Am I the only one...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by WreckNRule426, Jun 30, 2011.

1. WreckNRule426

WreckNRule426 Autobot

who got majorly reminded of the Challenger disaster when the Autobots' ship got blown up by Starscream?

2. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I think there was a note in the "I've seen the movie" thread about that. I did get that vibe right off the bat.

3. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    I was actually wondering if there was any stock footage in there. I looked pretty close. Nothing I could see.

4. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Both Betsy and I got that vibe as well

5. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That one shot of flaming debris going down looked like they did pull it from the disaster.

So far, I'm surprised their haven't been any 'poor taste' threads claiming Bay made a mockery of a terrible disaster.

6. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    they used challenger footage
    I've seen that footage literally hundreds of times (before you ask why its because I went to space camp twice)

7. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You sound like an 'oldie' like me. Were you around in the days when you could win trips to Space Camp on kids contests and Nickelodeon?

8. Hoptimus

Hoptimus How I roll.

News Credits:
    I definitely felt that conection too. Respectfully, however, I have to submit that there's no way that was Challenger footage. I was 15 when that happened, I remember it well. There were no big flaming chunks, only white and dark trails, and the 2 boosters going their own separate ways before being popped by the Range Safety guys.

Looked a lot like it, naturally, but not actual footage. Nobody would have stood for that. And I doubt that Bay would have used actual footage after getting NASA's cooperation.

9. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    an oldie?? lol I'm a 33 year old woman.
    I don't remember any competition I did get tuition help due to that I had high math and science scores on state tests
    I went when I was 12 then again at 16
    Challenger is discussed and gone over in the lower program (the one where I was 12) but gone over in big detail in the upper program (the one where I was 16)

10. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please forgive but it is the Challenger footage
    waht not the video there is a still photo on one of the screens I will try to find it and post it here hold on

11. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    It looks like it because that's what it looks like when a shuttle blows up in mid-flight.
    And I'd have to see the movie again, but I don't think that was the Challenger footage.

12. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Yeah, it reminded me of the disaster, but only that, I was too into the movie.

13. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

ok this is the photo I am referring to as they pan to different mission control screens this is on one of the screens this is the Challenger footage I am referring to them using, bo actual lenghty video was used I apologize if thats how it sounded which going back and looking at my post that is how it sounded, my apologies

14. 26_Mirage

26_Mirage Heroic Stunticon

Actually while watching the missiles head towards the shuttle I kept thinking ...'Please don't use the Challenger explosion footage' and I think Bay did handle it really well.:2c: 

The explosion itself looked nothing like the Challenger explosion...and mid-way through the explosion you can actually see the ENTIRE shuttle falling away from the blast. IIRC. (I think):inquisiti 

15. erjaho0614

erjaho0614 Autbot/Maximal

I kind of think Bay was going for that sort of feeling people got when Challenger blew up, but I highly doubt he's insensitive enough to use the actual footage in the film.

16. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

I didnt pick up on that. I did however feel there were several "conspiracy" hints.
    The space launch and how some think it staged.
    The whole JFK deal, Im too young for the details
    Was the 'suicide you' supposed to mean the people in the great depression who jumped out of buildings?
    The worm destroying the tower. How can you not see 911, especially with that dudes whole "join them or die" thing. Also, didnt they mention the needs of the many outweighing the few? = 911. Just sayin what I feel.
    And lastly. Was that really Obama? Is he a president or an actor? GTFO
    Oh, and the War of the Worlds feel. You know the whole point of that was that the media used its power to hoax the masses.

17. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I doubted. NASA needs funding and positive PR since they are getting defunded and the general public think it is a waste of money. So any good exposure and assistance through a blockbuster movie is welcomed. In other words they will sell their soul if they need to.