Am I the only one who misses Alts?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Mixmastah, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Mixmastah

Mixmastah Scientist

News Credits:
    Personally I loved the Alts line, but im really dissapointed hasbro discontinued it!

2. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I'm sure a lot of people miss Alts... If you really think about it, HA's were kinda like alts.

3. Mixmastah

Mixmastah Scientist

News Credits:
    I think the HA line is the closest we'll ever get to alts :(  but alts were way more detailed!

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Yeah, once Action Masters came, I think a lot of us started missing alt modes...

5. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
  6. VaderPrime1

VaderPrime1 Prepare for termination!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I really liked the concept of Alternators, but I feel that the application was often done poorly. I would love to see them come back with the advancements we've had since then.

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was one of my favorite sub-lines, no doubt about it. Still irked to this day that we didn't get at least 2-3 new designs that could have squeezed out 2-3 character repaints each. Most notably, a Bumblebee/Cliffjumper design, an Ironhide/Ratchet design and a Trailbreaker/Hoist design. Anything above & beyond those ones would have just been cake.

8. Mixmastah

Mixmastah Scientist

News Credits:
    I think a movie Alts line would be kinda cool, but they would be hard to design accurately I would imagine

9. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    There was always something about them being real world vehicles that I loved.

10. Mixmastah

Mixmastah Scientist

News Credits:
    I guess its the fact that you could actually own a car like them and claim it as a Transformer lol, but the movie line did not bring back that feeling for me

11. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I miss them but the saddest part is they were one brainless repaint away from making the loss hurt less. Rumble repainted to Frenzy arghhhhh!

12. ScottyP

ScottyP Got The Touch

News Credits:
    I was more looking forward to Frenzy repainted as Rumble. :horse: 

But yeah, alts were amazing. I finally completed the US releases last year. I wish the prototype only Super-Crazy-Mega-Alternators like Tank Megatron/etc. had happened.

13. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

The Alternators were an interesting sub-line, but I never 100% loved them as much as some fans on these boards.

I have long maintained that my primary reason for disliking the Alternators was the fact that they were so damn complex, some of the molds (Side Swipe and Grimlock being the only one I ever owned) looked great, monumental in vehicle mode, but cut a lot of corners to make the robot. Sticking us with some really terrible kibble.

I never found them fun to transform or fiddle with, they were display items for older collectors and even I, an older collector at that time in his early twenties, just couldn't get behind them for lacking the playability and fun factor of most of the other toylines.

However! The engineering behind them were pretty damn impressive, cop out cost cutting measures included. They made brilliant looking figures, simply brilliant, and I really think it was ahead of its time. As far as engineering is concerned.

I would love to see Hasbro revive this line with all of the new engineering tricks they've mastered now. Just to see what they might be capable of doing.

I have plans for picking up one or two more Alts to stand with my Swindle to represent that sub-line. For sure I'm getting Shockblast, because I always wanted him. However I may actually decide to buy back Grimlock, unless I can get the Masterpiece version, because... Sad to say, Alternator Grimlock is the best modern figure we've gotten of the character that isn't a Masterpiece figure from any of the recent toylines.

Considering the movie lines have allowed Hasbro to maintain licensing rights with GM I wouldn't mind seeing the reissue some of the old Alternator Molds in a sort of Anniversary Sub-Series of Generations. The problem is I think the prices of them would increase and be a bit harder to sell at Retail Outlets. And if they were store exclusives, Forgeddaboutit.

One final thought. Alternators were far too rushed to market initially, I really think that supremely hurt this line because it cause distribution to stagnate to the point where Smokescreen and Side Swipe were the only duo you could find on store shelves more than half the time. Hasbro should have had the sense to hold off on releasing the figures until they could make a case assortment of three or more characters to start off with.

14. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Loved the Alternators line and wish they wouldve continued it

15. amethysted

amethysted Well-Known Member

Oh no my friend. You are NOT alone...

Voyager size Transforming cars with realistic styles and chrome deco?

Engines that turn into weapons?

Yea, I miss Alts, too...

Ill never give up Silverstreak, Smokescreen or Ravage...

16. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Yes, definitely miss them. I would love to see the line come back. But I need some remolds of certain characters.

17. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I absolutely loved them. I wish they'd gone the extra mile (takara especially) to make the HA's as nice as the alt/bt's. I actually think some of the best HAs actually had better bot modes than the alts- but they never tried quite as hard with the car modes.

18. kjyl

kjyl I'm a shark.

Except ugly as hell.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I miss Binaltech. Alternators were a cool low-rent version, but I want the die-cast and better paint jobs of Binaltech. The plastic is less satisfying and the Alts feel more fragile in my hands.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Even though Die-cast was heavier, caused balance issues, paint chips and put stress of the plastic components.