Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDemonDzko, Mar 29, 2012.

1. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko °-{[●□●]}-° {Beep. Boop.)

I know getting worked up about a forum is really not the best thing in the world. Especially when it is about transforming robots, and toys. Coma but. I feel that lately TFW2005 is getting a bit... Silly. Ignoring how silly we are regardless, in terms of us being goofy. I'm more speaking of Movie, Toy, and Transformers General Discussion.

In movie thread, for some reason... There has been a surplus of threads about, the background of scenes, and the over-analyzing every single scene of the films, as if they where films of merit, or have some sort of profound deeper meaning. I think it is quite evident. There is no profound deeper meaning to the live-action Transformers films. They are a special-effects jerk-off fest, that happen to have Transformers labeled onto it in order to sell the products. Nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure there are people that find the live-action films to be the greatest thing in the universe since sliced gravy... However, not so much in my perspective, as I am clearly not wearing the same goggles you are. Either it be the three layers of Skeptic-speticals, Cynical-specticals, or Nostalgia-specticals. I don't think I will ever see those movies as being decent, even with the excuse of "It isn't about the Transfomrers, it is about Sam's journey blalbalba." that I always tell myself in order to make the movies somewhat decent. However, I think this odd over analysis over the films is getting very-very-very old. I don't give a crap if Optimus's shoulder gaurds are square, and Sentinel Prime's are pointy. It is irrelevant, I'm sure if it was when the movies where first coming out... sure? Why not. But, now? It just feels like spam, and idiocy. In my perspective!

As for my favorite thread, I can go either way with this thread. As it does have some merit, when half the threads arn't about bitching over the same damn'd thing... every. Damn'd. Time. I cannot stand how everyone thinks that it is a good idea to bitch about the growing size of Bumblebees. I get it, god do I know, there are a fuuuuuuuuck load of bumblebees, I think the only person that doesn't know, is someone who lives under a rock, is blindfolded, blasting Simon and Garfunkel, and has never actually seen a Walmart in the past 5 years... Because, I think it was made quite obvious by the first movie. "THERE WILL BE BUMBLEBEE!!!" and, by "THERE WILL BE BUMBLEBEE!!!" I mean that the little shit has been clogging our shelves for five years, with four different versions of himself with each movie (Or six or seven depending on DOTM...) So, it is pretty obvious that there are a fuckload of him, considering A) He is Transformers version of Pikachu, and B) Aaron Archer practically being on his knees for the Black and Yellow turd.

Another thing that bugs me about the toy thread, that also leaks onto the General Discussion thread as well is the, whining and bitching about how "X Wasn't released, HASBRO HATES US!!!" that stint gets old, so fast. Ignoring that it isn't Hasbro's fault when products arn't released, and is the retailers. But, the automatic assumption that Hasbro is just after our balls, and is just a mean little kid and we are the ants down below. We got a classics line, three movie lines, and they are making a Prime line. Honestly at this point, we should be grateful they arn't just putting all their eggs in one basket with Rescue-bots, or Kre-o. Though, i'm sure someone here would like that... a little too much. But, I do understand the pain of certain toys or DVDs not being released, but if anything I have learned, is to just move on. If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't... go fucking figure, it doesn't. There is no reason that four months after the fact bitching about it is going to change it... Unless you are one of the rock-livers...

But, finally I reach to the Transformers General discussion... I clearly do not know how that sub-forum works... exactly, and this may be in part due to the Moderators who make the line of what is spam/trolling and just general discussion a very grey line, with alot of moral ambiguity. Sometimes I can't tell if there is a general guideline we are supposed to be following, that just clearly gets ignored... Or what? Because, someone can post about how badly they want to replace Arcee's mufflers, and the other times, a user can post about how they really would want to see Menasor and Omega Supreme do battle, and get the Nth degree... Because of... Because? I really don't get the logic in that, and I don't think I ever will. However, I think bitching about the Moderators is "In bad taste", slash another rant for another day. As I'm sure if I said anything in a negative light it would viewed as trolling, and if I praised a moderator it would seem like i'm playing favourites/getting on my knees for them. Though, in all actuality I could care less about the moderators here, as they are just regular people, that may or may not have a Napoleon Complex. I have no idea. Nor, is it up to me to decide.

But, in the end I feel as it is up to said Moderators to make a decision about this Forum, because it is pretty obvious that there is a bit of matienence and changing that needs to be done regarding rules, regulations and moderation. As currently there is a bit of unrest among the community.

So, as for suggestions I have for the community is really, moderators need to take an unfortunate glance at the Movie Forum from time to time... in order to ... Moderate that Sub-forum (gasp.) Calm down on the whole "Signature size" issue, when there are clearly larger issues about the forums. And possibly just keep things in order instead of playing Police-man and deciding what is write and wrong, and just decide what is write and wrong within context. Just my suggestions.

What are yours?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Didn't you make another thread very similar to this?

Am... am I just having a massive case of deja vu?

edit: Kind of, it was pretty close in terms of concept. Didn't end well, it seems.

Signatures are a clear set of rules that are easily enforceable, and represent something that not only can cost the site money in terms of bandwidth, but can make threads nearly unreadable. Moderators DO moderate the movie forum, and threads that are not against the rules are left to thrive or languish, even if they don't seem like an original or an intriguing topic.

In the end, there will always be dozens of threads about hot topics du jour, because that's what people want to discuss, and they'll end up building off older threads, or being merged or locked. What will make or break the movie forum, the boards as a whole, or any forum, is the quality AND quantity of discussion going on, which is in the hands of the users, and is, sadly, a very difficult balance for the moderators to maintain.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  3. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    People, from my observation, know what to expect from tfw forums. So they either come here for what's to be expected or go elsewhere where it's not as rampant. There are other forums if you're not happy here.

