Amazing Spider-Man #574

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by flywheels, Oct 24, 2008.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Has anyone read this issue yet? It's a flashback issue all about Flash Thompson and where his sense of "doing the right thing" comes from (Spidey of course). It's partially based on the real life events of a U.S. soldier. When I saw the solicitations for this issue a few months ago I didn't think I would care much about the stand alone issue...but boy was I wrong. This was one of the best written stories I've read in some time, and Barry Kitson's art was just beautiful. Highly recommended read, esp. if you have friends or family that are serving in our nation's armed forces.

2. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I liked the story, but I do question the decision to place a major supporting character into such a tale. I made me feel that it wasn't as significant of a story knowing that the entire thing could be undone in a couple of years whenever it suited the writers.

3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It has more meaning when it is a character you know and care about. If it was just anyone, people won't care as much.

I haven't kept up with Spidey recently, but was Flash really in it that much to matter? I know he plays a big role in Peter's high school years but since then, he hasn't had much of an impact.

Writers might keep it. Batman writers have kept Batgirl crippled for well over a decade without fixing her. I'm sure Flash will get prothetics though so he won't be going around wiht 1/2 legs all the time.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Last we heard from flash he had brain damage and had reverted back to his highschool persona. Though I think he may have gotten over that, I stopped buying shortly before the iron-spidey debacle (I saw the writing on the wall) I read most of the issues though. This was the best issue since OMD/BND started and spider-man wasn't even really in it. Sad really.

5. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't say it's the best issue since OMD as I thought the New Ways to Die story was great...but this was the best ASM issue w/o SM in it!