Am I the only one who feels there are double standards going on?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by kaijuguy19, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Yesss!!!

The cool thing about Galvatron is that we are introduced to him as a prototype meant to resemble Optimus, so the audience initially thinks of him as a robot who transforms. It's not that he's a robot that's in disguise. The humans are well aware of this. It's his sapience that is in disguise.

If you want my opinion, I think Megatron is not a regular Cybertronian whose existence is connected to a physical spark at this point in time. The very fact he survived as a head shows that he can survive without a spark. Furthermore, the Allspark overwhelmed his Spark chamber in 2007, and he was revived with the Allspark shard in ROTF. Megatron may very well have once been a regular Cybertronian, but he has not since at least ROTF in my mind and possibly even before then. I think his mind and essence transcend the limits of regular Cybertronians at this point in time, so I myself would love to see that explored further. I guess we'll see how the writers and production treat that aspect of him.

• Like Like x 7
  2. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Megatron had a spark, he's just like any other Transformer. His mind was copied and downloaded into Galvatron's framework.

He was definitely dead, he's just a high functioning zombie with mind transference.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

That's something some of the movieverse white knights (well look at that, irony) don't seem to understand. Sure, the whole knight aesthetic thing is something to keep the movies from being more of the same Autobots vs Decepticons and getting boring, but there are other ways to do that too. IDW and RID1X both currently take place after the war, and Beast Wars took place before human civilization. They could even take it into space* or something, which I think lots of people would prefer to the whole medieval theme.

*Having a live-action TF movie in space would probably be hard though, since the movies already focus on humans and Earth environments because that's easier than making everything CGI.

lemme just link you to a very relevant theory i came up with a while back

just pls do not zombie the thread

Well, the way Brains worded it was really weird, so anything would make more sense than "He infected it with his evil, nasty chromosomes."

...Seriously, what?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Great thread, and I actually think at this point he may as well be immortal. Like I said, I think Megatron's existence is no longer limited to the presence of a Spark.

Oh, I agree he was once a normal Transformer, but he certainly isn't anymore was my point.

As for being dead, well Brains said, "That mind wasn't as dead as they thought," so I would certainly think Megatron is still alive. Then again I suppose a character could be dead in one sense and alive in another. Although truth be told the nature of Galvatron and Megatron's existence as a disembodied head is really a subject to go into depth in other threads and not this one.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think you have to look at what are the expectations of cartoons and what are the current expectations of movies.

Cartoons are pretty constant change and people have seen that it's change for decades. The Batman cartoons change, the Spider Man cartoons change, when they bring back Scooby Doo it's different. At this point people expect cartoons to be different and that the vast majority of cartoons are going to have a run of so many years and then change. Sure the Simpsons are the exception to the rule but if you just hated a show like The Batman just give it two or three years and some all new all different Batman cartoon will come and take it's place.

But because some movies have made massive amounts of money off of nostalgia people expect studios to slather the nostalgia on thick. The Marvel/Disney movies put the nostalgia on thick, Star Wars is all about how can we cash in more on the original movies with the new movies. Disney will need a fleet of boats to haul the money from the nostalgia trip of the live action Beauty and the Beast. Heck even Fast and the Furious was hey I know that character was supposed to be dead but they need to come back so we can cash in on that sweet sweet nostalgia money. When films break from nostalgia people cry foul. Not just Transformers look at all the things people say aren't right when the superhero movies make changes. Rhino is a guy in a mech instead of a guy with powers in a costume, boo kill it with fire.

With movies and change you just about need something that can be almost universally loved. It can't be eh and it can't be I guess it's okay, it has to totally knock it out of the ball park. As long as other films are more than willing to serve up a heaping plate of nostalgia it's just really hard for other films to break from nostalgia. With the current expectations people have for movies if you can't just wow them off their feet then they will just continue to pick apart changes to things like the Spider Man costume long after the theatrical run.

Make an Avengers and people will not get caught up on if Iron Man's armor is the right shade of red. Make Batman v Superman and people will rip into anything they can find to punish the studio for it's sins.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    There most certainly is. But that's just how some people are. It's almost unhealthy how some people post paragraphs on top of paragraphs about how terrible the movies are and how they utterly ruined Transformers forever.

The people complaining about it not being accurate to G1 need to accept the Movies aren't G1, and that their endless whining and crying will never make them G1. So they should stop.

• Like Like x 6
  7. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    But these people have a voice and need to be heard.

But, no....seriously, they're bordering on insanity. Literally.

