Amazing TF Book finds

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by O_Prime05, Apr 11, 2008.

1. O_Prime05

O_Prime05 Katsohiten Prime

I just stopped at my local Books-A-Million here in Wheeling,WV and found two great books. One is the Ultimate Guide to Transformers and the other is The Transformers Classic Volume 1. It's the old 1980's comics with issues 1-17 included. It is over 300 pages and I can't wait to read both books. I'll let everyone know what I think of them once I read them through.

2. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    The Classic TF Volume 1 is a recent reprint by IDW, their July previews seem to show that they plan to attempt this with all the US issues from the old Marvel run, albeit if an issue features a marvel character it has to be reduced to a text based summary with small panel inserts from the actual issue.
    DN

3. O_Prime05

Just finished the Ultimate Guide. It's licensed by Hasbro to be the end-all be-all history of TF. So I know I got my facts straight. It's a great book with details on anything you'd pretty much wanna know about TF. I suggest getting it.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I have the Ultimate guide. It's not as Ultimate as I would like for a book from that time.

5. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Did you get the updated version with stuff like Classics, Alternators, etc.?
    Or just the original one from the 20th anniversary timeys.
    DN

6. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Is that the 80s Marvel reprint that omits Spider-Man's story?

7. red00wolf

red00wolf Insatiable collector

Its really not as informative as u seem to think.
    The tf wiki would be a better source of info.

8. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Consider me very interested in the classic transformers book. as it's apparently much a more hardcore look at g1 to the point that some people here resented the original series because it was'nt like the comics.

Also I like the way comics were drawn and colored during the 80's, a limited palette that sets a tone I've come to like.

I got the complete "rom the spaceknight" comics a few years ago and it is just trippy how much I like the old books compiled effects.

9. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I've looked at the so-called 'Ultimate' guide, and was left disappointed. It's more 'A brief of summary of some Transformers stuff with lots of full color pictures.'

10. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

I picked up this book too, and it's a fun read. It's definitely great for when you're in for an extended stay on the crapper. But it's not even close to "ultimate." It's more or less a couple of pages on each version of the Transformers (up to Classics) and a few blurbs about random episodes of cartoon series or comic book issues. While it's informative, it doesn't constitute a "character bible" or the "end all be all" of Transformers information.

I don't even think, given the current multiple continuities, that there even COULD be an "end all be all" guide to Transformers. Basically any reality goes.

However, if you're looking for a G1 character bible, your best bet would be to get the "More Than Meets the Eye" comic series--which I believe is in trade paperback now.

RE: Marvel Transformers...Spider-Man and Death's Head are pretty much going to be cut out of those, right? And does that include Circuit Breaker and the like, since they are Marvel original characters? Best to visit the comic shop and pay a few more bucks for some back issues. Marvel was more faithful and in depth with the original G1 line, mostly because Bob Budiansky was the writer of most of the original toy tech specs and knew what the heck he was talking about, even if he couldn't write dialogue to save his life.

11. O_Prime05

Well for me it really helps with my knowledge of Transformers. I really didn't know much except the 2 movies and comics. So this book is a really great find for me. And it's the updated version.

And the comics do omit Spidey because of licensing issues.

12. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Banned

O_Prime05, your Collection Count makes me weep. Quick, go buy a figure! ;) 

13. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Although I always have many bad things to say about the Ultimate Guide, I DO always say that it's probably the best "crash-course" in Transformers that you can get. O_Prime's exactly the sort of person that the book is made for, and it does this particular job well.

14. O_Prime05

I know but I just can't see myself, being a poor college student and all, spending 10 bucks on a TF figure. As much as I love TF I really don't have a place to put my collection if I started one. Once I start making more money and have a place of my own (i currently live with my gf and her parents), I'll start my TF collection. Until then, I'll collect comics and books of TF.

15. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

Yeah, good call. The GF's parents aren't going to look too kindly on the fact that you're still living with them while you bring home new Transformers. Good call on getting your situation straight first. When you get out of college, have at it!

16. O_Prime05

Well here parents know I'm a big geek and so does she. I've got Superman everything and tons of comic books. It's just our room doesn't have any shelves or anything to put them on lol.

17. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    The problem with the Ultimate Guide was that it dealt primarily with the now-defunct Dreamwave continuity, so some of the stuff in there only applies to Dreamwave. Another problem was Simon Furman, great as he is, didn't have much to do with the Dreamwave continuity other than the War Within, so he was kind of constrained in the writing.

Once you guys are ready to delve into more detailed stuff, come visit the Teletraan I, the Transformers Wiki.

18. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Banned

Seconded - best website ever.

19. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Banned

Fair enough fella. Always makes me chuckle when people half my age are more sensible and mature than I am... :) 

Go on, get a Legend Class figure (what's that, $5?) and carry it around in your pocket ;)