Am I to young to be nostalgic?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by megatronkicksas, Oct 12, 2009.

1. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

I wanna party like its 1999

2. luke4

luke4 crocon

i remember big bad beetleborgs! i recall them doing a anti smoking thing at the end of an episode.

i watch beast wars now and im like omg i remember watching that when i was younger on tv! and im 14.

3. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

Nostalgia is great, but at the same time i dont like to look back that often. it makes things in the present look weird after a while.

4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I used to think the Amish lifestyle would suit me quite well. In many ways it often seems like society has changed faster than we've been able to adapt to it.

I think one of the attractions of the past is the lack of uncertainty. The fifties can seem like a nice time to live, especially when you know that it doesn't end in nuclear holocaust.

Disney had a great talent for creating an attractive, sentimental nostalgia for a time that never truly was. People criticise him for that, but it's only natural to want to remember the good times rather than the bad. There's tremendous appeal in some of the old hand-crafted stuff from the past. I think a lot of that stuff has more soul to it, and there's a kind of simple integrity that you just won't find in a department store. There's always a trade-off to progress, but I do value the convenience of modern life.

I often wonder if the distance of time makes me more receptive to certain things. The question to ask is whether I'd like it if it as much if it was still relevant. Modern culture can be so disposable and there's a natural urge to want to fight that. To remember something even as it falls to obscurity. I'm a bit of a retro-head you see.

5. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    The present is weird. Things don't have to be the way they are, but they could be also worse. Sometimes it takes the perspective of the past to show that. Years will pass and much of this'll all seem as goofy as MC Hammer does today. There'll come a time when people will look back fondly on these days. Rightly or wrongly. We should probably enjoy the here and now for everything it's worth.

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can dig that vibe, man.
    and i want to add something else.

I get nostalgic for things that I wasn't around for. but only because someone or something made it a personal experience.

For example, My mom used to paint with oils a lot. Used to smoke a cherry tobacco blend as she painted. and she had the Woodstock album on vinyl that she listened to a lot.

i heard that album so much and associated it with that sweet sweet smell of her pipe, that i get nostalgic over that album.
    Same with Iron Butterfly songs. heard it so much in my house that when i hear an old keyboard and its weird "breathing" effect, i get sentimental.

I think Nostalgia has a limit based on your life, but the things you are nostalgic for, are not limited to your lifespan.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think smkspy did a pretty fair job of nailing the actual topic down. Just for added clarity, this is what Merriam-Webster has to say:

I think what everyone who feels "nostalgic" to come extent would need to figure out the object of the nostalgia. For me, it is Transformers (and other things) that were introduced in my lifetime, that I have shared experiences with, and a longing to return to those thoughts/feelings often.

What I've found in those who are older than I am is much what Bumblethumper is touching on: nostalgia for an ideal. "Things aren't like they were when I was growing up." I'm sure many of us have heard that phrase a few times over now. The harsh reality is that "the good old days" ever never that. I think what our current culture and generations are saturated with more now is the lines of fantasy and reality constantly being blurred. Reality shows are the prime advocates of just this. Much of our entertainment is wired (pun intended) to things like Facebook and other social networking things as well.

Anyways, that's just a few of my thoughts on the topic, and I hope it helps continue the conversation. :) 

8. Deadpool.

Deadpool. I want my bird.

News Credits:
    Oh crap, I've been nostalgic since 10...

9. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

I MISS DINOZAURS!!! that show was soo coolio.

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think its nothing wrong to think of the past. The 80's rocked for me! We had G1, MOTU, Star Wars, G.I. Joe, Mask, MOTU, Batman: Animated Series...those were some of the cooler toylines I remembered.

11. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    When I was a kid, I was looking back to the 80s, but I think the 90s were even better and I look back to the 90s now more often than to the 80s.

12. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    yepp, 1999 till 2003 was the best

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    80s rock in its own way, the 90s rock in its own way. for me the 80s are much more nostalgic with its cartoons, toys, movies, tv-shows...just everything is so darn good back then..I wanan reliv the 80s dammit.

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Bunch of goddamn babies :mad 

15. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I was older at the end of the eighties (13) than the Op was at the end of the ninties (6). I'm old.

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

You're never too young, just different timelines.

Beast Wars are nostalgic to some today just like G1 was to us in the 80's.

I can understand why the new kids don't like G1. Im the same way with those classic GI Joe dolls from the 70's. Hate them, but I have so much nostalgia for the 80's Joes that came after

17. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

I totally agree. I am 17 too and I have a butt-load of memories ...
    Road Rovers, Biker Mice, Turtles, Spiderman, Dragonball, Silver Fang ..
    You name it!

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

When there's no more Twin Twist's to suck, or no Super Megatron's giving out bad titles, or Kickbacks peeing on your laptops, or Bacala's firing everyone..... It will all be in the hands of, you guys.

Little shits, you better not fuck this place up in 20 years, or I'll cane rape you

19. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light

Rofl! :lol 

20. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Man...remember when megatronkicksas started a thread about youth and nostalgia?

Good times...good times...

- Coeloptera