Customs: Am I too old

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by kamtimus_prime, Jan 14, 2009.

1. kamtimus_prime

kamtimus_prime Radicon Visionary

Hey gang:

I think I'm going through a crisis right now. I am about to be 38 this Tuesday, an as I think back on this past year I have purchased just about 100 transformers (g1,omega prime, movie, animated,and universe 2.0) I just purchased Classics UM and the upgrade kit on ebay for my birthday, then started thinking that I am way to old to buy toys. Collecting them does bring me some peace due to my current situation but still I am pushing 40 and I buy toys

Can someone give me some advice is this ok or am I going crazy, and is someone out there around my age that is a collector?

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm nearly 32, plowking is 37 I think. you're only as old as you feel.

3. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

we are too old to be buying toys. with how the world economy going sometimes i ask myself should i even continue doing this?

my answer is fuck yes! why i only 3 more to go for my collection then i'm done. well, if there are more G1esque toys coming out. maybe i'll go get them. although sometimes when i'm shopping for a toy i'll ask myself, wouldn't a kid want this more than i do?

4. yourreflection

yourreflection Well-Known Member

kamtimus_prime,

I've been very blessed and fortunate with a great career in the advertising industry so I'll tell you that your situation is a marketers dream come true.

What has really happened is that at some point of time you made an emotional connection with the brand (transformers). Like all of us, your emotional connection was a positive one, that is why you can't stop buying transformers. Because buying transformers reinstates that positive emotional connection. There is nothing wrong with that. It is what makes you (us) happy. In the industry we call it being brand loyal.

There are tons of things in the world today that we could get ourselves into. At the end of the day, you just have to ask yourself - does this make me a better person or am I worse of? Collecting/Kitbashing Transformers makes us happy, happiness brings peace. There is nothing wrong with a little peace in our lives.

I am in my 30's as well and I buy transformers like crazy. I am just so lucky I am already married, otherwise it would be like the 40 Year Old Virgin movie.

How big is your collection?

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Personally, I think ideas surrounding "toys" are a cultural thing as well as a narrow-minded point of view. Certain things are automatically considered "kids only", despite other things in our culture that are accessible by all. Everyone plays with toys; it's all a matter of what kind, what size, how much, and what you do with em. :) 

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Very true... sure TFs are "made for kids" but ultimately they're no different than any other knicknacks or hobbies that people surround themselves with.

I occasionally get these flashes of guilt over my lifestyle, but it hinges completely around the materialism of it all, not the toys themselves. Too many books, too much furniture, too many dvds, too many electronic doodads, an addiction to cars, new furniture, whatever... it's all the same. In our contemporary society, things are considered a measure of our happiness, a way of quantifying our comfort levels, and distracting ourselves from important things.

So in that sense, I sometimes wonder if I'm doing something wrong, if I should be "living life to the fullest", whatever that means. But surrendering myself to the reality that in our society, things are here to enrich our lives, I have to say... cool toys really do make me happy! :D 

It used to be because a new toy helped me nostalgically channel that glee I felt as an 8-year-old on Christmas morning... though now I realize that I've spent more time as an adult collecting toys than I ever did as a kid! That's a weird realization to make! :) 

Oh, and I'm 34 now, so I'm definitely "too old" for this sort of thing. But it doesn't interfere with other aspects of my life, so why worry?

zmog

7. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Eh, people collect all kinds of things- coins, stamps, shoe laces, shoes, candy bars, fridge magnets, snowglobes...

Nothing wrong with buying toys as an adult. And really, I find more adults in the toy aisles than kids. Not sure whether they're buying for themselves or their kids/nephews/nieces and such, but that doesn't really matter, does it?

Toys are just another product out there for the masses to buy. They may be "intended" for children, but that's just marketing towards a target in my eyes.

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Couldn't have said it better myself, REDLINE. I'm 32 (I'll hit 33 in August) and I still can't get enough of these Transformers. I've been collecting since I was a kid and I never really stopped. I'm just as crazy (or is it obsessed? lol) with Transformers as I was when I first walked into a store and saw them back in the early 80's. I still find it exciting to hunt them down, collect them, and now kitbash them.

Part of me feels "old", but I'm still a kid at heart.......always have been, always will be.

9. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

I think that everyone collects something, man. Think of all the shoes, purses and or clothing that your wife/girlfriend/significant other owns? Quite frankly, I think it's probably a less expensive habit than lets say drinking, smoking, gambling or clubbing on a regular basis.

I turn 31 in April, and I plan on buying TF's till I can't open the packages anymore. then me and Grand kids will do it together. :thumb 

10. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:
    I am 30 and still going at it with classics. Been collecting since '84. I don't feel ashamed of it, i actually tell people at the register there for me when they ask if i want a gift reciept. I look at it this way, some guys collect cars, some guys kitbash houses and reselll them, I collect and kitbash transformers (a hell of a lot cheaper than the others) and have a time of my life doing it. And it gets better when I can share them here with over a 1000 friends, who are also collectors.

Can't argue with something that makes you happy.

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I'm 35 now, and still find myself occasionally in the parking lot of TRU opening what I just bought. ;) 

12. MacrossFA19

MacrossFA19 That son of a bitch!!!

Ebay:

Shame on you! Can't you even wait to get home?:lol 

13. TheMonarch

TheMonarch Still arching Venture

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

You're never too old for toys.

14. zopilote_z

zopilote_z Well-Known Member

Proudly a Child of the 60´s , being born in 1968. But if my wife gave me a TFA prowl for christmas, you could say that it´s fine with the world for all us Transfans.

15. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Eh, I think collecting certain TF toys give me a sense of satisfaction. Hahaha! I think it's part of the process when kids grew up with video games and when they age, gaming is part of their life. Heck, my neighbour is 40 and he plays his ps3 with his son. Unlike my parents who think that only young children play games. Guess the same works for toys. SO the morale of the story is that, "You ROCK!" Keep on buying! Hahahahah!

16. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your not old. I don't see any one at the is what to be considered old....old. I see them a wise. And less prone to make stupid mistakes the young and inexperienced tend to do.

But as for collecting toys. Just read my Quote and Sig Pic. Yeah it's crack but it's safe crack. You wouldn't want to be doing some thing that is going to both physically and mentally harm you would you? And I'm sure it a safe and might I add healthy way or relieving stress in a way. Hell it does me. I'm quick to Classics Optimus Prime and change him when some one is annoying me as not to pummel them.

And this is just along the smae lines as collection antiques,kinck knacks, and other thing. Just those aren't as cool. Call me a geek or a nerd, or just plain young at heart. But I still find it FREAKING AWESOME that you get a car and a robot in one toy.

17. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Hells yeah!! :D 

zmog

18. Conundrum

Conundrum Dabbler of the arts

Ebay:
    Though I've only just turned 19, I kind of know where you're coming from. My dad and I had this following conversation a year or two ago.

my dad: "Jim, you know you're going to be 18 right?"
    me: yeeeah?
    my dad: "well, it just bothers me that you're still buying and playing with toys at your age"
    me: Well, would you rather have me buying and playing with drugs? or alcohol? or prostitutes?
    my dad: touche

That day at the flea market he found and bought me a G1 grimlock all by himself.

The moral of the story: you could be spending your time and money on a lot worse of things...

19. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I'm 26 going to be 27 on July and I still collect action figures from Godzilla to Transformers and if I'm going to do this intil I kick the bucket, then by God I will! If people have a problem with that then that's their problem. I want to do want I love and it makes me happy.

20. TheMonarch

TheMonarch Still arching Venture

News Credits:
    Oh, for the record... I'm 31.