Am I the only one?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Polenicus, May 29, 2007.

1. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    I gotta ask this question, because I'm feeling a bit odd about it.

As TF toys go, I'm not exactly picky. Since RiD I've basically scooped up at least one of every mold produced that I can get my hands on. Especially Optimus Prime. When my friend grabbed the last Classics Optimus at a convention, I seriously considered dropping him with a lead pipe in the parking lot to get it (He said he'd have felt the same way, except he wouldn't have just considered it).

Then the movie toys came out, and my response was a resounding 'meh'.

Now, on the surface, there's nothing wrong with these guys. They're poseable, their transformations are complex and interesting, the alt modes are cool and they're among some of the most talk-about and praised toys around.

So why when I had the rare opportunity to grab Leader Optimus at a local Zellers almost two weeks ago, knowing damn well I wouldn't see another until June 2nd, did I put him back? I had the money, he's a big, interesting, highly detailed, poseable fig... everything he should have to be a great Optimus.

So why am I 'meh'?

I'm thinking maybe I just need to see the movie first (Which I'm looking forward to) so that I have a context and personality to put to the figs. I'm thinking that might be it, in just the movie characters are so far removed from their old school personas that I really don't have any connection to them yet. Classics Bumblebee is basically G1 Bumblebee, but Movie Bumblebee is a completely new beast, so to speak.

Anyone else having the problem of just not being into the movie toys?

2. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I believe I'm in the same catagory as you are in currently.... Plus I'm a sucker for realistic alt modes not to mention being a GM man at that, but like you I feel mostly meh about the new figures... the ones I know for sure that I will eventually get are Leader Prime & Megatron, Voyager Ironhide....and maybe the voyagers of Ratchet, Prime, & Megs.

I will just have do like you said and just wait to see the movie before I make anymore decisions about the others.

3. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

with my 2-soon to be 3- movie toys, i am having fun making them into new charecter. longview (renamed viewfinder) the nieve slightly dumb do gooder, and fab prime, renamed optanix, the hardline indiana jones esque mercenary. works for me.

4. R.I.N.G.R.A.M.

R.I.N.G.R.A.M. 2nd Medic of Team Zissou

Im still waiting here in the UK, i'll definatley get Blackout & Bonecrusher

Possibly Voyagers Starscream & Ironhide and deluxes '07 Camaro BumbleBee & Jazz

The rest dont interest me at all

5. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I've had numerous opportunites to pick up the new toys on HBTS.com at 25% off + free shipping ... and that still won't make me get them.

I like the real gears. I like Ironhide ... but the rest do nothing for me. Even if the movie is spectacular, the characters will look nothing like their plastic counterparts.

I loved Cybertron / Galaxy Force due to their toy tie in. (identical transformations. identical dimensions when applicable) With the advanced CGI, this just isn't possible for the newest line.

6. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I dunno, I bought Ratchet, Blackout and both Protoforms a couple of days ago, and almost immediately I regretted getting the protoforms. Ratchet loses points for being so out of scale.

Blackout is pure win though.

7. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Yup! It's alright. Everyone's got different tastes.

I'll probably sell Blackout when I finally get around to doing a collection purge.

8. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Well, at first it was 'meh', but once I got used to the new look, they weren't that much different, As the four I now own will attest.

9. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I was going to all but skip the movie line. I just planned to get one or two of the figures (Optimus and his protoform, maybe Barricade). Then I got protoform Optimus and fell absolutely in love with it. Completely sold me on the movie designs. I'm still not getting much, just the characters that appear in the movie, but I'm really looking forward to the toys now (and cursing the fact that none of the stores here are breaking the street date).

10. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I find the proportions and colours unpleasant. They don't look heroic enough for me. Their legs are too short, their arms are too long and their image is too cluttered.

I will buy a few for the reasons mentioned: Good alt mode, good transformation and good poseability. This means they are good toys. But like art, if I don't like it, I don't like it.

11. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I'm also pretty "meh" on the movie toys. They look neat, but I just don't feel inclined towards picking most of them up. In my eyes, at least two of them have nice potential for some kitbashes I've been thinking about, but the rest...I dunno.

I know this is going to sound like "whoa, tough crowd!" type of complaint, but the vast difference in appearance between the movie characters and the toys makes me less interested in them. The movie characters, on screen, have a lot of detail. These details could be nicely emulated on the movie toys themselves with some additional dry-weathering paint apps around the joints, in nooks and crannies, etc.

...but it's not. While the movie characters look big and realistic and weathered and detailed on screen, the paint apps for the toys resemble the level of paint apps for the Cybertron or Energon run of figures - basic enough to deliver the message of "hey, here's where this guy is painted," but not detailed enough to suggest a battle-worn Cybertronian warrior made up of complex machinery.

This is going to sound really goofy, but the movie toys look like, well, just that - toys. They have real basic paint schemes. The weathering, detail painting, etc. just isn't there. And I really wish it was; that level of detail in the paint apps alone would probably convince me to buy more of the movie dudes. As it is though, I don't have enough time to sit there and hand-weather and detail each of those guys; nor am I interested in doing that.