Amazing Spider-Man Movie Game

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So, got this from Gamefly yesterday. So far, it's not too bad. The open world swinging is easily the highlight. Feels like someone finally got that swinging around a huge open space was the best part of most Spider-Man games and allowed that to be a major part of the game.

The rest of the gameplay is ok at best. The game clearly tried to match the formula of the Arkham games, especially when it comes to combat. It's not quite as natural feeling or smooth, but it will suffice. One button for attack, another for dodge, another for web attacks, etc. Though it's nice that you can climb just about any surface.

The graphics are kind of a mixed bag. The character models for Spidey, the robots and the monsters are all pretty nice. Really great texture work on the Spider-Man suit. But the other character models aren't nearly as nice and the environments and city are very bland looking.

Also, beware. The first 25 minutes of this game completely spill the beans about what happens in the film. Spoilers come fast and furious and without any sort of warning. For a game that takes place after the movie, and makes no apologies for casually spoiling it, coming out a full week prior is kind of a dick move.

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I've read mixed reviews on this.
    Some praise the 'Arkham like' formula, others condemn it.

You just confirmed what I had been thinking all along by looking at the screenshots.
    Spider-man looks fantastic, but some of the other models looked like they came from another game.

I certainly hope the camera isn't plagued by the same issues that have plagued nearly every Spider-man game since the Playstation.
    No developer has ever really gotten that right.

3. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    This.

I remember being quite frustrated at the camera in the monster ock level.

How is the the camera in this game?

4. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Reminds me too much of Arkham. I'll consider getting it.

EDIT:
    Holy crap, is Captain Stacy actually dead?

5. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The camera kinda sucks in the game. It's way too "tight" in and during boss battles it leaves you fighting it to aim where you need to as it swings around wildly trying to look dramatic.

6. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    yeah the reviews seem to be "its not amazing but its pretty neat"

id like to give it a swing [HAH] but im waitin for the movie

7. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I will say this, whomever wrote the dialogue for the game did a pretty fine job. The quips from Spidey are surprisingly funny and they keep coming. Plus the story isn't too bad so far. It's a shame, with some polish this would have been something really special. Right now, it's a good game with very visible flaws, which is more than I can say for some of the previous Spider-Man games.

8. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ok, deep into the game now. On the last comic pages to collect. Around 110 more pages to go.

This game is so close to being something truly special. So close. The side missions are way more fun than the main story missions. I also like that there's a ton of side missions between each story mission. I'm trying to play through everything just so I can keep swinging around the city. If they could just do something with the combat to make it more interesting and quit with the tight enclosure main story missions, the game would be much more enjoyable.

9. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, I rented this from Redbox, and I actually had a really fun time with it. Joe Moore captures my thoughts on it perfectly - its a very fun game with some obvious flaws, but they didn't kill my enjoyment of the game. In fact, the first fight with the
    Hunter robots
    was the most fun I've had in a video game in awhile.

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    There is even one out for the iphone and android that reminds me of the old one from the ps2.

11. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I haven't picked up a Spider-Man game since SM2 for the PS2.

I loved the free roaming in NYC...but the tasks got repetitive.

12. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    I think I'm going to rent this game.

13. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Down to about 45 comics pages to go before I have all 500. I really suggest waiting for the night time to search. The glow is so much easier to spot while swinging around.

14. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So, I got to 500 comics and then saw that it jumps up to 700. Raaaggggeeee! Well, last night I finally collected the last one and I have all 700 pages found. Not sure what you unlock for collecting the last 200 though. Going to have to look that up.

15. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Typical movie game syndrome. They're only given a year(more or less)to make the game, and as a result we wind up with either a decent to okay game that lacks polish, such as ASM. Or a total POS.

Wouldn't mind playing ASM though, as it did look fun in the videos I've seen.

16. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    had it rented for a couple nights. didnt get to play through it all like i wanted, but i had to return it cuz i been busy with work and i dont wanna pay for a game i wont have time to play :p 

BUT

that said i thought it was decent.

swinging is kinda fun in that it looks cool. but all you really have to do is just hold the trigger down and the rest is auto-pilot. i kinda miss the skill needed in timing swings right to get it goin good. this just seems much to easy. but like i said, it does look neat

and in regards to combat. ehhh.... they were tryin real hard to get the arkham system down but i found it hard as heck to counter. its not as forgivable as Arkham is making me miss lots of counters and dying and then me getting frustrated. The moves he does all look awesome and acrobatic [and i like the signature move option!] but countering is where it killed it for me. id miss it by half a tick and get bonked, then when im stumbling around id get bonked again, and again. and unless i somehow manage to web escape or web rush outta there im pretty much done for.

it wanted to be arkham so bad and it was so close, but that nixed it for me

BUT

all in all the game seemed pretty decent. and i was diggin the story so far. pretty nifty way of bringing in some of the animal specific villains and it was interesting seeing their redesigns

i'll probly pick it up when it goes on sale. but i dont think its quite worth full price. a little more spit and polish and this game coulda been "amazing"

*edit* just noticed i said "but" in all caps twice. hah. xD

17. Metal Chaos

Metal Chaos The Spark of Chaos

News Credits:
    I'm wanting to get this game as I'm a huge spider-man fan, but only after I've seen the movie. Watching the gameplay videos on youtube I'm a bit saddened that the devs were so lazy that they let spider-man swing on thin air, reminds me of the first game for the Raimi trilogy.

I'm really hoping they release a patch for the game that makes you swing only from buildings and not from invisible anchor points like it is now. I'd also like to be able to shoot out big webs between gaps and land on them, as spiderman has done in the comics/cartoons, no real purpose served but would just look cool.

18. Autobotic9

Autobotic9 Well-Known Member

If they didn't have cloud swinging, than Spidey would not be able to clear any buildings. The only reason developers were able to pull of Spidey having to swing from a building in the past was because he could double jump twice in mid air to clear buildings. I would rather have him swing from some clouds than be able to jump without any jumpable surface.

19. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ok, beat the story mode, finished all the side missions, did all the Xtreme challenges, rescued all the infected, returned all the patients, collected all the comics, found a few of the hidden costumes. Sent the game back this morning.

20. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dang and I was thinking of picking up this game later this week. Are there any decent Spidey games for the PS3? With classic Spidey villains such as Green Goblin and Venom?