Am I the Only Only One Who Cares?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by soundwaverulls, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Russian fan

Russian fan Proud Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Oh, what words of wisdom!

2. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, people foam at the mouth about it all the freaking time.

To a certain extent, I obviously agree...ESPECIALLY about RotF, where in order to facilitate the plot and the background plates the 'cons were clearly just idiots. In DotM I actually thought the narrative of the 'con victory followed by defeat was acceptable. At least it seemed like they were putting some effort into it...except maybe Starscream, he got a little careless. :p 

A lot of the complaining (not necessarily yours, as I honestly failed to read it all) does seem to ignore genre trappings. This is the action genre, not every villain (or even hero) can get a dedicated scene to his awesomeness. Even in TFTM 1986, guys were dropping like flies. So I don't care about the Dreads. I think there is a legitimate complaint that Starscream, Megatron, Soundwave all flew by and died a little fast.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I heart the "Am I the only one" threads.

No...you're not. There will always be another person in the world who will see your point. It's like a new movement in "comradery in disappointment," where folks want to know if they are the only ones who disapprove of something. :lol 

4. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope. I know good guys are supposed to win but not like this! I was IMMENSLEY disappointed in seeing the Decepticons (EVERY.SINGLE.ONE) getting murdered in DOTM, how the heck is TF4 going to be done now without recognizable Decepticons?

5. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Predacons, yo!

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    ^This.

The biggest problem with the trilogy is that they made up everything as they went along and never planned an overall story arc from day one. I never felt charecters evolving....infact in some cases Sam, Megatron and even Optimus devolve and become terrible charecters.

7. cliffjumperftw1

cliffjumperftw1 I have no idea what I'm doing.

So Bay gave us a ****** who embarrasses himself to tell a joke to relate to. Does he think most of the general public is like that or what?

8. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    Yes, of course you are. No one's ever made this complaint before and you, sir, are the first to bring it to our attention. Well done. I bestow upon you 1 Internet Cookie.

9. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Yep I agree. And that's what I don't understand. Sam seems to regress a bit in DOTM, but Megatron and Optimus pretty much switched characters since the first movie. Megatron is the one always trying to reason with Optimus, and Optimus is the one ripping everybody to shreds without mercy or a second thought.

10. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    This thing you're ranting on isn't really anything new. I understand this is your opinon and such and you're most certainly NOT the only one. In fact rants like this came on since DAY 1 of the first movies release. This is getting old and honestly we get it already the Decepticons weren't handled right but like I said this rant is old news.

11. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    "Megatron's the one always trying to reason with Optimus"...? He offered Optimus a truce once at the end of DOTM. That hardly qualifies as "always".

Megatron just got shafted in the characterization department for the entire trilogy. He doesn't show up until the end of the first movie and he plays second-fiddle to the main villains of the second and third movies.

Altogether, the second movie is to blame. The second film in a trilogy is vital, as far as characterization goes. The first movie introduces the characters, the second explores them, and the third resolves everything. We got a solid first and third installment. But, the second one pretty much poisoned the whole story. Hell, DOTM felt more like it was spending more time trying to fix all of the mistakes of ROTF rather than bring about a complete conclusion.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    They took over Chicago in a day.

/thread.

That's the point. DOTM was supposed to be the last of the trilogy.

13. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Thanks for posting everyone. I new I wasn't the only one but every time this topic comes up, there's only a couple of people arguing that they are weak and there is still strong support for more films and even some for more Bay. In fact even in this thread, there are still quite a few who disagree with me.

As usual Ceasar121 has posted my opinion with writing of quality I could only dream of using. For that, I thank you Ceasar121.

For those who say they are in DOTM don't last one scene. When Optimus flies overhead to the battle, you see the Autobots massively outnumbered yet already taking down a couple of Cons. Then Optimus joins the battle. Not a single Con from that scene survived. They all just stood in a line waiting to get killed. Most only took one hit and died. Optimus even uses an exploding blade and causes everything around him to explode just be walking.

For those who still say there can't be an action film with good villains, I direct your attention to this post.

I know Bay can make good films with quality villains. Look at TF1. I just wish he would make more like them. I wonder if getting back Orci and Kruzmen to replace Kruger would help?

14. zark225

zark225 Talon Productions on YouTube

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Yeah talking about how bad the Decepticons sucked in the movies is getting very old. I'm a Decepticon fan and didn't have that much of a problem!

15. Ceasar121

News Credits:
    Megatron talks to Prime in ROTF too... Megatron - "is not your homeworld worth the life of one human?" Prime -"You'll never stop at one. I'll take you all on!"

Seems like Megatron usually tries to communicate with Prime. After the first movie, it's always Prime firing the first shot. Movie 1 Optimus calls him out -- and then Megatron rushes Prime. Everytime they share the scene after that, Optimus initiates the combat.

