Am I the only one...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Ra88, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    ...Who had NO problems following the city fight? I had no problems figuring everything out and watch their movements....:( 

2. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    I had problems figuring out what was going out. I just could not keep up. Things were blowing up here and there and I was like "Who just got shot?" "who's firing?" "Wait did that hit him?" "did he just die!?"

3. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I just wish they had maybe spread the fighting out a bit more as I did feel it was a bit crammed in at the end. Wasn't too bad but I did have a bit of trouble keeping up as the cutting was a little to fast and furious.

4. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    That's the odd thing, everytime I hear someone say stuff like that, I think "what are you talking about? Yeah, it was hectic, but it wasn't that hard to follow...Was it?". I just can't understand that some people had to see it three times to follow everything.:confused: 

5. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Personally, that big action scene at the end of the movie was a big blurry mess.

Couple of reasons for this:

1) A movie projector plays at 24 frames per second, so there's a certain amount of blur to begin with;
    2) Theater screens are HUGE. Maybe I was sitting too close?
    3) Bay loves a shaky camera and get it REAAAL CLOSE to its subjects. I hated that, because you rarely got to entirely see the TF's bodies and it made it hard to follow what was going on.

6. bushboy

bushboy Hardcore Decepticon

I agree. I caught everything except when my friend kept passing in front of me to go to the bathroom

7. y2jversion1

y2jversion1 Rent this space today!

Ebay:
    That's what annoyed me.. a few decent long/medium-long shots with a steady cam would've made it better for me

8. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    That made me feel like I was on a boat :yuck 

9. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

What he said!

I don't think it was such a great idea to put the final battle in the middle of a cramped city steet. That was a dumb ****ing idea to begin with.

10. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I found it rather fluid and easy to catch. the only part i didnt like was how quickly they offed bonecrusher and when the new bots the allspark made came alive i think they needed some more screen time

11. Praxis

Praxis Active Member

Yeah I had that complaint also. The fight was tough to follow, I wish they had just "panned back" a lot more! But I loved seeing these old friends up on the big screen =)

12. Lateralus

Lateralus Well-Known Member

Lots of big destroyable buildings = more mass carnage

That's the logic here.

13. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

What you would rather have it at Madison Square Garden? The fact that it was in the city made for some really awesome scenes IMHO. If the battle was out in the middle of a corn field I don't think it would have been as exciting. Seeing the bots romp through the city made me relate to them more and gave us a much needed sense of scale and perspective.

14. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

Haven't seen it yet, but as I like the rawness of this style in Bay's other films I can't see TF being an exception.
    The action just seems more visceral to me by allowing the camera to 'react' as a human spectator would - It's conveys the chaos of battle remarkably well I think.
    I understand why people may not like it, but I also understand (and appreciate) why Bay does it. Lose that and it's not a Bay film to me.

15. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I think I caught about 50-75% of what was happening. I do think I was sitting too close and I've never been fond of shaky camera work (one of the reasons I can't stand the LXE movie). But Sam, Mikaela, Bee, Op, were all pretty easy to follow. Megs and Screamer both being sliver planes got a little confusing, but you could see it was Megs fighting Op and chasing Sam while Screamer took down the army planes. I think the army got Blackout and Devistator while Mikaela and Bee took out Baracade, but it was hard telling the 3 Cons apart. And Ironhide being black didn't help things (another reason he should have been red). It was hard to tell Ratchet from Bee until Bee lost his legs with them both being yellow, but the extra red on Ratchet helped. And poor Jazz being sliver kind of got lost in the shuffle with Screamer and Megs. Maybe next time, they should try and make sure each TF has a color scheme that will make them easier stand out in battle like Prime or Bee.

16. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Yeah, I could keep up with what was happening, lol. It's not all that hard for me for some reason, lol.

17. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    Its his visual style, he wants to add a very frantic and visceral style to it. Like the action is right in your face. When you get the shaky camera scenes, it is an effect that he uses to show realism because the battle is viewed from the humans point of view who are scrambling about.

This technique was employed alot in Batman Begins during hand to hand fights and it leaves you thinking "what the heck is going on?" but the point is to put you in the view of the bad guy who is in the state of confusion, not knowing what is going on or who hit him.

Of course long wide shots are preferred but its his style. He does a lot of hand held camera work and operates the camera himself for those shots. And after the 2nd viewing, you get a better idea of what is going on.

Thats why you definitely wouldn't wanna hire him if you need a director for a kung fu movie who shoots and cuts really fast.

18. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

As a big fan of martial arts and sword fighting films, shaky camera movements can completely destroy the fight, but in a movie like TFs it has merit.

Again I think the answer simply lies in making sure each character has a color scheme that can be pretty well indentified even when the camera is shaky and moving like that. I had no problems at any time following what Op was doing in the fight because he was imediately indentifiable with his red/blue body.

19. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

It was visually a bit shakey, but I understood and could follow exactly everything that was going on.

20. citcgn

citcgn Well-Known Member

My only beef with the final fight scene was that they'd cut away from the interesting fights to have a close-up of Fox or Duhamel doing something boring. Otherwise, I had no problems with the final scene.