Amazon's MP3 download service

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Boardwise, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Amazon's new MP3 Music Download service has managed to sneak out without so much as a fanfare to the UK and US sites providing DRM free songs at varying prices.

Hell I didn't know it was out till someone mentioned it in the pub on Friday, and then forgot about it till I was looking on their page for something.

Browsing through I found the new Kings of Leon album, Only By The Night, for £3, so I thought I'd give it a go and see how it compares to the wonderfully efficient (well in my mind) iTunes

Before you start you need to grab a extra bit of free software from Amazon's site, which is rather painless to get and install.

When you've found what you are looking for it's a simple case of purchasing it from them the same way you'd by the physical CD. You add it to your shopping basket then go to check out (or 1-Click shop)

When bought a separate file is downloaded which is then opened by the Amazon MP3 Downloader and then it goes off and starts your download.

When each song is downloaded it will automatically transfer it to your music program, either iTunes of Windows Media Player and that's pretty much it.

Overall it was pretty painless.
    It's not as simple as iTunes (pick, purchase, downloaded straight to iTunes) but the extra steps don't really get in the way.
    Though there was an annoying balloon notification every time a song was downloaded, however I think that can be turned off.
    I did notice that the download was kinda slow compared to the purchases I've made form iTunes, but that could have been either my net connection or Amazon's server. Still wasn't that long.

It's nice to have DRM free music which means I'd be able to play it on any device and the price was excellent, though not all albums are that cheap.

Still, I think I'll be having a look their store next time I'm getting music and seeing if it's cheaper than iTunes.

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I rarely buy from iTunes Store anymore. I really like Amazon's setup and find it remarkably painless given it dumps into iTunes for me. Also, Amazon has KILLER sales constantly. Entire albums for $2-5, both new releases and classics, on a weekly basis.

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've been using Amazon's service for awhile now. It's easy enough and they're DRM free. What's not to love?

4. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    These are both very good points.

It's weird that there hasn't be any much about it being released from Amazon directly.