Incidentally , you've been here since 2008 and you just now notice these patterns? I'm sorry, I've been posting in less time then that and caught on right away. If it isn't price gouging over the holidays, it's bumblebees and if it's not that it's tuner mudflaps and hasbro's lack of proper distribution blah blah blah.

4. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

The Movie Forum is garbage. It has no reason to even be open. It's just a fuckton of 50% trolling and 50% repeated threads. How many eagc7 threads are we going to get about resurrecting the big bads? How many threads will we get in the future about "Why did Ironhide have to die?", "These films are garbage!!!11" or "Anyone notice Laserbeak's 23rd wing spike?"

And I'm sick of complaint threads about "HASBROOOOOOOOOO!" "Why is PRID so suck?" "Why so many Bumblebees?" "MOAR VEHICONS!!!!!!!!" "BLAH BLAH First Edition BLAH BLAH DOTM Wave 6 and Leadfoot BLAH!"

And don't get me started on the Prime forum. Just don't.

5. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dzko... why do you keep making complaint threads about parts of the board?

6. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Because he's better than the rest of us, evidently

7. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    TBH, I have been part of many other forums besides this one. The moderators on here are the fastest to act that I have ever seen. If you feel like something is abuse, report it, and guess what it is dealt with.

I have seen many threads closed, many threads merged and many warnings given. So realistically, I don't blame the mods.

I think the thing is, and on the stuff you say, makes sense:
    - The ages on here vary from 10-40+ at least. So your going to have a varied choice of opinions. Shit, when I saw Honey I Shrank the Kids, I thought it was great. At the same time, now I watch a movie like Tree of Life, and I know as a 12 year old I would say, what the f was that Garbage? Today, it's a masterpiece.
    - You have internet muscle. So people say what they will.
    - Different people get outraged about different things. Others don't. I get outraged at company practices others don't. Some people go crazy over movie verse toys, and I don't give a crap. So there is so many different things going on at one time.

To be honest, I like Process the best on here. He said it once, and I "try" to live by it. "Stick to the facts, and have fun", was losely what I recall. Everything else is an opinion, so things will rage over opinions. If you have the facts, then your okay. Unfortunately too many people state opinion as facts, but that's something different all together.

8. TheDemonDzko

=P I guess I'm just a terrible person.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    This is currently my only gripe about TFW.

Well, that, along with my lamenting that the General Discussion forum here is nowhere near as hilarious as the one on Hisstank.

10. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol- honestly, who cares. if you don't like the board go somewhere else. there are clearly tons of people that enjoy TFW and don't feel the need to complain about it as if it actually had an impact on your life

11. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    If I didn't have self-confidence I'd be pretty darn buggered right now. That's for sure! :lol 

12. TheDemonDzko

=P I'm clearly not better than everyone though, since I'm bitching where as the clearly superior bunch are turning around and making fun of my own point of view.

13. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't ever remember saying to have fun. :ev: 

14. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Don't take it personal, it is the internet. And not everyone has done that.

15. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Oh dude. You're my friend. You should know better than thinking I really think of you in that manner. If I did, I wouldn't have even bothered posting in your thread.

AS your friend though, it's unfortunate to see that you apparently have quite a few issues with the board in general, because it's like being at a party, and in the back of your head you know your bro isn't having a fun time too. Just brings the mood down in general.

16. TheDemonDzko

Well, to use your example. In the same situation "In a party". It's like we are all having a good time, fair enough. Then a group of assholes come in, pants down and literally pissing on everyone's time. Then the police come in and start beating you with batons, because of...because. Completely ignoring the guys that are just pissing...eeevvvvvveerrrryywwwheeeeerrree, and it is getting deep within the rug. Y'know that rug? The ugly ass one, that really ties the room together. That you got from... your Nana. Yeah. That rug. And what was seeming like a great time with your friends, is now this awkward smelling asparagus adventure, to the land of Tokusatsu.

In which. Honestly i'm debating quitting here, and just living on Tokunation.com because things are just so much more easy going, and enjoyable. Where, I don't have to really worry about I say, because everyone is really chillax about everything, and if I'm wrong about something people will correct me on it, without being a over-pretentious jerk about it.

17. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Eh, the internet is what it is. It won't ever go away, and will just get worse.

Thankfully, there's an ignore feature.

18. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, people complain a lot or that they get silly but take with a grain of salt.

and no, your not a terrible person.

19. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    To be fair, using your analogy, your response is to drop trow and begin chasing the guys uro-vandalizing the party while adding your stream to the mix, all while telling everyone how bad it is that things have come to this.

Not saying it won't bring attention to the issues and maybe make people think about them, but in the end, possibly not the most productive or prudent of actions.

I think this situation is more of a party you go to and there's a group of guys you don't get along with hammered off their asses in the corner, and they just WON'T STOP singing showtunes, as loud as they can. And you're getting more and more tired of hearing them butcher "Luck be a lady tonight" for the dozenth time, and the hosts don't want to have to come over and tell them to go home unless its absolutely necessary, because those guys seem to be having a good time. Now, in that situation, I'd probably try belting out the first couple bars to "Bohemian Rhapsody" and seeing if they'll join in. Some might, some might not, but if it catches on, it'll be worth it.

20. Alucard77

News Credits:
    What the? Man what kind of parties do you guys go to? Show tunes or Pissing?

I think of this like a Frat house. You never get along with everyone in a frat house, but at the end of the day your all brothers. Some are assholes, some are not. Also, the assholes probably think your an asshole for not doing something they like.