AM Smokescreen?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kilowog, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    So I've read almost everywhere that Smokescreen is going to be a Knock Out repaint, but where exactly is this from? Did Takara officially say it is or are there pics I dont know about? I cant seem to find a source aside from everyone saying it will be.

AM-26 Smokescreen - Transformers Prime Japanese Figures
    I mean if anything, silhouette looks a little like the show model (door wings, hand and head), and if not that, both car and robot (door wings) silhouettes look much more like a Bumblebee retool than it does a Knock Out

So please someone educate me

2. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    I hope it does not end up another Bumblebee.

I started boycotting that mold.

3. Kylehudson14

Kylehudson14 On when I'm on

They often use stand-in siloettes when the figure itself hasnt been released or the prototype isnt done yet. That siloette is of Bumblebee, but probably a standin. I dont know if Smokescreen will be a new fifure or a KO retool, but Im guessing we'll fin dout pretty soon :) 

4. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    I figured that too, but I keep hearing a lot of people speaking with a degree of certainty that it is KO, which again makes me curious where anyone heard that to begin with.

5. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  6. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
  7. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

8. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  9. Zigholtul

Zigholtul I am the Waffle Maker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly I really liked the mold. The transformation is fun (though easy as heck) and the articulation is not too bad, you can really pull off some cool poses with it. The problem is that since DOTM, the market has become too saturated with him its just utterly ridiculous.

10. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    Hmm, so I guess there was a communication fart between hasbro and takara?

Wonder what dub Smokescreen's toy will be called. Battle Smokescreen? Prowl?

11. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    It's quite possible Smokescreen will get a new mould from Hasbro in 2013. assuming retailer apathy does not kill the Prime line of entirely before then.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 2013 Prime line is a the same toys all over again only with a new gimic. I don't know why they have so little interest in making very many non-show characters or even toys of characters who have been on the show like Makeshift and Tailgate who would be dead easy to do.

There's a Takara Nemesis Prime due - I can't see any reason for their to not be a Hasbro one too.

There grapevine suggests that a fair few slots in 2013 are taken up by FOC designs though. so Prime still might remain on the back burner in terms of toys - I just hope they do get around to making the more obvious things at some point.

I'd even quite like a Weaponizer Optimus repaint as Nemesis Prime. especially if they also make a Megatron Weaponizer too... Perhaps they need to modify the concept so it allows other ideas - say like the Solus Forge that lights up and expands. It was a shame that the Optimus toy had an opening chest compartment with a light in - but no matrix to fit inside.

I hope they have the guts to put the prices up and make the toys more substantial again - something a woefully cheap looking as Voyager Starscream is likely to put you off buying any more - heck I feel dumb for once thinking Energon Mirage (Superlink Shockfleet) was insubstantial. He feels positively muscular now compared to prime toys.

That is the reason I Like weaponizer Prime as at least he feels like a proper toy and not like something that can be blown over in a stiff breeze.

12. Boy Blunder

Boy Blunder Hasbrown'd

Probably Smokescreen. The last Smokescreen toy Hasbro released was called Smokescreen; I don't think there's a copyright issue.

Incidentally, why call him 'dub Smokescreen'?

13. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    No, I mean when the Prime dub in Japan gets up to New Recruit, what are they going to call the character? Even if they ignore the toy and call him Smokescreen, they can't very well call the Arms Micron of that figure Smokescreen since they just called another figure in the line Smokescreen.

14. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If am not wrong,the TakTomy Smokescreen is just another repaint of Bumbleebee but in the show,there is Smokescreen,wondering how Taktomy going to issue the "real Smokescreen" as a toy?

15. Pencoin

Pencoin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I imagine that around about spring/summer 2013 (Giving FOC to run it's course) more prime toys (Prid2) will come out with new molds of Optimus, Bumblebee and finally toy of Insecticons, Smokescreen, Shockwave maybe even the Apex Armor.

I also suspect the line will feature toys based off the TFJ (The upcoming MMO) as well as other alligned designs, like Barricade, Prowl and so on.

16. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love the Knock Out mold, but let's face it...he owns that mold. Owns it hardcore. However, if they give Smokescreen a show accurate paintjob, a new head, the door wings/modified arms and the spoiler for vehicle mode, it'll be enough to sway me. Plus, the Micron port modifications will make him different enough, on top of all of that. Especially if you compare him to the US version of Knock Out.

17. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I don't like what I'm hearing here. You guys are saying smokescreen is going to be a retool? Why?? He shldnt look anything like KO. Or BB for that matter. He's his own character for crying out loud. Idk , I'll wait for final photos before I decide if I'm gonna dump my preorder with BBTS.

18. UltimusPrime

UltimusPrime Banned

News Credits:
    Takara has the Tendency to release figures that make no sense.

DOTM had a Takara Air Raid which was a repaint and then Hasbro has a proper release later on.

19. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream The Ultimate Golden Gamer

News Credits:
    Eff you Takara.

98.57% chance of Hasbro not making anything any better, and 86.32% chance of Hasbro not making one at all.

Seriously, a new character, we've wanted a new Autobot all along, and they make him a retool.

There's no way in hell they'd make a new Optimus or Bumblebee when they already have one, and I don't think this seldom-known MMO will get toys at all. Ever.
    And if Smokescreen is going to be a KO retool for TAKARA, then Hasbro no doubt will do the same if they even bother.
    The most likely think you mentioned that might happen is Shockwave.

How do you know this Smokescreen isn't meant to be the in-show one?

20. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Look at the model on the show. With the exception of the doors on the back, everything else (even the head) can be done with the Knockout toy. He just has the shoulders down like Knockout's instructions instead.