Am I the only one who feels like DOTM is going out with a whimper?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by harrismonkey, Jul 24, 2011.

1. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

I think the problem is with the majority of the line consisting of multiple Bumblebees (just about every wave of deluxes and exclusives has included some form of him), Bumblebee at all price points, and numerous repaints of the Starscream and Ratchet molds, added with how long it will be before we get any more original molds (Mirage, Wheeljack, Soundwave & Leadfoot). I mean, Wave 4 is just repaints of Ratchet and Bee.

And the majority of stores in my area have yet to see HA Roadbuster. The shelves are completely clogged with HA DOTM BB and Skids.

I'm disappointed because at Botcon they made it sound like they were really holding back a lot of cool DOTM stuff because they didn't want to OMG SPOILER the movie before it came out, but then the reveals at SDCC were pretty disappointing...HA Soundwave is getting less and less appealing by the minute, and the fact that there isn't anything but repaints of waves 1 & 2 coming out until late September/early October at the earliest is really a shame.

And having to wait until late this year or next year for even photos of the other two DOTM leader class molds is fucking criminal IMO.

2. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is, if they're even coming at all. Nevertheless, I remain optimistic we'll see another Leader class mold. Leader Starscream also came a year after ROTF debuted (HTFD), so it's not an unprecedented move.

3. shockwave2005

shockwave2005 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know. I would have been satisfied if they had just given us a peek at the Megatron mold.

Although, after two movie lines full of lackluster molds of Megatron...I could understand if they're waiting to unveil it because they want to get it absolutely right like they did with ROTF Prime.

4. Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst Well-Known Member

I thought it was a pretty bad sign for the line when the Deluxe I was most excited about was the Ratchet repaint in wave 4. Seemed like shame since while I was watching the movie there were so many in it that I would have picked up on the spot if Hasbro had bothered to make them.

5. SkyfiRe71

SkyfiRe71 Precursor

Rather then take their time and bring us kick ass toys later than rush and roll out plastic garbage for us tomorow.

6. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    DOTM is mostly over. The new toys we saw at SDCC will most likely be it for new figures for the line. We will just get repaints for the next 2 years (shakes head at hasbro). Without pulling a Bumblebee they can't really re-release too many characters without things not selling (not that the bumblebees sell either but ya know).

I look forward to some of the voyager prime stuff, generations, and the next big thing.

7. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I agree with many of the comments so far. I have not gone out of my way for any of this stuff, but just by randomly picking up figures in no hurry I seem to have bought most of them. Not many have impressed me and the quality of design (mainly joint articulation) has been less than ROTF.

I hope Prime gets a lot of attention because it looks exactly right for me right now.

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Redecos happened yes, but not a single mainline figure is from RotF!

What makes you say that? A lot of the highlights of RotF came a year and more after the film. Considering how friendly the retailers are to movie lines, I would be surprised if DotM is stillborn. Not THAT surprised though, as Hasbro's handling of the line has been a bit bizarre.

*Generalized bitching about movie toys* <-- you guys are off-topic.

9. Nope

Nope yscohb

News Credits:
    As long as I get my Darksteel I'll be happy.

As long as I don't get Mirage I'll be happier.

10. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

:lol 
    I found that funny for some reason.

11. Shockwave69

Shockwave69 Supreme Leader

thing is, didnt they have the same problem with Audi couple years ago? anyway, easy fix is, make the toy the 458 but remove all ferrari logos and stuff.

12. zeroomegazx

zeroomegazx I'm watching you...

News Credits:
    What makes me say that? There is no 4th movie and mostly all of the characters have been covered multiple times. There is not much left to cover. I don't want more versions of the same things we already have unless they are better, and by the looks of most of the DOTM line (i.e. Voyager BB Prime VS DOTM Voyager Prime) its a downgrade so I don't want more of this even if there is more coming.

13. Irv Gotti

Irv Gotti I'm Rick James B%#ch!!

Then Hastak has greatly missed that opportunity with ROTF Megs (a mean, lean tank trumps a rusty truck everytime). The way the DOTM line has been released is rather awkward. Much of the DOTM line's overall engineering has been uninspired (the entire bottom 2/3rd of Leader Ironhide is a cheat, deluxe Soundwave is a pass waiting to happen), no new Voyager Ratchet, re-use of the 2007 Jazz mold, to say nothing of the lack of paint apps (take your pick). After bearing witness to engineering marvels such ROTF Prime, BB 'Bee, TakTom Sidearm Sideswipe, HFTD leader Starscream, HA Jazz among others, DOTM's line just seems lackluster especially compared to the TF Prime line, who's molds are detailed enough on many of their figs as to fit right in with my movie figs.

14. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

How can a line with a scheduled shelf life of two years be going out with anything when it's barely two months old?

The entire toyline is just starting. All the mass release (non-exclusive) figures we've gotten so far were brand new molds. The only repaints in the entire line so far are Voyager Ratchet...who got a new paint job in the movie...store exclusives, which have always been nothing but repaints, and DotM original molds...which always happens to help fill out waves. And in addition to the main line stuff, we've also got the phenomenal Cyberverse stuff, with the new Commander class and Playsets and the new Human Alliance Basics line. In addition to that, we've also gotten three new leaders...with a rumored two more on the way, and the massive Ultimate Prime.

They're not holding back, they're not playing it cheap, they're not ignoring DotM in any way shape or form. They're doing exactly what they did with the first two movie lines. Releasing a mixture of big name characters and non-movie molds first, padding some filler repaints...which are actually pretty nice (T-Cracker, Red Ratchet and Quickstrike Sideswipe spring to mind) and releasing new molds and characters bit by bit in each latter wave. And just like the last two movie lines, chances are the best figures will come at the end of the line...a year+ from now, and may not even be movie characters.

The only one of those figures you listed that came out at the start of RotF was Prime, and he had an entire movie before him to get it right...and then was upstaged half a year later by the Buster Prime version. Everything else came later on, months after the movie was gone from theaters. The first few waves of any toy-line are always kind of meh, especially when the line has a new gimmick. Around Christmas time we'll see a lot more new movie guys who for the most part are an improvement on what we've already gotten.