They call it hope. We know it's insanity.

And that's exactly what they're doing. The movies, as of right now, are not going to change. It's been this way for a decade.

Some have come to terms with the facts and have given up. They become keyboard warriors and armchair film critics.

Generally, their complaints have merit. The films are nowhere near perfect. The fans and their positivity also have merit. That said, letting the movieverse consume you to the extent it has some people is just scary.

These films cannot change your life in any way, shape or form. It's impossible. Not improbable, but impossible.

Time to get over the fact this isn't G1, time to quit complaining about the movies and it's time to stop watching them after you clearly hate them so much and for so long.

Move on. Find other TF aspects to embrace. Use your imagination. Go and function as a human being, stop.hating a human being for a set of movies that don't fit your world view.

It stops being an opinion when it silences others because you're being so loud and beating the dead horse so loud it echoes for a decade. That's not how people have a conversation. That's how you silence others because of self-righteous indignation you haven't earned and allowed your delusions of grandeur to run your show.

It also make people not like you, so there's that as well.

Sideways, you and I are on the same page. All the way.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Niv3k

Niv3k RED ALERT WOO WOO WOO

News Credits:
    The movies helped to bring the Transformers franchise to what it is today. They even brought me back to collecting etc.

There are people who only like for example G1, which is fine. But that doesn't mean that some people have to declare the war to Michael Bay in god knows how many occasions.
    We're at movie number five now so we know what to expect and it's not that they erase other continuities from existence.

The movies borrow elements from various continuities in the Transformers franchise and update them were needed to fit in with the modern day society. This seems to work because they make a ton of money. Does this mean that the movies are flawless? Definitely not. But I, and many others do enjoy them.

Please enjoy the movies for what they are. If not, that's fine because the franchise has plenty to offer outside of the Movieverse.

Well, I'll get back to my MP-36 Megatron while watching clips from the movies.
    (I know. Blasphemy)

• Like Like x 3
  9. TFXProtector

News Credits:
    *points* Youuuuu.... *shakes fist in a judgmental manner*

• Like Like x 5
  10. Ash from Carolina

Perhaps part of the problem is while there are things outside of the movieverse the current new offering outside of the movieverse aren't exactly great stuff.

The new toys based on a G1 sort of seem to be getting to the point of looping around back to characters rather than filling in holes in a collection. Kup and Hot Rod get new molds but if you are looking for G1 inspired Dinobots out of Hasbro the wait seems like a it will never happen wait.

The current cartoon seems to be aimed too hard at young children for some people to really enjoy it. Not that a cartoon for that demographic is a horrible thing but it leaves a lot of people without a new cartoon fix if they were going to skip the movies and stay home to watch new cartoons.

That unwatchable internet series, ouch if that's all older fans are going to get no wonder us geezers have the torches and pitchforks out.

Comic books, hey I'm not made out of money when Hasbro is already taking my money for improved molds.

If you are a fan of the movies there is stuff to get excited about. If you are in that target demographic for Robots in Disguise there is stuff to get excited about. But if you fall don't fall into those two demographics because something like Beast Wars was more your thing then there doesn't seem to be much to get excited about except the occasional toy release. If the movies aren't your thing and the current cartoon isn't your thing then it's kind of like a drinking party and you are the designated driver. So perhaps people feel like Transformers isn't currently as big tent as it could possibly be.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Niv3k

News Credits:
    In my opinion the current Generations line is doing great. Ofcourse Optimus and Bumblebee will get multiple figures, but that's not all the line has to offer. Headmasters, Titans and obscure characters are getting figures. But I agree that there are still many characters that deserve a (updated) figure. And don't forget that Beast Wars is getting love from the Masterpiece line.

The cartoon front is indeed kinda messy right now. I hope that the new cartoon by Boulder Media Studio will be great. As for the internet series.. yeah that wasn't what I hoped it would be. I really hope the sequel will be better.

Comic books. Try them! They're great and for the older fans. There are sales to get a ton of them on digital format from time to time too.

But I can't change how you and others feel about the brand right now. I seriously hope that there's something to get excited about in the near future for you :) 

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ash from Carolina

I was thinking maybe the trade paperbacks. It seems like it would save the hassle of the few comic book shops left, no missing issues, and between Amazon and geek conventions a shot at finding them on sale. Guess I just really need to get around to Googling what order I need to read them in.

13. Niv3k

News Credits:
    The easiest way to read them is to get the IDW Collection Hardcovers. I have those and they're great.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Greeeeaaaattt... Another "There is something wrong with people who don't like the movies" thread...

