:
    1. Smokescreen
    2. Silverstreak
    3. Ricochet

Dodge Viper:
    1. Sideswipe
    2. Dead End
    3. Sunstreaker

Jeep Wrangler:
    1. Hound
    2. Swindle
    3. Rollbar

Chevrolet Corvette:
    1. Tracks
    2. Ravage
    3. Swerve

Mazda RX-8:
    1. Meister
    2. Shockblast

Ford Mustang:
    1. Grimlock
    2. Wheeljack

Honda s2000:
    1. Windcharger
    2. Decepticharge

Acura RSX:
    1. Prowl

Scion xB:
    1. Skids

Dodge Ram:
    1. Optimus Prime
    2. Nemesis Prime

Ford GT:
    1. Mirage

Honda Civic:
    1. Rumble

So after looking at this list (yes, I was that bored) I'm thinking we're probably gonna see a lot more remolds/repaints in the near future... Of course most would say that's a no brainer, but consider this: Hasbro has planned the re-release of Tracks and Meister already and MAYBE Wheeljack or Grimlock... What that says to me is they're even stretching the releases of remolds/repaints... Hopefully after Meister there won't be any re-releases (except for Swerve, but that's for personal reasons) and they will concentrate on putting out new stuff be it repaints, remolds, or new molds...

And with the past two repaints released, we now know Hasbro will dish out no-effort, straight up repaints to cover costs, which is perfectly fine in my book as long as it keeps the line alive... So we're probably not going to see the end of Rollbar/Ricochet-like efforts... I just hope it ends with three figures per mold like the current trend we're seeing with the WRX, Jeep, Viper, and Corvette molds and not put out a FOURTH per mold... At this rate, we're probably gonna see something like 2-3 new molds per year, judging on the current pace...

Some of you may have thought of all this already and to that, I apologize for you reading all of this... But I thought it would be an interesting discussion of the current status of the ALT line... :thumbs2: 

4. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Total lack of distribution. Never saw anything beyond Meister in stores here. Now the line is an 'on-line only' exclusive.

5. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Honestly, I've never liked the size. They are just too big, and clumsy in a way, for me to keep buying and toying with. If they had been deluxe size, I would definitely own them all.

6. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As much as the repaints are getting annoying, it's the lack of Decepticons that bothers me most. Right now for alts it's 15-5. (Not counting Prime of course.) I don't need even faction numbers, but when they're giving us a 3rd version of a mold at least one should be a bad guy! (Yes I'm looking at you Ricochet!) And when some bots get repainted as Autobots and not again as cons (Grimmy/Wheeljack). Now I know there aren't a lot of car-mode cons to choose from, but only 3 of the 5 were cars to begin with.

When D-charge came out, the numbers were fine. 9 bots, 5 cons. Good enough ration. And then we got 6 more autobots. In a row. And with the next 3 we know about, that'll bring it up to 17-6. How outnumbered are the bad guys going to be?

7. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me it's the wonky repaints. I understand the need for them to do straight up repaints with no retooling if they are indeed going this very costly line alone now, but I simply wish they would put just a little bit more effort into them. Ricochet was okay, but Rollbar just seemed to be a one-to-one color swap with Swindle.

However, I did get them and they aren't as bad as some complain about them being and considering that we've gone a little over two years with this line and we are just now getting straight repaints makes me very happy. Hopefully a little more thought will be put into the future straight up repaints, but what I really want to see is the remoulds of Prowl and Skids. Also, let us not forget about Nemesis Prime's release.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    dude! i have the same sentiment on deluxes! optimum fiddleabilty and complexity of transformation in relation to size. plus the modest price point.

best size class evah!

9. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

The repaints don't bother me, or even the size, but the distribution is a killer. The only way to get anything after Swindle here is online from (mostly) the US, and then you are talking about doubling the price to get it shipped. That said, its pretty much the same for all TFs across the board here, but its worse for the alts

10. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Repaints is the big one for me. Too much of the same mould out there.

I've only got 4 alternators now, (silverstreak, hound, meister, shockblast), and the only other alternator that I want to get is mirage, because that gt looks so frigging hot. Oh yea, and I wouldn't mind a tracks either, because it's tracks. Blue; Corvette. :)  But that said, my favorite will always be hound because his transformation just rules. He was my most hesitant buy, but he's ended up being the best alternator ever.

11. rfsii

rfsii OCD/BiPoD/ADHD

I. Want. Decepticons.

12. Wheels

Wheels Cammy's Boy Toy

The #1 for my area has to be bad distribution, as I searched all the stores and never found anything past Dead End. :banghead: 

The #2 I must say is bad character associations! :mad 

It would've been better if we didn't get any Decepticons in this line at all. :redface2: 

Make all the Autobots you want, but give them their correct alt modes.
    Prowl should've been a Police Subaru WRX.
    Red Alert should've been Acura RSX.
    Wheeljack should've been Chevrolet Corvette.
    The Dodge Ram should be either Hoist or Trailbreaker.

