Am I the only one not happy with the new designs in Bumblebee?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by JazzIsBeast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. JazzIsBeast

JazzIsBeast Well-Known Member

I don't plan on seeing Bumblebee; never did. Though I love TF, I haven't been truly contempt with a film since the second (though looking back on it, I do enjoy TF3 a little more than I used to). tLK completely turned me off from the franchise, and the BB trailer has done me no favors.

That being, i find the redesigns, or at least Bumblebee's redesign to be... I don't know... odd looking. The soft nature and relatively simplistic design makes Bee look fake in comparison to his surroundings. And this is not a case of unfinished CGI; even if the CGI were finished, Bee just looked out of place in the trailer (with the exception of the scene where he's running in the forest).

I never had a problem with Bay's transformer designs; in fact, his designs were one of the key elements into drawing me in as a transformers fan (my first exposure to TF in general was G1 & Energon, btw). The new Bee design just doesn't do it for me.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Azuzu98

Azuzu98 Just an ordinary transformers fans

Of course not,not everyone sharing the same opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    When I first saw the trailer, I actually wasn't sold on Bee's new design. It took me a few watches to warm up to it. It's definitely a shock to see a design this simple after so many years of the more complex ones. I saw someone call it a chibi version of Bumblebee. They're not wrong, in some ways it almost feels like a Pixar-ified version of movieverse Bee.

That much being said, I've fallen in love with the design since. It actually has a lot of elements that I've been wanting in live-action Transformers for years. I like how his robot mode is blocky and solid, but he has complexity to his transformation (kind of like Iron Man's armor). I like how his robot mode is made of of bigger, chunkier pieces of armor. It looks like he could legitimately take punches without losing a bunch of parts and gears (all of those are still visible under the armor, it kind of reminds me of Gipsy Danger). I like the exposed face under the car. I feel like it adds a layer of vulnerability to the Transformers. These are all things that I've been wanting for a long time. Some of my earliest posts on this forum are me asking for these things. It's kind of surreal finally seeing it come to life.

I will say that I think I like the head from the promo artwork a bit better. I also hope we get to see more of the door wings in the final movie. Still, both of these are really just nitpicks because the design is fine the way it is.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    I feel the complete opposite. I actually find the simplified designs far more realistic. Something about them feels more tangible whereas the overly detailed designs felt too complex to ever exist in real life.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 9
  5. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    I do wish they'd given him a fresh, Bay-free start. Wish they'd given him a mouth too. But then he cranked up the adorability to 11 and I became more okay with it.

• Like Like x 6
  6. spikebuster

spikebuster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My nephews don’t. They were planning to skip it because of the Beetle, but after showing them the trailer they’re definitely skipping it because of the redesign.

7. ImAWalkingCorpse

ImAWalkingCorpse Well-Known Member

I'm sure you aren't. But I really like it, at least what I have seen of it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Jamocha101

Jamocha101 Well-Known Member

Obviously you're not the only one who feels that way. But you do seem to have an unpopular opinion.

9. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    I don't agree with Bees new look, but understand why it was changed.

Honestly that's all we've seen. Once we get the full reveal of decepticons, then I can make my decision.

• Like Like x 2
  10. voust

voust a man & a lover

Literally looks nothing like an actual bumblebee.. no wings, no stinger, no big eyes NO FLYING! how can I be happy? How can he possibly produce honey looking like that?

• Like Like x 5
  11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Obviously you don't, but you just wanted people to pay attention to you so you made a thread instead of just posting in any of the existing threads on the movie.

I think the redesign is wonderful, and fits the character they've created for this film.

• Like Like x 9
  12. JazzIsBeast

Well seeing as no one has yet to agree with me in this thread (except for the one thumbs up), my question stands.

Nice try though.

13. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    bumblebeecomparison1.jpg

hmmm....

14. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Don't worry, Spikebuster's nephews agree with you.

• Like Like x 7
  15. JazzIsBeast

I know one is a finalized 3d model, and the other seems to be a stand, but this picture just makes the difference even more glaring.

I would say the difference is due to cgi budget, but the Jet in the trailer is just as complex as some previous TF models (though he has a more G1 feel to him).

• Like Like x 1
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Except it doesn't, because it's literally impossible for you to be the only one who dislikes the style change when there's thousands of fans on TFW alone, and I noticed quite a few people in the trailer thread not thrilled with the redesign.

That's because it's a villain, and being more complex and hard-edged is expected. Bumblebee is supposed to be cute and kind, so being more solid and round makes sense.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    the 2008 design which has been carried over through bay's Transformers movies looks like an ogre and can blow up his enemies' heads or slide out their spines with relative ease.

i kind of like the baby-/child-like re-design of 2018 because it makes him look vulnerable and innocent, but with a lot of fighting spirit in him.

• Like Like x 2
  18. JazzIsBeast

And was he not cute and kind before? Why do you think he's pretty much the most beloved TF from the films by kids and even girls? Because HE WAS ALREADY CUTE AND KIND, without looking like a straight up child (or at least as much of a child as a Transformer can get). He looked like an "adult", yet was still adorable in both his appearance, behavior, and mannerisms. I'm solely basing this off of a trailer, but with this, they've simply went overboard with the "cuteness", even having him cower in the corner like a toddler by the presence of a freaking human, despite the fact that he has been fighting in the war for what, thousands of years? Since when has Bee ever been a p***y?

He was already "cute and kind", but at least still had that warrior look to him. Now, he just looks like a teady bear.

It's not even so much the G1 aesthetic that's my problem, it's HIS PARTICULAR DESIGN. I don't have that much of a problem with the Jet, whomever he may be (though we've only seen his top half so far).

19. Sentinel Lynx

Sentinel Lynx The bane of existence.

Major Spoilers for the Movie:
    According to some people who went to CinemaCon, he's traumatized from a Decepticon attack (no context for that yet) and Charlie swung at him with a wrench when he first transformed, which is why he back away.

Also, he has looked like a walking car accident wearing combat high-heels for the past 5 movies. I'd take ""overly cute"" over that thing ANY day.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cryptwire

News Credits:
    Not sure if these are cute, tho...

The way I’ve viewed 2007 to 2015 live action Bee was a youthful soldier. But I didn’t think he’s cute cute.

The thing that made him “cute” as it were was the beeping R2D2-like sounds.

30089405-61C0-4EC0-983D-3E798FA48C25.jpeg