Amazing Spidey #531 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Primevil, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    So let's see.... Spidey fights the Titanium Man, who was secretly hired by Tony Stark to attack Tony Stark. ...heh heh... "Say 'Moose and Squirrel'."

Peter, as Spidey, spoke out against the Superhero Registration Act at the hearing, but his comments were stricken from the record because he wouldn't remove his mask and reveal his identity to testify.

And the issue ends with an almost-gratutitous MJ shower scene and Peter falling asleep in front of the TV as the news of the incident in Stamford breaks.

Speaking of which, SPEEDBALL LIVES! The reporter says, and I quote:

"According to authorities on the scene, the person responsible for all this devastation is... Is this right? Who or what is Speedball?"

Which begs the question: why am I so glad that Speedball survives when I've never read a single comic featuring him? Maybe it's because I love his unique powers.

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Gonna have to pick that one up when I get a chance

3. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Probably a subconscious urge to stick it to Quesada.

4. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

Man I don't know what I'd do it the world found out that Spider-man was Peter Parker.

5. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Yeah, I wanna punch him in the face after that Spider-Man interveiw with him and JMS in the latest Wizard.

6. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still have my Speedball #1 issue I bought when I was a kid. I found him so cool then...now, not so much.

7. Liokaiser_bf

Liokaiser_bf Kaiju-bot

Liked Speedball in New Warriors. So I was partially right as to why I see pics of Namor beating the snot out of Iron Man in that freebie sketchbook.

Man though this ish sounds worth picking up though. I just hate coming back in the middle of a big storyline.

8. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Good issue all around, and the ending with T-Man didn't surprise me one bit. Granted, the writing hints at it pretty big, but still.

The one thing, the ONLY thing, that's bothering me about Civil War right now is that we've got two conflicting stories of whose side Tony is on; ASM says anti-registration, but Illuminati says pro. However, given what Tony says in the end of the issue with Peter...I wouldn't be surprised if what he said in Illuminati wasn't his real position.

Really liked this storyline, though.

9. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    I think it's more the opposite. I think Tony IS lying to Peter. Hence the "..." trail off, followed by Tony meeting with T-Man, after telling Peter if he did set up the atttack, he'd tell him.
    I think the duel sides of Tony are going to come to a head when he reveals to Peter that he is for the act. Then with Peter trusting Tony, he'll follow him into battle with the other heroes, even though he doesn't fully support the act.

10. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Tony has already guessed what's comming and we're seeing him prepare for the storm so to speak. He does support the act, but by trying to stop it here and now anyway, that'll probably say something to the other heroes who would want to keep their identities secret. Perhaps making them more inclined to join his side. The whole stunt with Titanium Man looked like it was meant to prove a point in favor of the act. A person with a secret identity can't be sworn in to give evidence and testimony as we saw. It also showed how well an experienced super hero can deal with a super powered threat.

11. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I thought Tony was for whatever will cause the least bloodshed in the long term. He supports the act, but was willing to go against it after seeing the reaction of the otehr Illuminati members, becasue no act means no war if people don't agree. But after his lieing in this issue I think he is playing Peter. I also loved the cover. Very poetic. Cap is in costume symbolizing his beleif in anonymity, Tony is out of costume showing that he supports the CoH style hero model of the act. Peter is in between them with his mask half off, showing that he will be split on the issue between his loyalty and his heart.

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Wow, what did he say to get that kind of reaction? I've been a little pissed about the possible death of Speedbal but that's it.

13. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it has something to do with Quesada not liking the idea of Spider-Man being married.

14. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Reading it again...it's almost as if Tony KNOWS that he needs to play the "villian" of Civil War (akin to Lincoln) in order to ensure the most harmonious future for the heroes and the nation. Don't forget, he's a futurist; he thinks out his moves to the endgame.

Very, very interesting...can't wait for CW #1 next week!

15. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Yup.

WIZARD: What's the biggest problem with Spider-Man right now?

JOE Q: That's he's married! Spidey needs to be a single teenager! That's what makes him work! It's wrong that he's married! WRRROOOOONNNGGG!!!

That's what it boiled down to, and it just bugs me. What makes Spidey great is that he's the Everyman. And guess what? the Everyman grows up. The Everyman gets married. It is a bit unrealistic that the Everyman married a super-model, I'll give you that, but not that he's married period. I like MJ and their have been some great stories about their marriage. If you want Teen Peter, that's what Ultimate Spidey is for.

Anywho, as for the issue, it was very enjoyable and a great set up for Civil War. Never been too much of an Iron Man fan, but Tony has been fasicinating the hell out of me both here and the Illuminati Special.

And the "Moose and Squerial" line was just classic.

(Oh, and it was apparently Joe Q's idea that Norman be the father of Gwen's twins.)

16. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

If Joe Q really tried to destroy the whole marriage thing in the Spidey universe of 616 half the writers might just walk off to the competitors... Of course that's a wierd personal opinion of mind, but come on; Spider-Man WAS a teenager for more then twenty years, if I'm not mistaken... He needed to grow up and get married; being married doesn't take away from the character it gives more to him, and if they handled it better they'd probably feel better about it, but since they don't actually do much about it well is it any wonder Joe Q doesn't LIKE it?

That man sounds like he's turning into another Berman (Or whoever's in charge of Star Trek still.); he can't get to do the things he wants to all because of something that's been pre-established for a long time and thus if changed would completely destroy the current fan base of the Spider-Man comics... If they seriously did away with Mary Jane; do you know how fast sales would drop on the books? No one would hold any respect any more for the creative teams; that's for sure. (At least that's what I think could happen, who knows, we saps might just eat it up anyway all for the sake of having something to read.)

Anyway enough of the rant mode... I hadn't been planning on getting this stuff, but I just decided to get it anyway; and honestly it looks really good, I really felt like slugging that Senator for all his bullsh****g... Even in the comics; some politicians don't know squat and only serve their own predictably pathetic ambitions of power brokering and the like. But maybe that's because I read his backtalk to Spider-Man as being all smug and condescending, I mean if it wasn't for Spidey and guys like him half the politicians in Washington would probably get the axe lethal-like because of all the super powered psychos that are running around.

17. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    That is pretty retarded. Why does everybody think a superhero can't be married unless it's to another hero? I know DC got really bad about that. With the obvious exception of Lois Lane, most of the normal wives and girlfriends of heroes die. It gets old after awhile.

18. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

How do you get "Speedball lives" out of this? They just said he was reponsible, not that he actually survives.

19. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    One of the upcoming Civil War tie-ins, either Frontline or Daily Bugle (one of the newspaper-based books), says that the lone survivor of the New Warriors is arrested and held responsible for the disaster. I'm pretty sure if the news is blaming him, then he's the one that survived.