Am I the only one who feels there are double standards going on?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Lord Tron

Lord Tron Well-Known Member

You can think that it's alright but I need to ask you what was it that G1 got right that the movies got wrong, does it relate to character development, the narrative and story? You're asking for better writing but here's the question why do you like something why do you like the twist with the ark in BW, is it because of how it effects the plot and characters or because it tied back to G1? The answer to this question is very important regarding ones judgement of writing.

It doesn't make sense because you won't let it make sense. Here's another explanation they take on the language and voice of the surrounding area wherever they arrive. Hotrod is in Europe during WWII who were one of the main allies France, It's likely Hotrod worked with a French army him having the accent of one of the main allies he likely worked with isn't far fetched. Dino landing in Italy and scanning their language and accent isn't far fetched. A robot taking on the voice and accent of whatever is in the surrounding area makes complete sense, why assume an English sounding voice if that's not the culture in the surrounding area. It makes sense if you think of anything beyond I don't like how they sound.

Instead of looking for problems think of solutions. Why doesn't Sam use the shard to revive optimus, well look at where they are, he's a fugitive wanted by every government in the middle of nowhere with no idea where the heck Nest is nor does he have any means of getting there and if he did manage to find them he would be throwing himself to the people hunting him and would never reach optimus. It's not an option and it's suicide. Instead of looking for problems and claiming nothing makes sense, look for solutions and make sense of it. If you can't make sense of it no matter how hard you try then it becomes a problem.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan ...angel to others.

News Credits:
    I think this makes sense. Cybertronians can change their peripheral appearance (not to mention the whole Transforming thing,) so why wouldn't they latch onto and mimic a culture they like. They also have to program in the native language, so they can pick whatever they fancy. The wreckers were scottish! Also how do you know, Samurais weren't originally modelled after Drift?! That seems to be the route they're taking!

Well yeah, but they always seem to pick something appropriate to their personalities. Wasn't it Smokescreen who took about 3 episodes of Prime to find an alt-mode he liked?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  3. Livingdeaddan

News Credits:
    Ive noticed you've started using paragraphs! good for you!

4. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

And here we are sgain. Because I don't like something, I am obviously blocking my enjoyment of what is something good. I am doing it to myself. I'm not allowed to just dislike something for my own reasons, I have to be convinced. No, you haven't insulted me, no, I am not triggered. I know you are just trying to explain so that I see things as you do. But I won't. As stated above several times, I personally feel it's a poor excuse for trying to make certain characters stand out, when decent writing can do that.

At any rate, I hope you continue to enjoy the movies, I hope you like the 5th as much as the others, but I think this personal discussion is concluded, as you can't change how I feel, and you can't understand I personally don't like that feature. Besides, I'm afraid we may be highjacking this thread XD.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

Yes but are we talking Prime or Bayverse? In non-Bayverse it's usually accepted the bots choose their alts on personal preferance. Some, as SS, can agonize about it. As stated in the wiki, in the Bayverse, it's seen as a defense mechanism, get your alt immedieatly and blend in.

6. Music

Music Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    It's used to be like that up until AOE. I wouldn't call a truck with 6 smokestacks and a Lamborghini Centenario an everyday disguise.

• Like Like x 2
  7. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer I rise, you fall

News Credits:
    Where did the wiki get that info? Technically, the only canon information is what's in the movies themselves.

8. Livingdeaddan

News Credits:
    I mean not even until AOE. For example, Sideswipe was a car that you can't buy, Bumblebee always finds the latest Camarro a year before it comes out, the wreckers are all one of a kind personalised racecars, even Sentinel pondered over his alt mode in the dotm book.
    Both... all really. There has always been those that use everyday vehicles, but the other "half" of the ranks are filled up with exotic sports cars and vehicles closely related to the bots function or personality, going right back to G1 until today.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blot

Blot Terrorcon

News Credits:
    I was one of those people who never heard of anything after G1 (well, I was vaguely aware of Beast Wars, but that's it). I also did not follow anything about the first movie on the internet at all--just saw some trailers/commercials and they got me excited. After seeing it, it was my favorite movie ever and I was actually really pleased with the little nods to G1 (the yellow VW beetle in the parking lot, Sam saying "more than meets the eye," etc.). Maybe I just had low expectations for strict faithfulness to the original, since the last time a favorite cartoon/toy of mine got turned into a live action movie was Masters of the Universe :lol 

10. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

There are things I think G1 did better.

The use of color made it easy to tell who is who in any given moment. Real easy to tell Starscream, Thundercracker, and Skywarp apart even though they are the same robot designs and same alt modes. Put 20 robots in some fist fight and you can still who is who at a glance. The rather simple art style also meant it didn't take many features to make the robot's head stand out.

The voice actors were just better at characters who don't get a load of lines. Let's face it every robot didn't a load of episodes so to have any personality the voice actors had to pack in a lot of personality into just a few lines. With all the great talent Hasbro has been able to tap over the years G1 still feels like the default voice for characters like Starscream and Jazz.

G1 at least for a while was able to understand hey we have more episodes so it wasn't a pile of dead Decepticons every episode. If you liked one of the bad guys there was a darn good chance you'd see them again at some point in the series. That's part of why fans felt so stabbed in the back when the animated movie started just killing characters left and right. Even Beast Wars was smart enough to say hey people like Waspintor so let's keep the lovable loser around.

But making the movies G1 wouldn't be enough to fix the films. While nostalgia can be a powerful force it takes more than nostalgia. Live action movies with Carbombya wouldn't leave very many people happy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Rooks Gang Leader

News Credits:
    It's not a good reason though. In the first movie Optimus Prime says that they learned English from the World Wide Web. It's a fair assumption that other things were learned as well. Culture, what sort of alt mode they might desire to scan, dialect, accents, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Well... Not completely. It seems like we've gotten ourselves into a 'hierarchical canon's situation, where 'expand universe' stuff like comics, novels, toy bios, etc. Are 'canon', except they can be superceded by something that gets closer and closer to the films, the films themselves taking primacy. So while all that other stuff is still official hastak material, and thus, 'canon', it is not held at the same level as the films if the films contradict that source material.

The only other option is to try and build multiple overlapping continuities based on a whole bunch of media that was probably never meant to fit together in the first place.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If we go under the idea that the Transformers really are alien then yea it makes a great deal of sense that not only would you need to know the language to blend in and hide but you'd have to know something about the culture as well. It's kind of like the movie Inglourious Basterds where the character knew how to speak film German but since he didn't know the culture he stood out in the little bar.

I think it is one of the live action strengths not to always go with American culture as the default since it's a really big world with a lot of different cultures so why wouldn't an alien robot go hey this other culture appeals to me more than the American one.

• Like Like x 3
  14. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    If there's one thing I have to ask about the people who think or even believe that the movies are held to a different standard then the other TF series when it comes to adapting the source it's that why should the movies be the only TF series to be beholden to being more like G1 to begin with? Is it because it's the very first? I know that it's the most well known TF series aside from the movies but still why is it so imperative that it should be more G1 then the other TF series? I mean some of the most important TF lore to come into the brand came from other TF series after G1. There's also the fact that we have other versions of the G1 universe aside from Sunbow that people prefer or like as much so even if they went for a more G1 direction that still raises the question from which G1 to adapt from so you'd still have in fighting one way or another.