Who gives a flying flipping flop on what name they need to change it to, just give us the characters we want.
    Examples; Wheeljack to Downshift, I'm down with, cause everybody knows it's Wheeljack. Call Trailbreaker Raggedy Andy for all we care, as long as it looks and acts and quotes like Trailbreaker.

And I don't care how many times they need to use the same molds over and over and over again. Just give us our correct alt moded Autobots!

And as for the Decepticons, screw them! Wait until you have the rights to make them proper.
    Dead End should've been Sunstreaker to begin with.
    And Shockblast? Ravage?! WTF?!

It because of those people who are bitching and crying; "Ohhh we NEED Decepticons!!!! Ohhh we NEED new molds!!! Ohhh why are they STILL using the same old molds!!!", that this line is all screwed up!

I say to all you people to STFU!!! And be paitent!!! :stick:  :Gouki: 

I WANT ALL MY DECEPTICONS TO BE MILITARY OR HUGE BADASS VEHICLES!!!!!

And I WILL wait another 10-20 yrs down the road if it has to take that long to get them. And if they exhausted ALL the Autobots in the mean time and they have nothing left but the Decepticons, and are now forced to make the Decepticons only? Then fine by me, just make them proper!!!

[/RANT MODE OFF]

13. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    1) They've gotten lazy with the repaints. I'm not expecting anything major in temrs of change, but they could easily have given Ricochet an STI spolier like on Alert. As for Rollbar, they didn't even bother changing the color of the head.

2) Nowhere near enough Decepticons. Although if current rumors are true, there will be at least annother three before the year is out.,

14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Agree completely!! I hesitate to buy anything bigger because $20 goes a long way on my budget, and I just don't feel like basics should cost more than $5. Deluxes are the only size class that I will grab without a second thought if the figure looks cool. Good toy size and playability for the money.

15. useless

useless Completely Unreasonable TFW2005 Supporter

With me its a mixture:

the main one is not enough Decepticons.. and adtionally the fact that none of the molds are really designed to be Decepticons most of those that were have got have seemed bland and Generic (the only one that really works and is destinctive IMO is Shockbalst/wave)

Another is lack of variety, this is in fact pretty much a consequence of the concept: Licensed 1:24 scale cars can only have so much variety... but really 8 Sports cars of one kind of another as contrasted to one 1 4x4, 1 Truck and 1 small car is not the greatest variety of vehicles you could imagine and none of the are really inconspicous "everyday" cars either....

I'd also prefer them a bit more if they were size somewhat smaller, but that's a minor concern really

IMO actaully Alternators was a cool concept but one that has now more or less run its course, I'd prefer if Hasbro focused on a new line of collector oriented Transformers. Smaller, with similar external details (though less internal ones) but with more variety in size and scope of alt modes. They could do a lot worse than Taking the RID car Brothers as a conceptual base and producing similarly sized, articulated and detailed fiugres with somewhat less complicated transformations.

16. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What rumors? The only upcoming stuff I know of is Prime, Mirage, and Rumble.

17. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

From Razerwire's list, it looks to me like each mold's 3 repaints will usually be one
    popular Autobot, one popular Decepticon, and one completely off-the-wallbot.
    This last category would include Rollbar, Swerve, Ricochet, and Decepticharge.
    By the time these weird recolors are done, the tooling may well be paid for, and
    the recolor weirdness may be an attempt to expand the Alt market beyond the
    premovie G1 fans -- there must be some weirdos out there who collect TFs named
    'Swerve'....:) 

18. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

For me it is distribution...after windcharger alternators became impossible to find, that was when wal-mart backed out. Then it was only one target and one tru in my area stocking them. Target was "ok" however the TRU hardly restocks TFs at all. I bought just about every alternator from shockblast and wheeljack on up until the new bubles guys online because they just never showed up in stores here. Now I have been able to find them pretty easily.

This line was only supposed to last like what, a year originally? I think anything we got after that is just good gravy. I do think they should consider ending it before they completely kill it.

19. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    None of the above.

I'd like to see more variety in the types of cars and trucks used. Specifically, more everyday, run-of-the-mill cars, trucks/utility vehicles.

*prays for more Jeep-brand vehicles*

20. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

No real turn offs for me. I've been able to find every alt with out really having to search (although in the first months of the line I did search a lot but just for the new ones). Distributions been ok in my area as the only one I ever had to go "out of the way" to get was Swerve but he was at a place i go to every couple of months anyway. I also found 3 Tracks when people said he couldn't be found (and I don't believe a single one has sold in the new packaging in my area).

The repaints don't bother me and the naming association I could care less about since I'm just a casual fan and Alts are the only line I intend to complete. I don't even open the straight repaints as I know everything its going to be.

Also I think people need to pay better attention to waves as well. I knew Swerve was one per case for a single wave and made it a point to find him. I knew Prowl was only going to be in the first wave of the new boxes (as I missed him in the older boxes) and made it a point to get him before Skids and Streaker as well.

The only two I can say were rare in my general area were Shockblast and Wheeljack and just yesterday a TRU a bit out of my ways had all the recent waves as well as a the Shockblast/Wheeljack/Ravage red boxed wave.

I guess I'm just lucky in my area.