Amazing Spider-Man Annual - Jackpot is...

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by flywheels, Nov 5, 2008.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *SPOILER*
    Dead! Actually she was some chick they made up that shot herself up w/ mutant growth hormones, steroids and other drugs to get her "powers". They build up all this hubbub over the character only to kill her off so soon. Ending did leave it up in the air as to whether or not someone else would take the mantle.

Not a bad issue, just didn't turn out the way I thought it would.

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    It was lame and poorly plotted as much of the issues have been since BND/OMD. Too many editorial mandates.

3. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

....Wait-wait-wait.

She's not Mary Jane. Good. They got that right at least.

But they create all that hype and build up all the mystery, just to kill her off?!

FAIL

4. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Even worse she was a fan of Mary-Jane's.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Lame.
    And also lame.

LOLZ!!!
    :lolol 

6. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ever since the New Ways to Die story, I thought AMS has been really good. The current story w/ Hammerhead is shaping up to be good as well. Now I can't say I was a huge fan of the AMS: Secret Invasion story or a fan of Jackpot, but I don't think Marvel ever had plans to use Alana past getting Jackpot as an established new heroine. I'm sure we'll see more of the character (Sara Ehret) in the near future since it was mentioned that she is the one that actually registered and trained under the SHRA.

7. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

What was interesting to me was when Sara said 'Tiger'. Um hmmmm.

8. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes! I was right! If you haven't picked up this week's Amazing Spider-Man Presents: Jackpot #1 do yourself a favor and pick it up.

Not only does the book have gorgeous art by Andriana Melo (Ms. Marvel), but it's a well written story and in continuity w/ current issues of AMS. I figured Marvel was just trying to test the waters per se or trying to establish a new super heroine w/ the whole ordeal during Secret Invasion. After reading #1 it makes sense what they did. I won't spoil the story in case you want to read it for yourself...but I thought it was rather good. In fact, I can't wait to see how the other 2 issues pan out and I'm hoping Jackpot doesn't slip off into Marvel obscurity once the mini series is over.

[​IMG]

9. Gridlock1987

Gridlock1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't say that I care much about her. With exception of a few stories, BND sucks. It produced IMO a lot of characters who are just pointless one shots that no one could care about, because they have no personality/are irritating at all or are just copy of old ones (Menace, Anti Venom... While they are not as bad as Freak, Screwball or Paper Doll, they aren't too original characters). One of them is Jackpot. First it's this whole build up "omg, is that Mary Jane?!". And for what? Just to kill her, and reveal to us that she was nobody. Brilliant. And now they ask us to care about another one? Just because she's the real one?

I will just stick with ASM... Or even better Ultimate Spider-Man. Shroud, a "new" character in USM is way more interesting than anything they have done in ASM in the past year...

10. Gridlock1987

News Credits:
    Ups, double post. :p 

11. Tekkaman Blade

News Credits:
    Not really a new character, but I'm curious how shroud is able to use their power that way.

12. Gridlock1987

News Credits:
    I know, that's why I used quotation marks on "new". ;)  Now, after reading UCSM #6 (forgot about "C" in my last poste :p ) I'm curious about that too. :)