There are people whose dislike for the movies can at best be described as closed-minded because it is not the exact version of Transformers they saw when they were six. Even if it were a direct frame to frame copy, it probably wouldn't resonate with them the same way, because they are no longer six.

There are people whose defense of the movies can at best be described as irrational and dismissive, whose logical gymnastics seek to write off criticism whole cloth regardless of its basis or motivation.

There's probably not a huge number of either type of people, compared to the thousands of people in this site.

Basically, there's such a wide degree of feelings about these movies on the boards that anyone can basically point to any generalized stance and have at least one example of a user to back it up. But that's hardly the same as actually understanding where the community as a whole, or even significant segments of it, is coming from.

Taking the example of incarnations of various characters, there's plenty of people who would prefer a more similar resemblance to 'iconic' versions of characters in the movies, but there's also plenty of people who are fine with reinterpretations, but who take issue with the execution of the characters in the movies. Changing a character into something new for a new setting isn't necessarily a good or bad thing at its core, it's HOW it's done that matters. Barricade is probably a good example of this, I don't really recall many people melting down over him not resembling his micromaster version over the last 10 years. Instead, he seems to have been fairly well accepted. See also: Blackout. Maybe its because previous versions of these characters were minor ones, leaving more room to "play" with them in people's perceptions, that's probably worthy of another discussion. The point I'm trying to make, however, is that it's probably folly to try and paint people with the same brush, because (while I'm sure there's at least a handful of people who see the movies with double standards), people's feelings and perceptions of the films are probably more complicated than how they're presented here, on both sides, and the only way we're going to understand them is if we bother to listen to eachother, something the movie forum has, frankly, been monumentally terrible at for the last... decade I guess. Int the specific case of double standards around character interpretations, there might not even be a true double standard across the community for these characters/interpretations, because they might not be applying the same criteria in looking at the two mediums, and it might not even be the same fans talking about their attitudes towards these characters!

So basically, what I'm getting at, and I've completely lost track of how many times I've said it in the movie forum at this point, is try to avoid looking at things like

"movie fans drive like this" *a doot doot doot doot doot*
    "but movie CRITICS, they drive like THIS" *a deedle deedle deet deet*

• Like Like x 4
  15. Jazz210

Jazz210 Est.2011

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Id say u think or thought of the same shit ive been thinking ever since ppl have been saying "bay raped their childhood".
    Good post my friend

16. BarricadeLives

BarricadeLives i'm you! i'm your shadow!

in my opinion, film versions are their own continuity & while they may be inspired by other versions & continuities they shouldn't be beholden to them..i feel like if you look at it that way, you will enjoy the film versions a little more

17. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    The other continuities have left enough of the character's appeals the same, at least for the characters I care for. I saw Armada for example only a few years ago. I'm not going to go complain about an old show how weird I found it, that they had one guy who looks like Springer, but had the name of another bot and then there was Wheeljack who was not Wheeljack and some other guy and whatever. I loved that they had Rodimus Prime in Energon, I found the design of Alpha Q really weird and would have preferred the original design, but I guess the new design worked for that show. I totally hated the departure of style in animated, how stylized it is. They went into a completely different direction then the deviation of style of the movies. Which I also hate. The rest of the shows are all more or less in line. RID had some weird new designs which I also often did not like, but they were still more in line with the rest than the movies. It was a little like some fun episodes of G1 actually, only with different designed bots. But Animated had the advantage that it had great writing, which the movies lack. So that's why I can still like Animated, although I hate the designs. The movies are the only thing really that stick out like something that bares the name Transformers and does not fit in. BUT I have to say I had to get used to Hasbro re-using character names for new continuities that have nothing in common with the characters of G1. But at least the shows were all enjoyable, so I could overlook that fact and got used to it. The characters in the movie just being nameslaps is the movies' least problems.

18. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

Dude you are my new best friend! Now I'm not saying everybody needs to like these films or if you don't there is something wrong with you, just that even if you don't you shouldn't ruin it for other people.

19. AOEGalvatronRox

AOEGalvatronRox Collector

News Credits:
    This is quite possibly the most beautiful rebuttal towards the "Not like the source material" arguments I have ever seen.

20. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    I've brought your last point up before and I was vehemently told "that it wasn't true" even with factual evidence. Total denial.

I know three people here off the top of my head that have flat out denied it and simply refuse to just enjoy the fruits of the franchise that the movies have brought to the table.

And those are on my block list now. It's like trying to talk to a brick wall.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 2