Amazing detail in CG images

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by buickanddeere, Feb 18, 2009.

1. buickanddeere

buickanddeere Well-Known Member

Amazing detail in the CG. Just looking at the Terrex 400 excavator in bicycle mode just before it whacks the overpass.
    They even show the freeway sagging and cracking under the weight of the wheels.
    The excavator is detailed right down to the hydraulic hoses attached to the hydraulic rams/hydraulic cylinders.
    It even appears Prime got at least a punch into the excavator as well. Just after Prime's leap takes him to the left side of the excavator. You can observe the detail showing one of the eye's are now a different colour and the face is rumpled.

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Have been going back and watching the behind the scenes stuff from the first movie again.
    Still impressed with their obsession for detail and realism they work with in every frame, and that's going to seem like practice compared to the work they put in this one.

Im becoming more and more a fan of Megatron just from gawking so much at all his detailing from the first movie. Especially the scene where he fires his huge cannon at Prime, watching all the little pistons and stuff slide out and pop up on his arm in slo mo. Seems like Im still noticing something new everytime I see it.

I feel ya man, im also pretty pumped

3. Faded-Myth

Faded-Myth Oddbot

I'm a 3D environment modeler, so I'm partial to environment design and effects myself. And yeah, I was happy with the work on the bridge and the like too. Sometimes animations of rocks and stone things falling look decidedly fake, or the physics isn't quite there. (I'm guessing in this case it's a combination of hand animation and natural physics).

I kind of wish when his hand brushes against the building at the very end of the trailer it didn't look like he was just gliding across it though. There's something about that little bit that bugs me but everything else is just candy.

I mentioned it before somewhere, but I like hte little blue shard of metal that gets stuck in Megatron after Prime gets smashed in the face. Stuff like that is always nice.

4. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    They definitely care about what they do. If you compare the teaser trailer with the new full trailer, they've already touched up the part where Prime gets kicked in the head, and it looks so much better.

5. ashion

ashion Well-Known Member

Its the detail that makes them so real and believeable. I seriously couldn't believe my eyes the first time i saw the first movie. I had never seen anything CG look so real and perfectly in place within the real environments.

All those lovingly/painstaking added extra little details is what makes scenes and characters work. I'm learning animation for both 2D and 3D and have already had it drilled into me that little motion quirks (especially with 3D) and the like help make the characters more real.
    I like how each bot has their own way of moving when they are just standing or talking, their never static.

*bows down to ILM and Digital Domain*

6. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    Sorta related

I find it hilarious that one of these big wooden splinters is about to spear Sam's dad in the chest

Attached Files:

7. JDF

JDF Well-Known Member

I can't believe what is even possible nowadays. Its absolutely staggering.

Even this shot of Bumblebee has INSANE amounts of detail in it. Truly amazing:

[​IMG]

8. Number1sikko

Number1sikko Autobot

News Credits:
    They have really come a long way with technology. Just imagine how cool Transformers 3 is going to look 2 or 3 years from now when transformers 2 looks amazing. I'd go as far to say maybe even more real looking then the humans. lol

9. Hydrobot

Hydrobot Super Ginrai!

I can just picture that scene now.....

*bumblebee rolls in to save Sam's dad*

Sam's dad: "Can you PLEASE stay off my grass?!"

:) 

10. Crombiecron

Crombiecron Planet Muncher

i have that exact shot as my desktop on my laptop, the detail is insane, the entire agrden is reflected in his helmet.

when the first film came out my brother satrted freakign out saying it was all a conspiracy and that bumblebee and ironhide actually exist an this movie is a coverup to make you think they are just made up.

coming summer 2010.... Die hard 5 starring Ironhide as John mclane

11. Tr4nce

Tr4nce TrancEaddict

News Credits:
    Nice thread. I personally liked the fact that you could see some wires hanging from Jetfire's armor on his armor. So awesome. It's not so clear in this shot though.

[​IMG]

12. Thundercrackah

Thundercrackah Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Works for me! :thumbs2: 

As for the CG, it's fantastic, just like it was in the first movie.
    The work on the robots is astounding, it's utter eye candy.

13. Agonize

Agonize Decepticon

2007 looked AWESOME but Bumblebee's detail looks even better than before.

In 2007 I sometimes had the feeling I was looking at CGI created robots. Now, when I take a look at that HD screencapture, it feels real, but its not.

Awesome work, again, by ILM :) 

14. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:

actually, reflections like that are probably one of the easiest things to accomplish in CG

15. Crombiecron

Crombiecron Planet Muncher

really? i did not know this lol, one thing that bugs me though in the first movie when prime an bonecrusher fall off the bridge an the car swerves to stop, they aint reflected in the door when they should be

guess they will fix that kind of thing this time thoguh :) 

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Realistic ones in a real world environment, however, aren't.

17. Agonize

Agonize Decepticon

For the people who say its easy to lay a "reflection" on a CGI creation, please, reconsider what you just said.

It's not easy at ALL! The enviroment requires different lightning angles, if there is no lightning its easy. However, and do this one with me gentlemen.

Stretch your arm underneath a light source, now, move your hand in every direction that is humanly possible and WATCH how the light changes everytime. Now, think about the CGI Bumblebee, yes, thats it! Now, still think its easy?

Oh! Bigger picture time![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Erker

Erker Member

Bumblebee indeed looks great in these shots, but you'll have to remember that they have a life-size Bumblebee at their disposal. Don't know if that has been used for this close-up, but it is a possibility. That doesn't take anything away from the fact that all shots (most cgi) in the trailer look incredible and better than ever, like Optimus's smackdown and Demolisher's transformation.

19. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Yeah, that bugged me too. I felt that the momentum of his arm would have caused it to at least scrape that car park, but it makes it looks as though he was intentionally trying to avoid hitting it.

Bay likes to do things quickly in film making, so the continuity in the first film wasn't great. Though for CG goofs like that they probably were squeezing the penny and using effects shots only when it's absolutely necessary.

That's why Bumblebee disappears when Lennox tries to convince Sam to run off with the Cube (even though Sam and Mikaela are ostensibly chaining him to the tow truck).

And probably why Jazz's car sits there like an asshole when Bumblebee gets his legs shot off :D 

Nah, the Bumblebee prop can't move by itself, and Bay said it doesn't stand up to close inspection (probably because it's comparatively lower in detail and inaccurate.) The prop is always shiny and new, but 99% of the shots of the robots show them all dinged up, plus, IIRC, at the Chicago auto show the other week, it hasn't been modified to reflect the changes to Bumblebee's Camaro.

Besides, that scene where he rolls and looks at Ron is one seamless CG shot (the close up of the car driving in was probably the real car).

20. Agonize

Agonize Decepticon

I can assure you, the Bumblebee you see above is 100% CGI. The way it moves and looks is 100% pure animation :)  The boys of ILM, man.