I'm not saying that Optimus isn't justified, but it's usually been Prime who gives speeches and tries to convince Megatron to change... in ROTF and DOTM, Prime initiates conflicts and refuses to talk to Megatron... all of the brother sentiment is gone.

One could argue it's character development, but that usually requires dialogue or reflection from the character, and nothing, other than action, shows Optimus change in demeanor.

If you can't see a tonal shift in Optimus from movie 1 to the sequels... IDK what to say. It's obvious he's different, far more brutal in combat and he shows none of the remorse or sentiment (sorry brother... you left me no choice) he showed in the first.

I don't think Orci and Kurtzman would help much. You can tell they have a different view of Transformers than Bay if you watch Prime... so I don't think it would help. Ehren Kruger wrote something far more TF related for movie 2, and it wasn't used. I think Bay comes up with the action ideas and then tries to fit the story around them, not the other way around. IMO, as long as we have Bay, we'll have cookie cutter villains. He's never truly done a good villain, aside from Sentinel Prime, and so I don't suspect he has the skill to do a group of villains well... at best we'll get one well done villain from him. I think he enjoys Transformers films, because they allow him utilize his skills in action, and don't require his full focus. To me, his best films were the Rock, the Island, TFTM, and the first Bad Boys. You could see alot more focus in his work there, something you don't see in ROTF and DOTM, where the action set pieces ARE the story and don't truly add flavor to the story.

I'm a Bay fan, I'll always see his movies, he's just not the fit I thought he would be for the franchise. I thought he would treat it like his baby, his legacy, after the first one, delve into the mythos, develop both sides epically, and do his best work. Instead he made some awesome action sequences, highlighted by Rambomus Prime and Bumblebee McClain. The bad guys aren't truly characters, for the most part, they are just there to be used in the action sequences.

16. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Am I crazy if I think that this "truce" that Megatron refers to at the end of the movie isn't for Optimus, but between Megs and Sentinel instead? That's how I always took the scene.

*holds Sentinel by the collar* "Now, we need a truce. All I want is to be back in charge." *throws Sentinel to the ground* "Besides, who would you be without me, Prime?"

Why would Megatron be grasping Sentinel by the collar and looking at Sentinel and offering a truce with Optimus? Megatron wants to be back in charge of the Decepticons. He wants Sentinel to relinquish his command over Megatron's troops. That's what Megatron wants. Nothing to do with Optimus. Megatron's words make no sense if he's speaking to Optimus. At this point, Optimus is just a side-thought for Megatron. "Sentinel, we need a truce! I want to be back in charge of the Decepticons again, okay? Oh, right, Optimus is still here. Forgot about you. After all, Optimus, you need me!"

The "fact" that Megatron saved Optimus is neither here nor there. Megatron would've shot up Sentinel whether he had killed Optimus or not. It was just dramatic timing. Megatron just wants command of his troops back, which can happen with or without Optimus.

Just my ramblings. :) 

17. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Decepticons were definitely at their most threatening in the first film. I want to go back to that. I think ROTF dropped the ball, but DOTM did make up for it a little. DOTM is the only Transformers film thus far where we actually see Decepticons killing civilians. They dismantle an entire city in less than a day, killing most of its inhabitants. Pretty diabolical.

Anyway, as I said, I think they’re at their most threatening in the first film, but they’re definitely at their most evil in DOTM.

18. kaiserlisk

kaiserlisk Squid Kid

News Credits:
    No, you are not the only one who cares. I for one can empathize with you to an extent. However, as an ardent fan of Zergs and their basic gameplay, I rather like having the monster-esque bad guys favoring quantity over quality; I for one can excuse Decepticons being slaughtered like shee-I sound like a dumbass to you, don't I?:lol 

But yeah, I can forgive Decepticons being massacred. I'll find my own reasons for why they're so weak or just ignore it overall. Besides, I actually play with my toys; I can make my bad guys be badasses if I want. And, I do.

Just my :2c: 

My only problem is that with all the screentime protoforms get, they should at least get a toy or two. But that's beside the point.

19. Ceasar121

News Credits:
    ^ Naw I think he's talking to Op, if for no other reason then they were once co rulers. He wouldn't offer Sentinel a truce, he had just beat the slag out of him. He's saw Optimus about to be killed, and technically, saved his life, so he thinks "why not have a truce? the planet is ours". Figuring Prime is in no position to fight, he offers the truce. Plus it fits with what was originally scripted, him offering the truce.

20. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    They took over a defenseless, civilian city using a full fleet of spaceships, giant monster worms, and human liaisons. And immediately after failed to keep the Autobots, several teams of US soldiers, and one hacker out.