Amazing Oppurtunity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alphie, Jul 16, 2012.

1. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    So, as some of you might know I'm a concert photographer and I also review shows for Examiner.com. Well, Heartfest is coming up here in KC which will be at Worlds of Fun and I managed to get passes for it. Out of a whim I decided to send RED's tour manager an email about possibly doing a five minute interview with the band before the show. I get a response back today. I'm not getting five minutes but FIFTEEN with Anthony the guitarist. HOLY FLIPPING OUT RIGHT NOW! This will be my FIRST ever interview with ANY band and it has to be FIFTEEN MINUTES! Gotta keep it together, but I have NO idea what I'm doing. :lol 

For all of you who don't know RED here is the video for Feed the Machine. Anthony is the guy in the beginning with no shirt.

Red - Feed The Machine - YouTube

Wish me luck and pray that I don't pass out. Going to be one of the hottest days on record, it's outside and I'll be running around for six hours.

2. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Awesome. I'm sure you'll do great!

3. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Like I told you, come up with three or four good conversational questions and just let it go as it will and you will do just fine.

4. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Congrats!
    RED is one of my favorite bands, it's awesome that you got the passes plus the interview.
    Good luck and have fun! It'd be cool to see the interview/shots after it's over. :) 

5. BooyakaDragon

BooyakaDragon I Don't Even Know

News Credits:
    RED is a BOSS Band!! Congrats! Oh, and Good Luck!

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Very cool, congrats! :) 

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Congrats, and what Aaron said.

8. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Thanks guys. :D 

This will be my eighth time seeing RED, the first show that I will actually be doing a review on. Yep, I'm not a fan, not at all. :lol  First time I saw the band back in 2007 they were the first band in a six band line up. Amazing how far the guys have come. If some of you like to see my work here is a site that I REALLY need to update:

http://500px.com/alphiekc

Edit: Also, if anybody has questions I can try and fit them into the interview.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  9. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Ask them which transformer they'd be & why. :D 

10. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well Congrats, that's a nice addition to your portfolio as a concert photographer and a reviewer for shows.

When its over, tell us how it went.

11. TWINTURBO

TWINTURBO Mandiprime97's badass :)

AWESOME, have fun :) 

12. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I'm so happy for you. This is an amazing opportunity. I know you'll do a great job.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The voice of reason - this is it.

Congrats as well :thumb 

14. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Well, everything turned out great though getting there was definitely a challenge and something I won't soon forget.

So, according to the tour manager for RED I was on a will call list so I didn't have to pay for parking. We drive up to Worlds of Fun, they don't have me on the list. They tell us to drive down a ways to the other park, Oceans of Fun. We do this, still haven't heard of me. Thankfully, I have the manager's number and began texting him about the situation. Finally after a few minutes we were allowed in. Then we get to the main security. They haven't heard of us either, the tour manager is a bit frustrated at this point since he made sure to put my name down. The security guy has to call down, get hold of the manager so we could park.

You would think this would end the trouble, nope far from it. The tour manager told me to meet him by the stage, so I traverse down this steep hill only to not find him. I was told to go back UP the hill to talk to someone. Mind you the temperature is triple digits and there is NO shade. I get up there only to get a text from him saying he is by the stage now. Super. Go back DOWN the hill and for the interview.

That is when I learned that Anthony was busy and I had to interview his twin, Randy. Thankfully they are twins so most of my questions fit with either of them but it definitely threw a wrench in things. And to make things even better, the train that goes through the park decided to do so mid-way through the interview. When he saw Randy and I he pulled the horn. Thanks.

Well, interview pretty much went without a hitch and my friend and I go grab seats. Before the tour manager leaves I ask him about the tickets and photo passes. In response I get a really confused look then a deep sigh. So, there was no passes for me or my friend. He had to let security know that we were with him.

Oh, things just get better from there. (note sarcasm) Manage to take pictures of the first band with my camera before it just died. Yep, it no worky no more. Thankfully my friend let me borrow his and I was good to go.

Did I say it was triple digits? You would think they would offer free water, but nope they suspect people to share ONE water fountain all the way at the TOP of the hill. So, I made a friend with the local event staff who was there taking photos and managed to get some free water through them.

After all those hiccups the show went smoothly. Red was AMAZING but best of all I got to FINALLY take pictures of Skillet. It has been a dream of mine to get pics of the band so I was really happy that I got a chance to.

Now, I have to transcribe audio from a voice recorder that picked up EVERYTHING with a man who is VERY soft spoken and takes a bit to get talking. Over 1500 photos to go through and an article to write by Wednesday. :banghead:  Wish me luck. :lol 

15. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    All I have to say to that is" All's well, that ends well!

I'm glad you decided to go. Life is about experiences. And you got to fulfill one of your dreams. Go, Kristen! :D 

16. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 Heart Like a Hand Grenade

News Credits:
    At least you had fun!

17. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
  18. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Most Awesome!!! So proud of you!!!! Congats!

19. Omega Charge

Omega Charge Prepare for trouble...

News Credits:
    Nice pics and the interview was a nice read. :) 

Weather sounds harsh but it looks like you did great, and I'm glad you got the experience and the chance to see both RED and Skillet, two killer bands.

Congrats again!

20. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

You did a wonderful job on the article and interview. The pictures were awesome also. Great job. I'm proud of you and your work.