Am I the only one who feels like DOTM is going out with a whimper?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by harrismonkey, Jul 24, 2011.

1. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know we haven't seen every toy that we'll get in DOTM and what ever HFTD type line follows it, but I've been underwhelmed with this line over all. I kept thinking better stuff was probably coming. But it looks like after several waves of repaints all we have to look forward to is Soundwave and Wheeljack (who looks a bit sketchy).

Is it just me, or does it kinda feel like DOTM is going out with a whimper?

(I am excited about Soundwave, and I know there will be a few more things)

2. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Considering we probably have a year or more of dotm/subline toys I'm betting there will be more great figures.

3. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, can't say the DotM line has been particularly mindblowing. Personally, I can't shake the feeling that HasTak had the A team work on the Prime toyline, with B team on DotM.

4. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    Wouldn't surprise me. I don't know if I'll be collecting Prime toys (I just have too many toys), but over all I'm more impressed with the Prime toys than the DOTM toys we saw.

Also, the sculpt and details on HA Roadbuster are a significant step backwards from HA Jazz and the previous couple HA figures (although still a nice toy). Gievn how up to this point HA had just been getting better and better, I was surprised. This works well with your theory.

5. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I am pretty damn surprised they havent rolled out more characters yet. We have gotten a ton of stuff, but they seem to be doing the same few figures in every size class possible. I am usually only a collector of Deluxe and above (other than smaller characters like Wheelie).

I can't beleive with a list of:
    Q
    Dino
    Soundwave
    Leadfoot
    Brains
    Crowbar
    Hatchet

We have yet to see any in Deluxe+ hit retail (except a smaller Brains). I know some have been announced, but they are really trickling them out. It also seems like we havent gotten too much for Voyagers. Even though they didn't really focus on many of the new bots development in the movie, there are a lot of figures seen on screen that we could get. Instead we already have new molds for Skids and Mudflap who were only seen in car mode for about 5 seconds during the movie.

My hope is that they wanted to wait for completed CGI to finish the toy models, and are working to give us something nice. Wishful thinking I guess.

6. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    LOTS of repaints so soon, with a lot of molds from ROTF already to me indicates a lack of drive for this line. I wouldn't be surprised with all the work going into Prime that DOTM really has taken a bit of a backseat compared to Prime.

7. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon Clods.

I never really got the impression that they weren't trying; the figures I have so far are pretty well-engineered and fun, and it seems more like Hasbro has been just been pulling its punches with DOTM. You know, holding back for the sake of dragging things out longer, at least until Prime can finally get off the ground. Along with the necessary delays over things like the reveals of Soundwave's various toys (what with his alt mode being a spoiler and all), as well as the legal kerfluffle with Mattel over Mirage's vehicle mode. I, for one, am looking forward to most of what's in store later down the line, even if I wish a lot of it had come earlier.

But, hey, what do I know? I seem pretty much incapable of hating anything; I just don't like feeling negative about stuff, so I always look for the positives.

8. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    Is there a known story over legal issues over Mirage? I've been suspicious something is going on, but I haven't seen anything beyond wild speculation and the absence of ANY toys (including some goofy little toys we got leaks of way before the movie came out).

EDIT: If there was a legal issue that might explain some of the repaints. Granted we've never even heard rumors of a HA Mirage, but it would have been a very logical wave 1 toy. If they have toys they pulled because of legal issues, it would explain the bizarre choice to start the DOTM line off with two repaints technically not even in the movie, and possibly why either the 4th or 5th wave of deluxes is ALL repaints.

9. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon Clods.

Well, what we DID hear from Nelson is that Mattel evidently has an exclusive deal with Ferrari over toys of their cars, which necessitated Mirage's last-minute name change to Dino, since Hasbro couldn't attach one of their established names to the product. Most folks just connected the dots when they realised that at the same time this was happening, there was a curious lack of any kind of announcement of Mirage toys. One theory I heard floating around is that his toy might have been delayed in order to change the vehicle mode to look more generic or something.

10. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    Well hell. While I generally like Mirage's bot mode, the BIG thrill for me was that as I kid my absolute favorite cars were Ferrari's. I was really excited to actually have a Ferrari transformer. :( 

11. anotheran

anotheran Old skooler

Hasbro seems a little spread thin on the toys with prime, DOTM, and finishing off the RtS/generations line.

There isn't a whole lot of DOTM toys that I hear ppl excited about. It's been all about getting voyager megatron, then get voyager shockwave, get crankcase, then get leader ironhide, and a few weeks ago it was ultimate prime, think it's get laserbeak these days. guess the next big thing is dlx or HA shockwave. I think I've mentioned quite a bit of DOTM toys.... so who said DOTM is going out with a whimper???

12. BW megatron

BW megatron tiran

I agree with you, DOTM toys have been quite "boring" except for a few.Maybe the line will be more appreciated by kidds then us fans.

13. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    yeah i have to say this is very lack luster so far i have brought fireburstprime roadbuster topspin skyhammer megatron shockwave and the deluxe dread that is out and the ark and voyger and leader sentenialprime

by this point of rotf i had brought a whole heap more in fact twice as much easly

14. harrismonkey

News Credits:
    Now that I'm thinking about it/understanding, I really hope they do a HA Mirage down the line. If it's a knock off rather than a Ferrari, it could be a great custom project to reshell it with a Ferrari body from a 1/24th scale model kit (since HA is close to 1/24th).

15. biscuits

biscuits Sin from Genesis

Maybe they lowered the budget on movie figures to get the Prime toys to be as awesome as they are.

16. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I brought Shockwave as a placeholder for the eventual Classic/Generations Shockwave(when ever Hasbro gets their thumbs out there butts) and Space case who in my opinion doesn't belong in the Bayverse at all.

But the OP is right. This line up sucks compared to last the sequels.

You wanna know why?

Because despite being over 2 1/2 hrs the movie didn't focus on any new Transformers And the few it did were weak.

What was the point of the Dweller/digger?

Any toys for it????

I'm certain that Hasbro will throw out a bunch of generic toys with G1 names that weren't even in the movie like they always do. But there in lies the problem. There's not a lot in the movie to get people pumped so you'll just have to wait for them to throw a bone and hope that it impresses you.

I mean how many repaints/remolds of the same Bayformer cast do Bay fans need???

17. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Side note:That kreo crap is more annoying then the PCC line.

Cut that and just maybe the other lines would flourish a little better.

18. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    I too feel like Hasbro really didn't WOW US at SDCC this week,pretty much 5 figures were shown for DOTM figure line that I might get and they are HA Soundwave,Deluxe SW,Wheeljack, Evac and Deluxe Leadfoot. And thats basically it as they say for DOTM.

Now even tho thats all for DOTM I do have plans to get most if not all of the Prime Figures they showed,those things ROCK,somewhere between movie looking and also real life looking.Even tho what people say on here about DOTM toyline continuing for another year I just say its very unlikely given how little Hasbro showed us,but please don't quote me on that,I just think after Prime releases its gonna die down real quick for DOTM.

Edit:
    Someone brought up Kre-O's,well for me I am really quite pleased with these things and really can't wait to see future waves with like Soundwave,the Dreads,and the Wreckers hopefully,and also Wheeljack and Ironhide.These things are COOL.

19. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    A few characters from your list were shown as deluded at SDCC.

20. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    The number of items released under the DOTM banner that are not in the movie VS the number of items released that ARE in the movie has been pretty mind-numbing.