American Pickers.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Doug, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like this show on The History Channel about a couple of guys from Iowa travels around the country to find old stuff and antiques.

Some of the episodes I've seen where an old man has antiques stored in his barn or shed and he doesn't want to sell some of it. Now if he is planning to pass along the antiques to somebody else after he dies, then I would understand. But I say sell it, if he has nobody to leave it to.

2. David

David . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When I go around places I feel like these guys. Trying to find the next great deal. Sometimes I have to shoot myself in the foot just to break ice on a deal. One of the best new shows on cable.

3. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anytime if I'm in a small town, I always like going inside their antique stores. Last year, I visited Scottsboro, AL and I went to a couple of antique stores. One of the stores had three things I should have bought, but I did'nt. Now I regret it.

10 years ago, I was in Dothan, AL and I stopped at a antique store and they had alot of nice old stuff. But they were expensive. But there was a 17 yr-old girl working there and her mother owned the place. She asked me four times if I needed any help. I guess she was watching me for fearing I was going to steal something. But later on I was told an old lady owned the store and she died. Her daughter took over the store and hiked up the prices.

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    My wife and I watch it. We're not "pickers", but my dad is. We're more like the "Junkin'" hosts from the TBS show -- we like flea markets and thrift stores. I do like to browse in antique stores though - for the vintage toys mostly.

Our guest bedroom in our home is furnished with antiques, but we haven't gotten anything "new" for it in a long while.

5. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

I enjoy this show, plus Pawn Stars.

Both shows start new seasons Monday.

6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I never really got into this show. I watched Pawn Stars first, and never felt American Pickers never was as good as it.

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love Pawn Stars, but the American Pickers never interested me. All the stuff on there looks like it is rusted solid and had animals living in it if it is a large vehicle. Pawn Stars get a few of those now and then, but at least there we see it fully restored in the end..

8. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

The Old Man rules.

[​IMG]

9. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yea Pawn Stars is better

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I like American Pickers, as well as Pawn Stars. Both shows are interesting to watch, if only to see some really neat stuff and learn how much money a certain item can bring up.

But of the two series, I definitely enjoy Pawn Stars the most. The Old Man is such a riot, and Chumley is so freaking hilarious at times.

11. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    I agree - the Old Man is a badass!

12. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Love the Old Man and Chumley. So much fun with that show.

Old Man send Chumley to get an item from his home, Chumley goes and goofs off when he gets there and makes a sandwich.

Rick give Chumley a ball and chain to put in a glass case. Chum sets it on the top glass and it smashes through into the display case.. :lol 

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think the guys on Pawn Stars have never worked a day in their life- at least not a real job like The Old Man has- and actually doing something might be dangerous.

i laugh when i watch that show- i keep hearing Quint (Jaws) talking about Hooper having 'city hands" been counting money all his life.

on topic, i like Pawn Stars a bit more than American Pickers and i think it is because the Pickers are somewhat annoying. I love the idea of digging through spider webs and decades of dirt for treasure, just not by those 2 guys.

I will stick with Antiques Roadshow for a little longer.

14. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the episode where Corey paid $37,000 for that hot-air ballon and his dad Rick got pissed off and told him to get out of the store and get the money back.

The very first episode I've seen of American Pickers. I was surprised they have that gothic chick working for them finding places that has old stuff stored.

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Woah, this turned into the Pawn Stars thread. I like both.

16. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I like American Pickers. Sure Pawn Stars is better, but that doesn't mean pickers isn't good.
    AP is interesting to watch cause of all the different places these guys go. Did anyone see the episode with the old guy, Ronald I think it was, who built his own underground fort? lol That was trippy.

17. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The one thing I've noticed about American Pickers. They mention which state they're in, but never mention what town they are visiting.

Last Monday night episode, they were somewhere in Florida. The way it looked, seem like the Northwest Florida.

18. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    It's hard for me to watch Pawn Stars because of the nature of pawn shops. I've shopped in and sold/traded with many in my life and the stereotype is fitting and common that they're miserly cheap and will try to cheat you out of fair value for your product.

Rick is even described on the show as a "hustler" and the jerk oozes out of him like sweat. Rick is so typical of pawn shop brokers. They have no problem lying to your face about the estimated value of your product -- sometimes going as far as to devalue legitimate items by calling them fakes, and then make a casual offer for far less than 10% of its' worth. Afterwards, they'll pat themselves on the back for being "clever" and look forward to scamming the next poor schmuck out of his product and selling it at a profit.

I'll grant that the Pawn Stars cast put on an entertaining show, but I know what these guys are like because I've met their type a hundred times over.

I'd like to see what goes on when the cameras aren't running -- to see them show pawn shop brokers for what they really are.

19. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Let's get this thread started again. Keep it on topic. :popcorn 

There's a marathon on today.

Did you know they have expanded their operations and opened a second shop in Nashville, Tennessee?

20. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

They've had new episodes on lately except for the last two weeks which have been repeats.

I'd love to go out hunting with these guys.