Am I the only one who feels there are double standards going on?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Apr 3, 2017.

1. John TheDestroyer

John TheDestroyer I rise, you fall

News Credits:
    At least nobody's arguing now. :lol 

2. Livingdeaddan

Livingdeaddan ...angel to others.

News Credits:
    yes they are!

;) 

3. John TheDestroyer

News Credits:
    No they're not!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

A good point, but for some, we actually didn't know that for a while. A lot of people saying the movies ruined tf are us older folk who grew up with G1. The thing to remember here, is that a lot of us, myself included, had no idea the other tf things existed; Prime, Armada, etc. So when I saw the commercials for the first movie, I expected it to be G1. So I was horrified by what they did. It honestly wasn't until several years later did I hear someone say the movies weren't supposed to be G1. That never occured to a lot of people. Now that we know, we're a little more understanding.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Javelin

People trying to push their opinions on others who disagree, AND people who act like saying you hate the movie/show/comic means you hate the person who doesn't.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Javelin

Again, a lot of "G1-ers" literally never saw the other shows, so it was a bit of a shock. Just as an example, when I saw the first movie, my thoughts: "Oh, OP isn't a cabover? Ok, I get it. Wait, why can't bee talk? What's the Cube? That makes no sense.". I honestly was angry it was so different, until I was told it wasn't supposed to be G1. I can't help but wonder how many others complaining really do know it's not SUPPOSED to be G1?

As for the appearances of some, some are ok. I don't like them with accents simply because I don't think a person from a completely different alien culture would so quickly adopt an earth human accent. It just seems weird. As for Drift, I think they're pushing the "honourable warrior" too far by making him look like an actual samurai. I haven't seen any other interpretation of him where he is so severely shown as being in an earth culture.

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    There is RID15 Drift who also evokes strongly a samurai if that's what you mean.

8. Javelin

Evokes? Or looks like he stepped from a museum in authentic armor and talks with a thick accent?

9. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    Somewhat both.

10. Javelin

It could be argued that since aoe came out in 2014, rid15 drift is just copying the movie, though.

11. kaijuguy19

News Credits:
    True but still RID15 Drift is still in a way strongly designed after an actual samurai just as much so as AOE Drift.

I have a pic of RID15 Drift if you still want to know what he looks like.

Amazon.com: TRANSFORMERS TAV18 "Drift" figure by TAKARA TOMY: Toys & Games

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  12. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I'm not a fan of the live action movies at all. I was raised on G1 so I'm sure that's a part of the reason why, but I also enjoyed Beast Wars (once it was properly linked to G1) and Beast Machines, but really haven't cared for any other incarnation of the franchise.

I don't think that makes me a bad person. I just think that a lot of the things G1 got right (as cheesy as it was) the movies get wrong. I do think they should make the bots more unique, as I still can't tell who is fighting whom. I don't really think Michael Bay is all that good of a director (although 13 hours was pretty epic). I think the Transformers deserve a movie with better writing, better direction and better design. It doesn't mean it has to match G1, but a good, quality movie would go far to TF fans still holding out.

By the way, I don't hate you because you like the movies. Hell, I love the Star Wars Prequels which makes me a blithering idiot in most internet circles.

• Like Like x 1
  13. John TheDestroyer

News Credits:
    There are two simple possibilities for this.
    1- When Drift came to earth, the Samurai were the closest earth culture to his Cybertronian culture. So he adopted their accent and look.
    2- Drift came to earth in ancient times and the Samurai themselves are based on Drift (this one is a bit out there).

14. Javelin

Eh. Again, I think it comes down to personal likes and dislikes. To me, if Drift had been here before, the movie would have made mention of that. Likewise, from what we know of Cybertronians, I don't think it would have been that much of a similarity. It's not just Drift, either. Bay seems to have a thing of, "give the robot the accent of whatever country the car comes from". There was an Italian one in tbe second movie, Drift is oddly Japanese, and now Hot Rod is going to have a french accent. Personally, as my own opinion, it makes no sense. But as explained in previous posts, I certainly don't crap on anyone who likes the idea.

Ps: please excuse any odd typos, I'm using my phone and I keep hitting the wrong buttons XD

15. Javelin

I still don't get WHY he would take that much of an appearance, BUT to each their own. The original point of the thread was sorta why some people don't like the Bay movies, and for me, that's just one example.

16. John TheDestroyer

News Credits:
    Exactly. I don't see how that doesn't make sense to you.

17. Javelin

That a alien robot takes on a car form from another country, the robot suddenly takes on the language, accent and cultural traite. It's weird to me. It's like you buying Italian shoes and suddenly you speak the language.

18. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Rust Bucket

News Credits:
    Spread the love!

• Like Like x 2
  19. John TheDestroyer

News Credits:
    No. The robot likes that culture, so it takes on those traits, including the car.

20. Javelin

Well, except that according to TF Wiki, as soon as a Transformer lands on earth, it instantly seeks an alt mode to blend in, meaning they choose the form long before they grasp the culture.

"In the rare case they are not actively practicing their natural proclivity for chameleon-like disguise (usually only when engaged in interstellar travel), Transformers shed their exo-structure and return to their protoform state. This protoform is capable of transforming into its transition form: an armored, cometary shape capable of interstellar travel. Upon landing on a new world and transforming back into a protoform, the Transformer immediately begins trans-scanning for new alternate forms to adopt. When one is chosen, the protoform draws on its own ultra-dense substance and any extraneous matter nearby to generate a new exostructure disguise." Transformers: The Movie Guide

Again, I understand if people love the movie, I do. I'm just trying to explain why some DON'T. That is just one thing that to me, personally, in my own personal opinion, makes no sense and is a poor excuse for wanting to make some Transformers look and sound different. There are others ways to do it other than "Oh, this car is made in France, sure, we'll give them the accent too". As stated by some above, it feels, to me, that the writers just didn't really bother to do any research into the many many core lore of the TF universes, and I mean all of them. Not just G1.

If others, like you, say, enjoy the movie, great! I'm glad you like it, I honestly am. But for those who can't grasp WHY some of us don't, well, there's just one reason out of many. To some, like me, there are things that just make no sense.