amazing spiderman 539 BACK IN BLACK (le spoiler)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lumpy, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    so, i read this (last week) and it was pretty cool...spiderman throws a truck...that was awesome...ive been thinking about it, and talking to a friend about how spiderman really should be one of the strongest superheroes in the marvel universe. and that moment really showed his true potential spilling through.

anyway, the only thing that bugged me was what he said to MJ about aunt may....he said use her maiden name, fitzgerald.....i thought her maiden name was reilly, (hence where ben reilly got his name)

overall, i dug this episode. spidermans going a little nutty, and this could turn out to be a big deal....i really kinda want aunt may to kick it though, and stay dead this time....that would just piss of spiderman more and make him even cooler, IMO....

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I can think, right offhand, of several Marvel heroes who are physically stronger than Spider-Man. Thor, the Hulk, the Thing, She-Hulk, Colossus, Goliath, Sunspot, M, Guido, etc. Spidey's strong, but he's far from the strongest hero in the MU.

Yes, it is Reilly. That's a major mistake on the editor's part.

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Damn you Marvel!

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The entire issue was very intense and cool. The truck through the window was badass. Something I found strange was that Peter was ok with sending Mary Jane to the hospital without a disguise. Shouildn't everyone there be recognizing her? The scenes where Peter gets back the Black costume from atop the building was also very cool.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Well, to me, Spider-man is not supposed to be a gritty, intense, fly off the handle type of hero -but that's my opinion.

However, the fact that the writer and the editor had no idea what Aunt May's maiden name was, even though the most controversial Spider-man character ever, Ben Reilly, used that name shows me that the main Marvel books are a pale shadow of what they used to be.

This to me just shows how they have lost touch with the character.

6. Lumpy

News Credits:
    yeah, the last scene was really cool....and people may not recognize may...she wasnt on tv...someone would have to know them already...like maybe a villian who knows or something...he could find out....and maybe the fitzgerald thing is something new, but yeah, it seems way stupid on their part....

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Actually Spiderman is very strong. He once held up the entire Daily Bugle building in the gathering of 5 story.

So yea, he can throw a truck.

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I'm not saying he isn't strong, just that there are far stronger people in the Marvel Universe.

9. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:

From the stories I've been reading(then putting back on the shelf) Marvel has NO editors. It just keeps getting worse and worse. They are so obsessed with their next major crossover event they don't even pay attention to the plot or stories in their own books anymore.

10. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Yeah, you'd think between being something of a celebrity before all this madness and then all the added hype due to being the wife of a super hero/criminal, you'd think she'd be recongized instantly.

Now that you mention it, I think they should do a story about MJ dealing with all the extra attention she'd be getting. Not just villians coming after her, but being offered movie deals and the like.

As for the issue, haven't read it yet. Hoping it's still there when I make it to the comic shop.

11. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Actually, they probably haven't. May's maiden name changing is probably just a result of Wanda's screwiness in House of M.

;) 

12. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

My only problem with the issue (aside from May's maiden name) was the costume. I thought webbing dissolved over an hour or so. But he had the black costume webbed underneath a building ledge for years? The fuck?

I'm still not a fan of JMS, and those two blunders were big (do some research! sure the editors should have noticed it as well, but no need for everyone to be lazy)

13. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

I think they also kinda screwed up the reason why Peter got rid of the black costume. In this issue he says he thought it sent the wrong message. I remember it as MJ telling him that costume reminded her of Venom (once he showed up) so he stopped wearing it for that reason.

Meh, despite the problems this issue might have I've always loved the black costume. It's good to see Spidey back in black.

14. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

maybe his "Organic" webbing lasts longer.

15. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yup, they had a LOT of bad errors in that issue. But, what can you expect these days from the folks at Marvel? They've got thousands of universes that they're trying to keep check of, they're making a bunch of movies that change many of the details of their characters for the sake of attracting a wider audience, (or change just for no reason) and they tie their writer's hands by letting the characters they're writing get all screwed up by crossover events with little or no input from said writers.

Marvel is a mess folks. Get use to it. Now that they can offset lagging sales with movies and merchandising, they don't have to keep their house in order in order to make money. So out the door goes quallity in favor of quantity.

16. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Given how long it has been since we've last seen this costume, I'm thinking he hid it long before he had his "organic" webbing. I just assume Peter made a special batch of his "home made" webbing that could last for years rather than only an hour. However, I'd agree this is probably yet another mistake this issue made.

17. Lumpy

News Credits:
    i agree with you too, but what i was trying to imply is that spiderman should be more powerful. every other character seems to have evolved so much over the years, but spiderman is still the same power level...and spiders are freaking strong.....my friend and i had this big huge drawn out thing showing him using his power (it would be our ending to WWH if we worked at marvel) and it was just awesome, cuz he really should be stronger....and i didnt even think about the webbing part...that seems like a big flaw too....but maybe it was a different batch of stuff that made it stick around for so long....

18. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Magic origin, spider-totem.
    Organic webshooters. Stingers? Spiders have stingers?
    Being changed into a Spider-Monster 13 times.
    Couldn't he "hear" insects for a time, too?

A whole universe changed and rebuilt because now Wanda Maximoff can somehow now alter the entire universe? She used to have to concentrate to affect the trajectory of bullets and now she can just rebuild all God's work with a thought?

Editors who don't appear to care about anything but crossover titles.
    Why did he get rid of the black costume? Who cares? No one reads the old stuff.

I think it is time for a Crisis on Infinite Marvel Earths.

At least Ultimate Spider-man is still on the right track.

19. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Would you wish death upon any family member you hated no matter what they did to you?

20. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Actually, a couple years ago, I went to a lecture about spiders given by an expert. When the floor was opened for questions, me being the geek that I am, asked how realistic Spider-Man's powers were.

I was told flat out that he would not have super strength as spiders aren't that strong. They also have terrible eye-sight.